Old December 17th 03, 02:17 AM
N4ATS

Default eBay comment

I am unclear as to why some people "bash" ebay. I bought a mint FT-847 ,
FC-20 , Triplexer and a brand new MD-100A8X desk mic all in a package
deal for $800.00 . Sure I had to pay $30 for shipping but I feel this
was a great deal. I received the radio and it was just as stated. It was
mint. I have bought almost ALL of my equipment on eBay. Is there
something I am missing? I think that some of these compainers are just
broke ($$$) and want something to cry about because it is not "given" to
them. Just my 2 cents...

N4ATS

Old December 17th 03, 02:35 AM
Mike Coslo

N4ATS wrote:
I am unclear as to why some people "bash" ebay. I bought a mint FT-847 ,
FC-20 , Triplexer and a brand new MD-100A8X desk mic all in a package
deal for $800.00 . Sure I had to pay $30 for shipping but I feel this
was a great deal. I received the radio and it was just as stated. It was
mint. I have bought almost ALL of my equipment on eBay. Is there
something I am missing? I think that some of these compainers are just
broke ($$$) and want something to cry about because it is not "given" to
them. Just my 2 cents...

I got screwed twice on Ebay:

The first time I bought something

The first time I sold something.

I'd have to be an idiot to go back to them.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old December 17th 03, 02:41 AM
Wayne

N4ATS wrote:

I am unclear as to why some people "bash" ebay. I bought a mint FT-847 ,
FC-20 , Triplexer and a brand new MD-100A8X desk mic all in a package
deal for $800.00 . Sure I had to pay $30 for shipping but I feel this
was a great deal. I received the radio and it was just as stated. It was
mint. I have bought almost ALL of my equipment on eBay. Is there
something I am missing? I think that some of these compainers are just
broke ($$$) and want something to cry about because it is not "given" to
them. Just my 2 cents...

N4ATS

I don't think you are missing anything. I have bought and sold lots of
radio gear on eBay and have yet to get ripped off or any other problem not
attributable to me not reading the ad completely. When getting ready to buy
or sell something, I check here first. If I don't find what I am looking
for or receive any offers that aren't insulting, then I go to eBay. When
selling, I list the item here only twice, once when I first list the item
and again about 24 hours before the end of the auction. I, too, am annoyed
by the people that think they have to post their ad every day on the
newsgroups. That doesn't mean eBay sucks, just the poster. I find the once
or twice post on the newsgroups to be quite useful when looking for gear as
I don't want to browse through the hundreds of listings everyday. Sometimes
I find an eBay link here for something I was not actively looking for that I
suddenly decide I want. If people don't want that experience, they need to
learn to set their filters. Myself, I set my filters to screen posts by the
names of people I don't want to read stuff from. That kills most of the
annoying crap right there.

Wayne L. Faris, KEØBZ

Old December 17th 03, 03:05 AM
John D. Farr]

How does one get screwed selling something on eBay? All sellers that I've
ever dealt with require payment in full before the item was shipped.
John
"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
et...

Old December 17th 03, 03:09 AM
Brenda Ann

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
et...

I got screwed twice on Ebay:

The first time I bought something

The first time I sold something.

I'd have to be an idiot to go back to them.

- Mike KB3EIA -

I've never been cheated on ebay... and have over 500 transactions. However,
I have been cheated by some in the NG's, whom I have no way to check up on
before I buy from them...

Old December 17th 03, 10:32 AM
AO KD5FXT

I never buy anything from anyone that I don't know w/o first doing an email
search and a call sign search on Google. For the most part, if someone has
"screwed" someone else, they have generally complained on the ng and I won't
buy if there is a complaint. Of course, someone is always unhappy, so I check
that out also if there is only one or two compaints... but I limit my spending.
My view, buying on the internet is much like investing in the stock market...
only use disposeable money. Don't risk money you can't afford to lose.

Bill
Old December 17th 03, 02:00 PM
VE3TMT

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message
I've never been cheated on ebay... and have over 500 transactions.

However,
I have been cheated by some in the NG's, whom I have no way to check up on
before I buy from them...

I too have purchased gear from eBay. I have yet to be taken. I always make
a point of talking to the person I am dealing with first. I was however
taken on a trade by a ham in California who offered me a "mint" TS440. I
sure learned my lesson on that one. My latest transaction was a trade on my
TS570 for a very nice TS850 (my second) and everything arrived as promised.
I think you just have to exercise caution. If for any reason the deal
sounds fishy, walk away. I cancelled a bid on eBay and was ripped at by the
seller. I had reservations about what he was offering compared to what he
was selling. I got a negative feedback on eBay for that one. But I had a
good nights sleep.

Old December 17th 03, 02:44 PM
Nitespark

N4ATS wrote:
I am unclear as to why some people "bash" ebay. I bought a mint FT-847 ,
FC-20 , Triplexer and a brand new MD-100A8X desk mic all in a package
deal for $800.00 . Sure I had to pay $30 for shipping but I feel this
was a great deal. I received the radio and it was just as stated. It was
mint. I have bought almost ALL of my equipment on eBay. Is there
something I am missing? I think that some of these compainers are just
broke ($$$) and want something to cry about because it is not "given" to
them. Just my 2 cents...

N4ATS

Ebay is merely a medium for a buyer and a seller to get together. No
different than a hamfest other than some transactions are conducted as
auctions...others are a "buy it now" straight out sale. Has anyone ever
been burned at a hamfest....sure. I have bought and sold on Ebay with
only a few problems. In a recent auction, I was the seller, and the
"winning bidder" sent me an email saying he had bid on another item like
I was selling and wanted me to take less than what he had agreed to pay.
I gave him an opportunity to meet his end of the bargain. He didn't
and I left negative feedback and filed a complaint with Ebay to recoup
at least some of my losses (listing fees, etc). I relisted the item and
had a very smooth and easy transaction.

When some people have a bad experience, sometimes their frustration is
misdirected.

--
Gun Control works!!! 3 million Holocaust victims can’t be wrong.

Old December 17th 03, 04:04 PM
R. Belcher

Amen to that.... I have a guy right now that picked one of my ads from a
trade/sell website and he is in Nigeria (The well-known WEST AFRICA SCAM),
sent me an obviously fake cashier's cheque, several thousand in excess of my
price, wanting me to Western Union several thousand in "overpayment" back to
him. Calling the bank it is supposed to be drawn on nets a slew of
complaints, sighs and comments about how they already have rec'd many of
these fake cheques, one in excess of $800,000....
But since I was aware of the scam in advance, I took advantage of the
moment, am playing the idiot, and I have him running all over the place, to
different offices, etc, to get me to Western Union the money. He (they,
probably) is very committed to what he is doing.
So far I have him to the point of belief, that I've told him I deposited the
cheque (it's pinned on my trophy wall) and the only way to get it now is for
him to give me his bank info for a wire transfer. Last contact, I got the
impression he was going to go set up a new account just for me to send
to......
This is cool... my very own remote-controlled Nigerian scammer..... heh...
He is very "God Bless You" every time we talk, (he calls too... exploiting a
cheap TDD service for the deaf) wanting to know if I am a "trustworthy
Christian" and the like. Man, he is gonna burn!
Just thought I'd share. (SWAP some radio-related info!)

Point is, ANY time you send money to a stranger, you may or may not be
making a donation to their cause.
It's all about doing homework but no matter how well you do, there is always
a bit of risk when it comes to people and money.

rb