Old September 9th 03, 03:20 PM
Diverd4777

Hi Pete:

- Just my choices...

Portable over Small table top;
Double conversion would be a must.
Presets would be invaluable; I have them on the Sangean 606A and the Sangean
DT110
Built in antenna with external port.
DX - Local switch.. ?? always have it on DX..
OR

Tunable pre selector that wou't confuse the average shopper..

( focus group used here ?? ; talk to marketing)

Loop antenna add-ons for DX'ing or distant stations.
extra speaker plug ins for Stereo FM ??
Definitly Digital readout
Small, ( 3 inch?) ported speaker
Knob type Tone controls

Target price.. Dunno, competitive with others in the field..

In article , "Pete
KE9OA" writes:

My employer has given me the go ahead to design a new product. If there is
enough interest, I will design a new MW receiver for the market. What would
you be more interested in......................a small table top type, or a
portable?
Performance wise, I am talking about something like that of an AOR7030.
I don't think that I would be inplementing Sync Detection, but a couple of
I.F. bandwidths could be possible. Definitely, double conversion, and
digital readout, with good audio quality.
Would you want any presets? How about target price? Do you want a built in
antenna, or external antenna only? High and low impedance antenna inputs?
How about a built in tunable preselector?
E-mail me directly, and we will see what happens. Any of you who have built
any of me receivers know what I am talking about...............I plan to
take the design to the next couple of steps up in performance.

Pete

Old September 10th 03, 06:07 AM
Pete KE9OA

You do have some good ideas, and I am listening. A DX switch won't be
necessary; we will have a great dynamic range. The tunable preselector seems
to be a good thing. I will be pricing Type 61 ferrite rod stock tomorrow.
We were even talking about having some sort of band scanning spectrum
display, but right now, that is in the air. I will be bringing in one of my
own units tomorrow, and we will launch off from there.

Pete

Old September 10th 03, 06:12 AM
Gregg

Behold, Pete KE9OA signaled from keyed 4-1000A filament:

You do have some good ideas, and I am listening. A DX switch won't be
necessary; we will have a great dynamic range.

Am I to assume then that you plan a double-balanced diode ring mixer?

--
Gregg
*Perhaps it's useful, even if it can't be SPICE'd*
Old September 11th 03, 08:24 AM
Pete KE9OA

Hi Gregg,
That is exactly what I plan to use..............I have been
using that topology for several years now, so I've got the Diplexer design
nailed down pretty well. Take a look at my website, and you can see how
I've got this implemented. I've got a few downloadable zip files of some of
my designs (no, I won't hide the schematic from the final product).
I am not sure why more manufacturers don't use doubly-balanced mixers,
especially when you can purchase a Mini-Circuits ADE-3 mixer for around 3
dollars. We are talking about a mixer with an SSB conversion loss of around
4.7dB, which, since this is a passive topology, translates approximately to
a noise figure of around 5dB. Since this is a Level 7 mixer, the IP3 should
be around +14dBm. Compare this to an Analog Devices AD831 mixer, which has a
+20dBm IP3, but has a 12dB NF. To reduce the NF to that of the ADE-3, you
need to have an RF amplifier ahead of that mixer. Let's say that we need
10dB of takeover gain from the RF amplifier; we now have an IP3 of only
+10dBm from that AD831, and we still need all of those external support
components for that mixer.

Pete

t...

Old September 11th 03, 09:50 AM
Gregg

Behold, Pete KE9OA signaled from keyed 4-1000A filament:

Hi Gregg,
That is exactly what I plan to use..............I have
been
using that topology for several years now, so I've got the Diplexer
design nailed down pretty well.

You sir, are a god! Do you know how many people that are so-called
"engineering professionals" that do not know how to diplex the output of a
diode DBM?

I'm sold, when can I buy it ;-)

I am not sure why more manufacturers don't use doubly-balanced mixers,
especially when you can purchase a Mini-Circuits ADE-3 mixer for around
3 dollars.

Because they can pay 15 cents for a 2SCxxxx.

It all comes down to money. Nothing is about quality, just mark-up and
useless features.

You seem to be doing something that hasn't been done since the late 1950's
- engineering a soul into the unit :-)

You have my highest respect.

Old September 12th 03, 09:09 AM
Pete KE9OA

Thanks Gregg! We are still putting together a group of specs, from this NG
feedback. I have been using a DDS for awhile, but that itsn't as clean as I
would like it to be. Mini-Circuits doesn't have a good tracking VCO that
will cover the 10.7MHz tuning range, so I decided to design my own low
noise, tracking output VCO. My 2nd and 3rd harmonic specs are -25dBc and
-35dBc respectively. With a diode ring mixer, anything greater

than -20dBc puts you in the ball park.

Gregg wrote in message
Behold, Pete KE9OA signaled from keyed 4-1000A filament:

Hi Gregg,
That is exactly what I plan to use..............I have
been
using that topology for several years now, so I've got the Diplexer
design nailed down pretty well.

You sir, are a god! Do you know how many people that are so-called
"engineering professionals" that do not know how to diplex the output of a
diode DBM?

I'm sold, when can I buy it ;-)

I do know what you are talking about.............not everybody thinks about
reducing the noise from the image frequency. My diplexer has a selectivity
of right around 15kHz. I chose the X values to be about 43 Ohms, so the
tuning characteristic is fairly sharp.

I am not sure why more manufacturers don't use doubly-balanced mixers,
especially when you can purchase a Mini-Circuits ADE-3 mixer for around
3 dollars.

Because they can pay 15 cents for a 2SCxxxx.

It all comes down to money. Nothing is about quality, just mark-up and
useless features.

You seem to be doing something that hasn't been done since the late 1950's
- engineering a soul into the unit :-)

You have my highest respect.

Thanks again, Gregg. I contacted one of the high end audio dealers here in
Chicago yesterday, and they seemed pretty excited about the project. We are
definitely moving ahead...................we've already chosen the PLL
(145170), so we just need to verify long term availability. I will be
contacting Murata and Phillips today, about setting up some sort of
relationship. I used to deal with these folks quite a bit, from my Motorola
days.

Pete