Old July 28th 05, 05:23 PM
John Smith

.... to think it possible!

Now all the CB'ers are doomed to failure! Surely the concept and workings of a
phase locked loop are beyond their comprehension!
evil-protectionist-chuckle
Heee-he-he-he-he!

John

"Caveat Lector" wrote in message
A PLL question is on the extra exam See question
E7D07

--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

"John Smith" wrote in message
How about PLL?

John

"Caveat Lector" wrote in message
Just out of curousity -- what modern Ham gear uses a Colpitts oscillator or
a swinging choke ??

Then why ask these questions on a 2005 Ham test ??

Maybe ask about a VCO or a crowbar circuit ??

--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

Someone wrote

Draw a Colpitts Oscillator
What is a swinging choke

Old July 28th 05, 05:29 PM
John Smith

CL:

If you run into any cb'ers having a problem with that question, it is included
on this URL, containing the questions, and the CORRECT answers:
http://www.craigr.com/subelement7.htm

Old July 28th 05, 06:35 PM
Cecil Moore

Caveat Lector wrote:
A PLL question is on the extra exam See question
E7D07

How about "Twiddle factor"?
--
73, Cecil, http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old July 28th 05, 06:46 PM
Dave Platt

In article nH6Ge.22103$HV1.10801@fed1read07,
Caveat Lector wrote:

Just out of curousity -- what modern Ham gear uses a Colpitts oscillator or
a swinging choke ??

I believe that a goodly percentage of fixed-frequency quartz crystal
oscillators use a Colpitts configuration in their feedback circuitry.
Pierce topologies are likely used, as well.

The L in such oscillators is the motional inductance of the crystal,
rather than the inductance of a wire-wound inductor, but the principle
is still the same.

Then why ask these questions on a 2005 Ham test ??

Because the circuits are still relevant, to either modern ham gear, or
to the older gear that many hams refurbish and use, or to both.

Maybe ask about a VCO or a crowbar circuit ??

VCOs require some form of positive feedback in order to oscillate.
This can be in a Colpitts configuration just as well as in any other.

Questions about a crowbar would certainly be relevant as well.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old July 28th 05, 06:51 PM
John Smith

Dave:

I have seen designs used which use a "white noise generator" at their osc.

Simply filter the freq you want from it and off you go...

John

Old July 28th 05, 10:18 PM

Caveat Lector wrote:
Just out of curousity -- what modern Ham gear uses a Colpitts oscillator or
a swinging choke ??

Then why ask these questions on a 2005 Ham test ??

Maybe ask about a VCO or a crowbar circuit ??

--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

Someone wrote

Draw a Colpitts Oscillator
What is a swinging choke

The Ameritron ALS-600 solid state amplifier uses a swinging choke in
its 50 volt 20 amp power supply. The choke is essentially the
regulating element because it swings in and out of core saturation. I
understand they now have a SMPS that they will offer with the ALS-600.
Maybe they should have some questions about SMPS on the exam.
Gary N4AST

Old July 28th 05, 10:27 PM
Ham op

Caveat Lector wrote:

Just out of curousity -- what modern Ham gear uses a Colpitts oscillator or
a swinging choke ??

Then why ask these questions on a 2005 Ham test ??

Maybe ask about a VCO or a crowbar circuit ??

You miss the point! Totally missed the point!!

In the 'olden days', the exams were not multiple guess questions; and,
they were answered in front of an FCC Engineer. In the olden days one
had to commit to some real effort to get a license. In human nature we
VALUE that which we work for or invest for.

The crime in ham radio today is the 5 hour Saturday morning cram session
followed by a VE session; followed by a license; followed by loss of
interest in a year or so.

I live in a small town with 14 licensed 'hams' with only one active [me]
and only one HF station [mine].

IMO there is a significant difference between number of licenses issued
or valid and how many hams are on the air.

Old July 28th 05, 10:32 PM
John Smith

.... in the "olden days" it was expected you would be building that equipment
you were being tested on ...

.... of course logic and reason now demands the removal of those questions ...

John

Old July 28th 05, 10:33 PM
Ham op

Caveat Lector wrote:

Just out of curousity -- what modern Ham gear uses a Colpitts oscillator or
a swinging choke ??

Then why ask these questions on a 2005 Ham test ??

Maybe ask about a VCO or a crowbar circuit ??

All of them!!! The reference oscillator in every phase locked loop is
generally a Colpitt's oscillator. I suspect that every oscillator in
the VCO circuit is also Colpitt's.

By simply asking the question you make the point!!!

The required level of knowledge for a license today is significantly
poorer than 40 or 50 years ago.

Old July 28th 05, 10:36 PM
Ham op

White noise is a critical requirement of the Colpitts/Hartley oscillator
design.

Nothing new here!

You say you don't know why White noise is required. Better go read
Terman or other credible designers.

Caveat Lector wrote:

[...]

Question pools and answers... John Smith Policy 3 July 26th 05 01:24 AM
FCC Morse testing at 16 and 20 WPM Avery Hightower Policy 196 July 30th 04 01:25 AM
New Candidate for 'Youngest Extra' N2EY Policy 310 April 19th 04 03:18 AM
New ARRL Proposal N2EY Policy 331 March 4th 04 12:02 AM
Low reenlistment rate charlesb Policy 54 September 18th 03 01:57 PM