Old July 15th 08, 06:10 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default IBiquity - Where's the "HD" in "HD" radio?

Then, again, there are those true believers who desperately want HD to
take off for all its promise.

Then again, there are those radio geeks who despareately want HD radio to
fail!

The public doesn't care what radio geeks think.

Nor do they care what iBiquity thinks, says, or does.

No kidding...that's why it will either live or die on it's own...regardless
of what you, I...or anyone else on this board think.

Most of the piuss and vinegar here is misplaced.

Far less than half a million units sold over the past 4 years..

It doesn't matter how many units were sold. That's not how sucess is being
measured.

Old July 16th 08, 03:28 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Which is precisely the point. So far, only the technology has been
promoted. And the diverse 'out of the box' programming offerings have
not materialized as promised.

Sure they have, there's Jazz, 70's Folk, Chorale, Ethnic, Dance...There
are lots of formats available that are not available on the regular
broadcast band.

And not widely available on HD.

There are ALL available where I am.

Most HD channels I've heard, are dupes of the baseband audio,

That's the HD-1 channel. The HD-2 and HD-3, etc...channels can be anything
they want.

....with HD2 being a simulcast of an AM sister. The off beat programming
options simply haven't materialized as promised.

Sure they have. Wouldn't it be nice to be informed before making incorrect
statements?

If you live near a major city (and 85% of America lives within the top 15
markets) you have plenty of HD choices.

Jazz, 70's Folk, Chorale, Ethnic, Dance...There are lots of formats
available

At the time AM stereo was proposed, that's not true. Most listening was
still AM, at that time. Most music listening.

But the FCC decided to let the marketplace choose the standard.
Disasterous!

Radio stations, radio manufacturers and Carmakers would not move on it until
a market standard evolved. By the time that started happenning (mid 80's?)
most AM music stations were a thing of the past.

At least that's ONE thing that's different with HD.

It didn't die....newer technology replaced it.

No, actually it died.

No, AM stereo is now available with newer technology...IBOC.

But, right now, as it stands, HD is a solution in search of a problem.

No, it's not....

The "question" is...."Are there alternatives to traditional radio....cuz
I don't like the commercials or the format offerrings? Is the only
alternative that I pay satelite fees for the rest of my life..."

Answer: yes are alternatives and HD is one of them.

A minor one. The real alternatives, today are on cell phones, podcasts
and live streaming.

They are ALL alternatives...hence the word....alternatives.

All of the alternatives you mentioned are way below 1% listening.

Would you prefer radio sit it out and let phones, podcasts and internet
streaming emerge without radio at least attempting to play a role?

And, if you think HD channels will remain commercial free, you need to
rethink that. Cable was commercial free. Look at it now. Satellite TV was
commercial free.

FM radio was commercial free....look at it now!

No, I am under no illusions that commercial free will last forever, it will
last as long as it takes, though.

And right now one of the hottest ad buys is a podcast.

Podcasts are still less than .01% of listening. (I can't imagine there is
much money for ad rates.) Sattelite radio is less than 1% penetration. More
and more money IS going to web pages though....even on the local level.

HD will be commercial free as long as there is no interest in it.

Just like FM. Radio used a negative (lack of listeners/advertisers for FM)
as a PLUS!

It gives more functionality to radio...so it's not going away.

Not anytime soon. But its future is far from assured.

Nothing is assured....not even tomorrow.

Old July 16th 08, 03:50 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

A Brown wrote:
Which is precisely the point. So far, only the technology has been
promoted. And the diverse 'out of the box' programming offerings have
not materialized as promised.
Sure they have, there's Jazz, 70's Folk, Chorale, Ethnic, Dance...There
are lots of formats available that are not available on the regular
broadcast band.

And not widely available on HD.

There are ALL available where I am.

Not whare I am. Nor where I've been so far this year.

Most HD channels I've heard, are dupes of the baseband audio,

That's the HD-1 channel. The HD-2 and HD-3, etc...channels can be anything
they want.

Can. Doesn't mean they are.

....with HD2 being a simulcast of an AM sister. The off beat programming
options simply haven't materialized as promised.

Sure they have. Wouldn't it be nice to be informed before making incorrect
statements?

If you live near a major city (and 85% of America lives within the top 15
markets) you have plenty of HD choices.

I live in Chicago. Big enough for you?
Old July 16th 08, 04:00 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"A Brown" wrote in message

If you live near a major city (and 85% of America lives within the top 15
markets) you have plenty of HD choices.

No, 50% of Americans live in a top 50 market.

Old July 16th 08, 04:14 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"D Peter Maus" wrote in message
A Brown wrote:
Which is precisely the point. So far, only the technology has been
promoted. And the diverse 'out of the box' programming offerings have
not materialized as promised.
Sure they have, there's Jazz, 70's Folk, Chorale, Ethnic, Dance...There
are lots of formats available that are not available on the regular
broadcast band.

And not widely available on HD.

There are ALL available where I am.

Not whare I am. Nor where I've been so far this year.

You don't get out much.... BTW...You shouldn't make absolute judgements
only based on your own limited experiences.

Most HD channels I've heard, are dupes of the baseband audio,

That's the HD-1 channel. The HD-2 and HD-3, etc...channels can be
anything they want.

Can. Doesn't mean they are.

I just showed you they are. If you live near a Top 15 Moraket and 85% of
America does.

If you live near a major city (and 85% of America lives within the top 15
markets) you have plenty of HD choices.

I live in Chicago. Big enough for you?

Take a look!

(I don't see many "AM rebroadcasts"..some even have HD3 channels!)

WMBI:FM 90.1 Religion=HD1 / HD2=Praise Music / HD3=Kids!

WPWX: FM 92.3 Urban=HD1 / HD2=Classic Hip Hop;

WXRT: FM 93.1 Rock=HD1 / HD2=New Music

WLIT:FM 93.9 Adult contemporary=HD1 / HD2=Disco

WNUA:FM 95.5 Smooth Jazz=HD1 / HD2=Traditional Jazz

WERV:FM 95.9 Oldies=HD1 / HD2=Rapids (Whatever that is...)

WBBM:FM 96.3 Top 40=HD1 / HD2=Dance

WDRV:FM 97.1 Classic rock=HD1 / HD2=Deep Tracks

WLUP: FM 97.9 Rock=HD1 / HD2=Loop Loud

WUSN: FM 99.5 Country=HD1 / HD2=Future Country / HD-3 99.5-3 FM (Trucker!)

WILV: FM 100.3 Rhymic Oldies=HD1 / HD2=Love Songs

WKQX: FM 101.1 Alternative=HD1 / HD2=Alternative

WTMX: FM 101.9 Adult Contemporary=HD1 / HD2=80's;

WVAZ: FM 102.7 Urban=HD1 / HD2=Gospel;

WKSC: FM 103.5 Top 40=HD1 / HD2=Pride

WJMK: FM 104.3 Variety=HD1 / HD2=60's, 70's

WSRB: FM 106.3 R&B=HD1 / HD2=Soul;

WGCI: FM 107.5 Hip Hop R&B=HD1 /HD2=Old School Hip Hop

Maybe you should buy an HD radio and discover what's out there..instead of
parroting whatever negative information you may have heard.

Old July 16th 08, 04:25 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

If you live near a major city (and 85% of America lives within the top 15
markets) you have plenty of HD choices.

No, 50% of Americans live in a top 50 market.

I have an Arbitron graph chart in my office that says it's 85/15.

Old July 16th 08, 04:32 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

A Brown wrote:
Which is precisely the point. So far, only the technology has been
promoted. And the diverse 'out of the box' programming offerings have
not materialized as promised.
Sure they have, there's Jazz, 70's Folk, Chorale, Ethnic, Dance...There
are lots of formats available that are not available on the regular
broadcast band.

And not widely available on HD.
There are ALL available where I am.

Not whare I am. Nor where I've been so far this year.

You don't get out much.... BTW...You shouldn't make absolute judgements
only based on your own limited experiences.

Yeah, 38 states in 5 months. You're right, definitely a home body.

If you live near a major city (and 85% of America lives within the top 15
markets) you have plenty of HD choices.

I live in Chicago. Big enough for you?

Take a look!

Yes, I live here, remember?

(I don't see many "AM rebroadcasts"..some even have HD3 channels!)

You missed a few.

You also missed that many of these HD 2 and HD 3 channels are the
same playlist as other stations in the group.

There's not a lot of innovation here.

Certainly not a lot of alternatives.

Old July 16th 08, 04:35 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

(I don't see many "AM rebroadcasts"..some even have HD3 channels!)

You missed a few.
You also missed that many of these HD 2 and HD 3 channels are the same
playlist as other stations in the group.

For example?

There's not a lot of innovation here.

What are you expecting? Howard Stern? Oprah Winfrey? How's that working
out for the Sat Radio companies?

Certainly not a lot of alternatives.

21 Streams are not enough alternatives?

Maybe you should buy an HD radio and discover what's really out

Old July 16th 08, 04:51 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

A Brown wrote:

There's not a lot of innovation here.

What are you expecting? Howard Stern? Oprah Winfrey? How's that working
out for the Sat Radio companies?

Now weren't you the one speaking of the myriad of alternative
formats, innovative formats, and off-mainstream formats? Now you're
pooh-poohing innovation?

Hmmm...
Certainly not a lot of alternatives.

21 Streams are not enough alternatives?

Not when half of them are repackaged formats with the same playlists
as the baseband formats, no.
Old July 16th 08, 04:55 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Now weren't you the one speaking of the myriad of alternative
formats, innovative formats, and off-mainstream formats? Now you're
pooh-poohing innovation?

Nope. 21 extra streams of music in a market is fine for me.

Not when half of them are repackaged formats with the same playlists as
the baseband formats, no.

I don't see any with the "same playlist as the baseband formats".

Asking again.....an example? Or is this more parroting?