Old January 7th 06, 10:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
RST Engineering \(jw\)

Default Doppler Radar

Peter, thanks, but they are a bit pricey for what I have in mind.

Jim

"Peter" wrote in message
On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 11:28:12 -0800, "RST Engineering"
wrote:

Jim, take a look at www.shfmicro.com where you'll find 10GHz and
24GHz doppler modules for sale at very favourable prices. They would
certainly be very useful for what you have in mind.

Old January 7th 06, 10:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Wes Stewart

On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 16:06:31 -0500, "Rather Play Pinball"
wrote:

Do a looksie on E-Pay, cheap old style X and K band units are available.
With a 12vDC power supply, you can have your very own source. Even if you
just buy the head without the counter, the 12vdc will supply the head and it
will put out.

Do NOT purchase the Ramsey "kit" for this applicaiton. While it may be fun
for a budding electronics wanna-be, it does not put out at a frequency that
will trigger radar detectors.

He's not trying to set off detectors, he's trying to set a speed
threshold where a siren goes off.

But what the heck, if you're going to set up an illegal transmitter,
might as well use one big enough to reset the ECM in their cars.
Old January 7th 06, 10:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
RST Engineering

What illegal? I can either retune it for a ham band or reduce power if
necessary. I'll find the hardware first and figure out the legal later.

Jim

Old January 7th 06, 11:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
maxfoo

On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 11:28:12 -0800, "RST Engineering"
wrote:

Back in the '60s and early '70s I did some work with Impatt and Gunn diodes,
building a little self-detecting doppler for speed sensing. However, 35
years have passed and my notebooks for that stuff are somewhere in a dusty
archive along with my venerable sliderule.

Is there a cheap source for onesies-twosies of a radar front-end that will
give me doppler audio as a function of a large metal object's speed at a
range of 20 meters or so? I don't need to go into production on this thing,
just build one. A surplus source would be ideal.

It seems that the little kids on our rural country lane have all become
teenagers at once and are trying to outdo the others in how fast they can
drive daddy's car up and down the lane. We've lost one dog this week and
unless I can put up some sort of a siren that goes off when they exceed some
agreed upon limit, the carnage will continue.

Regards,

Jim

Go to your local police department and have them monitor the speeders with a
automated speed display unit. What! they don't have one in your town? bring it
up at the next town meeting...

Old January 7th 06, 11:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Ken Taylor

"RST Engineering (jw)" wrote in message
Why would I care if it triggered a radar detector? In fact, it would be
BETTER if it didn't trigger a detector.

Jim

Why? Don't you intend to trigger a siren to slow them down? What's it matter
if they slow down because of their dectors - they slow down, and that would
appear to be the important thing.

Cheers.

Ken

"Rather Play Pinball" wrote in message

Do NOT purchase the Ramsey "kit" for this applicaiton. While it may be
fun for a budding electronics wanna-be, it does not put out at a

frequency
that will trigger radar detectors.

Jack

Old January 7th 06, 11:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Ken Taylor

There's a radar speed gun on Ebay *NOW* (not mine, so technically this isn't
spam...:-)

Cheers.

Ken

Old January 7th 06, 11:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Brian

"RST Engineering" wrote in message

What a waste of time! If you have a problem with speeding cars just phone
the police, or video record it and phone them at a later date. Also don't
be irresponsible and let dogs out as they might cause an accident or get
killed if they run across roads infront of cars.

Old January 8th 06, 12:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Brian

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
Neither should little kids, but poo happens. With dogs it's "I'm sorry".
With kids it's manslaughter.

Jim

"Doug Smith W9WI" wrote in message

as a bicyclist, I find it necessary to point out... that if the
neighborhood dogs are being hit by speeders, those dogs are obviously in
the road. They shouldn't be.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

RESPONSIBLE parents do not let their children run out in the road, idiots
that allow dogs to run free in the road need to be aware that they can cause
accidents. I do hope the pathetic owner is held responsible when a dog
which is out of control runs out and causes an accident.
Two seperate arguments, you need to be clear of what it is you want.
Jealousy is a terrible thing, so if that's all it's down to then give up.
That is wht it comes across as. The people concerned probably have their
own cars and don't expect some idiot to allow a dog to run infront of them
in the hope they will hit it. Were you after an insurance claim?
Keep the dogs under control as responsible people keep their children under
control.

Old January 8th 06, 12:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Brian

"Joerg" wrote in message
. net...
Hello Jim,

Neither should little kids, but poo happens. With dogs it's "I'm sorry".

Not necessarily. It can become wrongful death but you'd have to have proof
of grossly excessive speed. Skidmarks can be such proof if a car doesn't
have ALB. But, of course, the experts for that usually only come out when
a person has been hit.

Regards, Joerg

No idea what you mean by ALB as abbreviations are only good for those who
all have an understanding of what is meant.
If you refer to a car with antilock brakes then they DO leave marks that can
be identified. I have investigated enough accident scenes that leave the
same tell tale signs. Boy racers with antilock brakes all assume they can
go faster and no one will know. How wrong they are.

Old January 8th 06, 12:05 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
RST Engineering

A) We aren't in a "town", rather we are pretty far out into the country.

B) It is a private dead-end road owned in mutual easement between the four
families that live at the end of it about half a mile off the county road
that serves it. The county mounties have nothing to say about what goes on
on the road.

C) I realize that this is newsnet and anything goes, but why can't you just
ATFQ?