Old September 3rd 07, 11:37 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Ibiquity's "Gag Order" on engineers

In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Steve" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 3, 3:26 pm, "David Eduardo" wrote:
"Steve" wrote in message

ups.com...

The reason this type of programming sustains a large percentage of AM
stations today is because AM has lost practically all of its listeners
who are below the age of 50. The younger listeners are no longer there
and this is a fact whether you accept it or not.

That is essentially my point. But the programming, if transported to FM
with
better quality, leaps upwards in 35-54 listeners, proving that the main
difficulty of AM is the audio, a problem HD fixes for stations with
decent
signals.

I'm afraid you're wanting to apply bandaids to serious wounds. Perhaps
you just don't appreciate the seriousness of the problem. My guess is
you don't believe me when I say that AM has lost nearly all of its
listeners how are younger than 50, but it is a fact.

Actually, I have the real ratings data and you do not.

And the AM issue is one of quality, not of listeners per se. FM has solid
listening, over 95% usage per week, from age 12 up to over 65. What we have
here is a challenge to improve AM quality, and the only way is a system that
is compatible with FM digital. And that is HD.

The only thing I've noticed is that your Troll posts are up 100% in the
news group.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old September 3rd 07, 11:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Steve" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 3, 2:48 pm, "David Eduardo" wrote:
"Bart Bailey" wrote in message

In posted on
Mon, 3 Sep 2007 08:01:33 -0700, David Eduardo wrote: Begin

People under 50 to 55 will just not listen to the quality of AM radio.

Wouldn't have anything to do with the whole dial being full of
bloviating right wing programming, would it?

The current programming is the only thing that still works on AM. Talk on
the other side of the spectrum has failed miserably in many, many
markets...

What else do you suggest (and i can probably count the hundreds of times
it
has been tried and failed for you).

I suggest doing absolutely nothing. AM is dying. Let it die. Stop
living in the past. Embrace the future. Accept progress because it is
inevitable. You have to realize that time does not stand still for
anyone, not even Ibiquity's stockholders.

iBiquity has only about 8 or 10 shareholders... and "they are us" to some
extent.

Snip

Well just thank God that more people will not be losing money on this
venture.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old September 3rd 07, 11:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Steve" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Sep 3, 3:58 pm, "David Eduardo" wrote:

And the AM issue is one of quality, not of listeners per se. FM has solid
listening, over 95% usage per week, from age 12 up to over 65. What we
have
here is a challenge to improve AM quality, and the only way is a system
that
is compatible with FM digital. And that is HD.- Hide quoted text -

If you have the data, why won't you read it and take it to heart? You
can't breathe new life into the horse-drawn carriage by putting shiny
new wheels on it. I appreciate that you probably have an emotional
investment in AM that makes it hard to acknowledge the challenges it
faces, but it will be easier to confront the facts now than later.

There are 430 AM stations billing over $1,000,000 a year, and ten billing
over $33 million. 2523 AMs are in the top 10 in billing in the rated
markets. 15 of the top 50 billing stations in America are AM.

AM is not dead yet, but the number of viable stations is low; all of those
high billing 15 stations are stations that fully cover their markets,
although not all are 50 kw clear channel stations.

The problem is that the programming on those stations works, but the appeal
to the generations that grew up on FM is lessened by the quality of AM
sound. Put the same format on FM, and it literally explodes in younger
demos. The answer is to fixs the sound, not to give up on billions of
dollars in assets and many tens of thousands of jobs.

Seriously, I wish things were different. I wish I could convince young
people not to buy ipods or iphones. I wish I could convince them to
stay away from myspace and facebook, but I can't. No one can. The
sooner you face this fact that better.

Various studies show that iPod users are greater consumers of radio than
non-users of iPods. The other things you mention are no different than the
completion from 45 rpm records, 8 Tracks, cassettes, video games, etc. There
are lots of entertainment choices, and always have been. In the 50's, TV was
going to kill radio... it just made radio change for the better. HD is one
of the changes that could improve AM radio; it certainly opens up many
opportunities for FMs to provide more formats and services in better
quality.

Old September 3rd 07, 11:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"dxAce" wrote in message

The only thing dxAss is actively engaged in is the dispensation of
vitriol;
he never adds to a discussion but, instead, insults the participants. The
guy is devoid of thoughts and full of bile and invective.

Awww... poor little mentally ill, bat **** crazy, fake Hispanic.

Cry me a rio!!!

You just proved my point.

Old September 3rd 07, 11:50 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

David Frackelton Gleason, so bat **** crazy his mommy drove him to pose as

That you're a poor little mentally ill, bat **** crazy, fake Hispanic?

Old September 3rd 07, 11:55 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Steve" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Sep 3, 4:00 pm, "David Eduardo" wrote:

I'm glad you had a good year, but what you fail to understand is that
your good fortune cannot continue as it has up until now. While you
probably don't want to believe this, it is a fact that AM has lost
virtually all of its listeners under the age of 50. Were you aware of
this? Please think about what this means, for it suggests that, as the
years go by, your audience is shrinking. You can bury your head in the
sand and entertain yourself with a short term fix here or a dose of
colloidal silver there, but time is running out.

Actually, using our LA AM as an example, we have an average age of 41. That
means about half our listeners are 40 or under, in fact.

Or KTCK, The Ticket in Dallas... average age is 43. And that is a top 10
radio station there, and #2 in overall billing in Dallas, right behind WBAP
(an AM) and right before KRLD (another AM). None of these stations is dead.

The average age for AM listening is just under 50, so half the listeners are
UNDER 50 at present. Your statement is totally wrong, in fact.

Radio as an industry knows, however, that the under 50 or under 55
listenership is decreasing. The average age of AM listeners increases by 1
year every 18 months. This is not a good trend, since advertisers have
little or no interest in listeners over 50. So there is concern, and a
desire to do something before the listening becomes predominantly 55+, and
sales start decreasing. Many big AMs are, in fact, showing flat or slightly
weaker sales... but we are talking about market leading stations with huge
revenues.

SO before you call for the piper and a nice dirge, note that radio is
anticipating a problem, not living one.

Old September 3rd 07, 11:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Steve" wrote in message
ups.com...

I don't blame him for being full of bile and invective. He's probably
sick of hearing you preach about how we have to cling to the
technologies of the past.

Far better than hearing you lie about the composition of radio audiences.

Old September 3rd 07, 11:57 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"dxAce" wrote in message

So solly cholly, I'm receiving Social Security, not welfare. I also
receive my
pension from the Union, and next year I'll get my pension from the
Company. I also
have about $180,000 invested that I can tap into as well.

In other words, you have no job. That means you are not employed.

Old September 3rd 07, 11:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"IBOCcrock" wrote in message
oups.com...

The digital signals are only 1% of the analog - IBOC's coverage isn't
even 50% that of analogs !

Digital has totally different properties than analog. I have seen plenty
of
data showing the HD signal, on a 3rd generation receiver, is robust
beyond
the "usable" signal range of analog AM or FM, which is the 10 mv/m AM
curve
and the 64 dbu FM contour.

Gee, to bad you don't understand what that means.

I understand perfectly. I did one of the first studies of listenership vs.
signal strength over a decade ago.

Old September 3rd 07, 11:59 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

'Eduardo', wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message

The only thing dxAss is actively engaged in is the dispensation of
vitriol;
he never adds to a discussion but, instead, insults the participants.
The
guy is devoid of thoughts and full of bile and invective.

Awww... poor little mentally ill, bat **** crazy, fake Hispanic.

Cry me a rio!!!

You just proved my point.

That you're a poor little mentally ill, bat **** crazy, fake Hispanic?

No, that you never contribute anything to a discussion except insults, bias,
prejudice, racism and insults. You prove it constantly.