Old March 17th 05, 11:47 AM
dxAce

Li Changchun wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message

Li Changchun wrote:

"dxAce" wrote

For whatever reason I skipped out on the R8A as well. The only one of

the
other
above receivers I never owned was the R-4C which I don't think was

noted
as
being a good SWL receiver.

Are you kidding, Steve? Out of all the receivers I have owned the R-4C

was
"the best."
A Sherwood modified R-4C is still considered THE best "ham" SW receiver

of
all time.

Read it again comrade. I said I didn't think it was noted as a good SWL
receiver.

There was an after-market third-party variable crystal occilater you could
buy
or build that gave the R-4C General Coverage. It was published in QST I
beleive.
I built one and my R-4C performed excellently as a SWL receiver.
Too bad you missed out.

Most aficionados of SWL would (have) preferred the R-4B, and that thought has
been corroborated in the hobby press for many, many years.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old March 17th 05, 11:57 AM
dxAce

Jim wrote:

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 06:19:54 -0500, dxAce
wrote:

Tote what, 'tard boy? Your brain? That's easy - if I can find
something small enough to put it in.

You just keep taking your meds... it'll be all right.

Zing! You *really* are quite the wit, aren't you?

Indeed I am, and unfortunately for us, you're a 'tard boy.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old March 17th 05, 12:05 PM
dxAce

Jim wrote:

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 06:44:28 -0500, dxAce
wrote:

My former neighbour has an S800... had them both here, side by side. The R8 was
clearly the superior receiver, and the 'sync' had nothing to do with it.

In *your* opinion. *My* opinion is that the S800 is clearly better.
I *own* both, not just "borrowed from a neighbor for a day or two",
and the 'sync' has everything to do with it.

I don't rely upon whether or not a receiver has 'sync' or not when evaluating it as
a 'DX' receiver. And the S800 is *not* a comparable 'DX' receiver when compared to
the R8 series.

Get the picture?

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old March 17th 05, 12:50 PM
dxAce

Jim wrote:

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 09:27:17 -0500, "Michael Lawson"
wrote:

Here would be a good test: on 5975, there's our old buddy,
the BBC. On 5980, there's RTV Marocaine (Morocco). On
the occasional days when the BBC isn't running on 5975,
I can listen to Moroccan music on 5980. However, the BBC
simply overwhelms my reception of Marocaine on most
days on my S800. Can an R8/R8A/R8B pull Marocaine out?
That, I don't know, but the tools to do it are there on the
R8's, whereas on the S800, you're rather limited to the sync
and the 6/4/2.3 bandwidths.

The outstanding sync on the S800 eliminates the need for all those
"tools" on the R8. Got a het? Gone with the sync. Splatter from
a nearby blowtorch? Gone with the sync. The 6/4/2.3 bandwidths are
identical to the R8's, BTW. The R8 also has 1.8 and .5, which are
pretty much useless except for code, and I don't listen to that.

BTW, the S800 passes your above BBC/Morocco test, in 5 seconds by
pressing a *single button*! The R8 can do it also, but only after 5
minutes of manual knob twiddling.

5 minutes? You obviously have no clue as to how to operate a receiver.

That's unfortunate... but it's good that you've found a receiver you are capable
of operating.

Enjoy.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old March 17th 05, 01:03 PM
dxAce

Jim wrote:

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 07:05:43 -0500, dxAce
wrote:

I don't rely upon whether or not a receiver has 'sync' or not when evaluating it as
a 'DX' receiver. And the S800 is *not* a comparable 'DX' receiver when compared to
the R8 series.

Get the picture?

Yes, I get your opinion. It differs from mine. Deal with it.

You'd better deal with not knowing how to operate a receiver!

I'm fairly confident that I know how to do it, and by your previous comment(s) it would
appear that you do not.

Tote it!

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old March 17th 05, 01:07 PM
dxAce

Jim wrote:

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 07:50:10 -0500, dxAce
wrote:

5 minutes? You obviously have no clue as to how to operate a receiver.

Except that I've had for nearly 15 years, and know how to operate it.

It is more difficult to operate than the S800. I can't believe you
are even attempting to argue this fact.

5 minutes?

I'm LMAO

As I stated previously, I'm happy that you've found a receiver that you're
capable of operating.

Get over it.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old March 17th 05, 02:49 PM
Michael Lawson

wrote:

[...]

Not my Sat 800 running a 50' random wire through
a 9:1 transformer. Too much bleedover, even with the 4
bandwidth using USB sync. The 2.3 bandwidth is too
narrow for decent fidelity for me, unless I'm actively
listening with no distractions. If I want good enough
fidelity that the kids can dance to it, I want either 6 or
4, and 6 is hopeless and 4 is still too much.

I know which method *I* prefer. YMMV.

Ha. I've listened to enough broadcasts to know that
my S800 ain't perfect. Oh, it gets rid of some hets and
some splatter, and better than most portables and
portatops, but using the advanced tools on the
regular tabletop you can eliminate a heck of a lot more.
After all, if what you say were completely true, then
why do people pay cash for an IC-R75 or R8B or
NRD-545 or 7030?? Or why are some of the Kenwoods,
Icoms, JRC's and Drakes of the past so valued?

--Mike L.

Old March 17th 05, 04:31 PM

The,Slant Eyed Chinks are working for about ten cents an hour and in
some of those so-called factory areas,those Slant Eyed Chinks are
SLAVES! Blame it on free trade,nafta,gatt,outsourcing.I remember seeing
on tv that SON OF A BITCH!!!!!! nixon standing on that SLANT EYED CHINK
"wall" over there many years ago.I called them SLANT EYED CHINKS,SLANT
EYED CHINKS and SLOPES,when I was in Vietnam in 1964.YOU go ****ing and
moaning to the fbi if YOU don't like it! YOU COMMIE! Mother ****ER!
cuhulin

Old March 17th 05, 05:11 PM

Ha. I've listened to enough broadcasts to know that
my S800 ain't perfect. Oh, it gets rid of some hets and
some splatter, and better than most portables and
portatops, but using the advanced tools on the
regular tabletop you can eliminate a heck of a lot more.
After all, if what you say were completely true, then
why do people pay cash for an IC-R75 or R8B or
NRD-545 or 7030?? Or why are some of the Kenwoods,
Icoms, JRC's and Drakes of the past so valued?

--Mike L.

I'm sorry Mike, but if you have the audacity to acknowlegde even the
bare, logical possibility that the S800 has even a single weakness or
shortcoming, I'm afraid it's time for you to go. Come back after you
'get your mind right'.

Steve