Old October 17th 09, 07:35 AM posted to alt.radio.broadcasting,rec.radio.shortwave,ba.broadcast

Default HD Radio - Trend to watch: Team-branded HD2s !!

"HD Radio Farce" wrote in message
On Oct 16, 12:10?pm, "Watchin & Waitin'" wrote:
"HD Radio Farce" wrote in
On Oct 9, 1:41?am, "Jo Jo Gunn" wrote:

"John Higdon" wrote in message

In article
,
"~ RHF" wrote:

FM HD-Radio and the HD-2 Channels are
about Expanding the FM Radio Business
and the minor technical issues are simply
the cost of doing more business.

The broadcasters being interfered with don't consider such
interference
a "minor technical issue".

Can you state a broadcaster that is being interfered with in their
protected
contours?

Again, if this is so prevailent, why isn't there a pile of listeners
complaints at the FCC?
Bob Savage WYSL for one.

#1...he is not a listener.

#2....why is he the only example that gets brought up when someone asks
about the so-called intereference.

#3.....WYSL is a badly designed facility that is attempting to service a
market from 25 miles out of town with, what, 500 watts?

but dont let the truth get in the way.- Hide quoted text -

"Midwest Television, licensee of KFMB(AM), a Class B in San Diego, has
submitted a second interference complaint to the commission about
Kiertron, licensee of KBRT(AM), a Class D in

More cut/paste nonsense that no one is going to read.

Old October 17th 09, 07:36 AM posted to alt.radio.broadcasting,rec.radio.shortwave,ba.broadcast

"HD Radio Farce" wrote in message
On Oct 9, 4:28?pm, "Jo Jo Gunn" wrote:
"~ RHF" wrote in message

On Oct 7, 9:59 pm, "~ RHF" wrote:

On Oct 7, 9:45 pm, John Higdon wrote: In article
,
"~ RHF" wrote:

As i have said before FM HD-2 Radio Broadcasts
are the only clear business reason for HD Radio
because it takes the same local FM Radio
'Franchise' {Radio License} and creates a
Second Income Stream from it at a low cost
multiple. ? ? ? $ $ $ ~ RHF
.

- Where is the "income" if there are no spots? What advertiser would
waste
- a dime on the pathetically low penetration of all HD-2 combined?
-
- --
- John Higdon
- +1 408 ANdrews 6-4400
- AT&T-Free At Last

- NFL Team Branded HD-2 is a 24/7 InfoMercial
- for every NFL Team in it's 'Local' Market Media
- Area - b r i l l i a n t ! ~ RHF
- .

Local Advertisers who wish to be 'identified'
with the Team and reach the Team's Fans
will be lining-up to support the Team Channel.
more money + More Money + MORE MONEY !

There are people like Higdon that live in the past and can't see the new
models of making money and reaching the target.

"We Might Want to Keep an Eye on ION"

"If the commission embraces the notion that secondary digital streams
really do constitute separate licenses that can be

More cut and past....and whats this a REPEAT cut/paste (that no one is going
to read.)

Old October 17th 09, 07:39 AM posted to alt.radio.broadcasting,rec.radio.shortwave,ba.broadcast

"HD Radio Farce" wrote in message
On Oct 13, 1:35?am, "Jo Jo Gunn" wrote:
Jo Jo Gunn wrote:

There has been no widespread interference complaints from the
public...and virtually all stations are protected within their
contours.

That doesn't mean there's no interference. ?It's amazing how the
proponents of HD Radio assume that receivers magically quit receiving a
signal once they leave a station's protected contour.

No, the FCC has made a judgement on how far and how long a stations signal
would be protected.

That's the established standard. ?The days of clear-channels being
protected
nationwide are over.

Plus, to the average listener an HD carrier sounds like white noise &
they
think it's weak signal. ?Nobody thinks to complain about interference.
They just move on to something else.

The large broadcast companies do engineering research and audience
research.
There has been no widespread complaints (if any at all), and there is no
indication that people "move onto something else".

I've heard on and on about how great the HD-2 formats are going to be,
but
all I've observed is more lame cookie-cutter radio taking away the
reception that I once enjoyed.

THe formats on HD are quiite similar to what was on FM in the early to mid
60's. ?Music intensive, non-commercial, some simulcasting to improve
coverage, and mostly automated.

The audio quality is nothing to write home about either.

The public has had no complaints about HD audio quality. ?And like the
qualities of MP3's, which is "nothing to write home about" either, it's
"good enough" and the public isn't complaining.

But HD radio has caused us to adapt. ?My wife & I listen to web radio
more
than terrestrial radio now, since there are fewer choices on the dial.

I'd be interested in knowing where you are, and what station(s) you can no
longer listen too due to HD radio.

"Dave Barnett" wrote in message

Jo Jo Gunn wrote:

There has been no widespread interference complaints from the
public...and virtually all stations are protected within their
contours.

That doesn't mean there's no interference. ?It's amazing how the
proponents of HD Radio assume that receivers magically quit receiving a
signal once they leave a station's protected contour. ?Plus, to the
average listener an HD carrier sounds like white noise & they think it's
weak signal. ?Nobody thinks to complain about interference. ?They just
move on to something else.

I've heard on and on about how great the HD-2 formats are going to be,
but
all I've observed is more lame cookie-cutter radio taking away the
reception that I once enjoyed. ?The audio quality is nothing to write
home
about either. ?But HD radio has caused us to adapt. ?My wife & I listen
web radio more than terrestrial radio now, since there are fewer choices
on the dial.

Dave B.- Hide quoted text -

Do you work for iBiquity, the NAB, or the HD Radio Alliance?

Is this directed at me?

Nope. None of them. I have no allegiances. I just get a kick out of
playing rope-a-dope with the HD haters like you. ;-)

Now a question for you:

-Do you have a job?

-Do you have a life?

-Do you have a family...or a spouse...or are you simply obsessivbely
compulsively living in the wake of iBiquity and Struble? ;-)

Old October 17th 09, 07:40 AM posted to alt.radio.broadcasting,rec.radio.shortwave,ba.broadcast

Jo Jo Gunn wrote:

[...]

WOR clobbers WLW, WLW clobbers WOR, WBZ clobbers WHO, WCBS clobbers

WWL, WBBM clobbers WABC, etc...

but you left out the important element....where!

if this is dx...then please realioze that the fcc and owner/operators does
not care about dx-ers and hobbyists.

you are trying to hang onto the past.

I notice he didn't respond.

Old October 17th 09, 07:42 AM posted to alt.radio.broadcasting,rec.radio.shortwave,ba.broadcast

On Oct 15, 1:00 pm, "Jo Jo Gunn" wrote:
"John Higdon" wrote in message

In article
,
RHF wrote:

HD-2 FM Radio Channels and a 2nd Income Stream
for FM Radio Stations.

Name a station making a dime off the HD-2 channel. Just name one.

CBS is running infomercials on some of their HD-3 streams....making not a
lot of money...but some.

There are HD-2's in NY that are leased to foreign language broadcasters.

Many small constituancy groups would lease an HD-2 channel if they could.

Most stations ahve chosen NOT to have comemrcials on their HD2 stream.

I know a local group that would raise funds to lease an HD2 channel so
they
can put EWTN on it (This I don't understand!)

But there are people a few dimes off their HD2 channels.

"REGENT COMMUNICATIONS, INC."

"We are currently broadcasting 24 FM stations and two AM stations in
digital, or high definition radio (HD Radio)... The economic benefit,
if any, to our stations that have converted to HD Radio currently
cannot be measured. Any future economic benefit to our stations as a
result of digital conversion is not known at this time."

http://tinyurl.com/nw9ts6

"Saga Communications, Inc."

"We also continue the rollout of HD Radio™... It is unclear what
impact HD Radio will have on the industry and our revenue as the
availability of HD receivers, particularly in automobiles, is not
widely available."

http://tinyurl.com/m5cs7l

"EMMIS COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION"

"We currently utilize HD Radio® digital technology on most of our FM
stations. It is unclear what impact HD Radio® will have on the markets
in which we operate."

http://tinyurl.com/kkgd7j

So what? Most of these companies have decided (as a group) not to put any
commercials on their HD streams.

BTW....another great/cut/paste job.

Old October 17th 09, 01:07 PM posted to alt.radio.broadcasting,rec.radio.shortwave,ba.broadcast

Default IBOC : FM HD-Radio - The Trend-to-Watch - Money Making HD-2 Channels

John Higdon wrote:

If "killer programming" is going to be available on HD, why not put it
on analog FM now? Stations are languishing trying to gain market share
because no one wants to listen to them. Why? Because they're not doing
anything worth listening to. You don't need HD to put decent programming
on the air!

I'm wondering about something. SCA is not considered broadcasting, and
therefore SCA programming was not subject to the same FCC content rules as
main channel programming. Likewise XM and Sirius.

So, the question is, could some station put Pirate Cat on its HD channel or
would the station be subject to FCC obscenity fines? Is it broadcasting or
narrowcasting? When is HD broadcasting and Sirius not?

--
"You're in probably the wickedest, most corrupt city, most
Godless city in America." -- Fr Mullen, "San Francisco"
Old October 17th 09, 02:15 PM posted to alt.radio.broadcasting,rec.radio.shortwave,ba.broadcast

"David Kaye" wrote in message
John Higdon wrote:

I'm wondering about something. SCA is not considered broadcasting, and
therefore SCA programming was not subject to the same FCC content rules as
main channel programming. Likewise XM and Sirius.

So, the question is, could some station put Pirate Cat on its HD channel
or
would the station be subject to FCC obscenity fines? Is it broadcasting
or
narrowcasting? When is HD broadcasting and Sirius not?

SCA is not only not broadcasting, it is a subscription service and reception
of SCA by unauthorized users is technically illegal.

With IBOC it is not the same. Anyone who buys an IBOC receiver is de facto
authorized to receive any signal broadcast by any IBOC equipped station. It
is, therefor, for the time being, a free radio service that anyone can
listen to, and so covered by FCC rules dealing with content. I'm not sure
how that would work for the ability of the stations to sell time to
freelancers (e.g. pirates). Someone would have to be responsible for paying
royalties, etc., as well.

Satellite is a different case. It's like SCA in some ways. In particular, it
is a subscription service that is not available to everyone for free, and is
therefor restricted access. This is why normal FCC content rules do not
apply.

Old October 17th 09, 03:18 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default IBOC : FM HD-Radio - The Trend-to-Watch - Money Making HD-2Cha...

Authorized? Everybody in the World has the Right to Receive and Listen
to Any and All Electronic Transmissions.The Universe is Radius, the
Universe is a Radio.
Radio = Radius.
Radius = Radio.
cuhulin

Old October 17th 09, 04:40 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

www.devilfinder.com
HD Radio Stations in Mississippi

Good Gawd almighty! No wonder there is so much hash around here! That
sh.t just wont do, that sh.t just wont do atall!!!
cuhulin

Old October 17th 09, 05:17 PM posted to alt.radio.broadcasting,rec.radio.shortwave,ba.broadcast

Jo Jo Gunn wrote:

[...]

compulsively living in the wake of iBiquity and Struble? �;-)- Hide quoted text -

I love all of this attention! Typical of IBOC boosters to launch a
series of personal attacks, when they have no counter-arguments. I've
heard it all - LOL!