Old January 9th 06, 10:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Rich Grise, but drunk

Default Doppler Radar

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 11:28:12 -0800, RST Engineering wrote:

Back in the '60s and early '70s I did some work with Impatt and Gunn diodes,
building a little self-detecting doppler for speed sensing. However, 35
years have passed and my notebooks for that stuff are somewhere in a dusty
archive along with my venerable sliderule.

Is there a cheap source for onesies-twosies of a radar front-end that will
give me doppler audio as a function of a large metal object's speed at a
range of 20 meters or so? I don't need to go into production on this thing,
just build one. A surplus source would be ideal.

It seems that the little kids on our rural country lane have all become
teenagers at once and are trying to outdo the others in how fast they can
drive daddy's car up and down the lane. We've lost one dog this week and
unless I can put up some sort of a siren that goes off when they exceed some
agreed upon limit, the carnage will continue.

Just call your local cop shop, and find out where they get their radar
guns - if these kids are posing a threat to life and limb, the cops might
come out and do it for you.

Good Luck!
Rich

Old January 9th 06, 10:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Rich Grise, but drunk

[...]

Get a piece of baling wire, and tie two garbage cans together, one on
either side of the alleyway, with the wire about 18" (1/2M) off the ground.

That should slow the little *******s down! :-

Good Luck!
Rich

Old January 9th 06, 10:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Rich Grise, but drunk

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 00:28:59 +0000, Joerg wrote:

Hello Brian,

Keep the dogs under control as responsible people keep their children under
control.

Even then it can still happen and we all have to use our cars carefully.
One kid didn't get injured because I was going 15mph in a 25mph zone
(the street where we live). It dashed out when the garage was opened,
zooming into the road from behind a van. Couldn't see it coming but I
never go faster on that street, for that very reason. I came to a stop
about one foot before the child.

I was once in a parking lot, and just kind of _knew_ that some kid was
going to run out in front of me, and not a second later, there came the
ball and the kid. I had already stopped.

Cheers!
Rich

Old January 9th 06, 10:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Rich Grise, but drunk

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 12:13:49 +1300, Ken Taylor wrote:

"RST Engineering (jw)" wrote in message
Why would I care if it triggered a radar detector? In fact, it would be
BETTER if it didn't trigger a detector.

Jim

Why? Don't you intend to trigger a siren to slow them down? What's it matter
if they slow down because of their dectors - they slow down, and that would
appear to be the important thing.

Nah - It's Jim @ RST - he wants to nail somebody so he can kick their ass.

Cheers!
Rich

Old January 9th 06, 10:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Rich Grise, but drunk

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 07:35:15 -0700, Wes Stewart wrote:

On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 14:47:08 -0800, "RST Engineering"
wrote:

What illegal? I can either retune it for a ham band or reduce power if
necessary. I'll find the hardware first and figure out the legal later.

Well, I know I'm going to be asked to leave this discussion but,
technically, unless you are IDing with your call sign every 10
minutes. it would be illegal. I seriously doubt that this was in your
plan.

Police radar guns, should you come up with one, are also licensed to
the department, assuming the cops are following the law, always a
dubious proposition.

So, because these are -technical- newsgroups, I was being -technical-.

Now for a "prohibited" non-technical suggestion, here is one that I am
contemplating. I too live on a short, private, single-lane road, that
serves four multi-acre homesites. I am plagued by the guys driving
delivery trucks (DHL, UPS, etc) who roar down the road in a cloud of
dust while delivering to my neighbors. I have complained to UPS
repeatedly without success.

So one of these days, when I'm up to it, after they go by on the way
to the neighbor's house, I'm going to take my truck out and block the
road for 15 minutes. (A second offense will call for a penalty of 30
minutes, etc) UPS seems to have a deal with law enforcement that
exempts them from speed limits on public roads, but in AZ the statutes
say:

28-628. Rights of real property owners

This chapter does not prevent the owner of real property that is used
by the public for purposes of vehicular travel by permission of the
owner and not as a matter of right from:

1. Prohibiting that use.

2. Requiring other, different or additional conditions than those
specified in this chapter.

3. Otherwise regulating the use as deemed best by the owner.

In other words, I get to regulate the speed (I've posted it as 10
MPH). I have no power to fine UPS, but I can still cost them money.

Put up a gate and charge them $1.00 in and $100.00 out. ;-)

Good Luck!
Rich

Old January 9th 06, 10:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Rich Grise, but drunk

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 15:37:05 -0700, Wes Stewart wrote:

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 14:42:32 GMT, Fred Bloggs
wrote:

Wes Stewart wrote:

28-628. Rights of real property owners

This chapter does not prevent the owner of real property that is used
by the public for purposes of vehicular travel by permission of the
owner and not as a matter of right from:

1. Prohibiting that use.

2. Requiring other, different or additional conditions than those
specified in this chapter.

3. Otherwise regulating the use as deemed best by the owner.

In other words, I get to regulate the speed (I've posted it as 10
MPH). I have no power to fine UPS, but I can still cost them money.

You are not reading the wording carefully; it is the "not as a matter of
right from" that you are missing. It very well may be a matter of right
if the private road is co-owned by the other property holders and this
ownership allows them the right to transact business in the way of
receiving deliveries as they choose.

Gray area. The road is not co-owned by the other property owners. At
least my deed doesn't say a thing about me co-owning a piece of the
property between the public street and me.

Besides, I'm not going to stop the delivery, I'm just going to do some
"traffic calming" when the truch is leaving.

What you're trying to tell me is that I've given up complete control
of an easement and if the truck drivers want to go 100 MPH I have no
say in the matter. If I were to call the Sheriff's office I'd be
told, "It's private property, we can't do a thing." If I asked the
county to grade it I would be told to kiss off. If someone got hurt
on the easement, I would be liable. When I bought the place the title
company had a hissy fit because there wasn't a road maintenance
agreement in place. It took the appraiser writing something to the
effect that this was a typical situation in this area, and that each
property owner maintained the road on his easement, before the company
would issue title insurance.

Sounds to me like I do have some say so over the property.

Can you say, "speed bump?"

Good Luck!
Rich

Old January 9th 06, 10:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Rich Grise, but drunk

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 18:30:06 -0800, RST Engineering (jw) wrote:

You are one of the idiots I don't ever want to live next to. We can talk to
the parents until we are blue in the face and the kids are going to be ...
kids.

Please butt out of this conversation.

If this is the kind of attitude that you're displaying to your neighbors,
then it's no wonder that the kids are punishing you.

Are you such a crusty old crank in real life?

Just shoot their tires out then.

Thanks,
Rich

Ji

"James T. White" wrote in message

So go have a talk with the parents in the other three families and ask
them to get control of their kids. Better yet, send the responsible
ones a bill for your new dog.

--
James T. White

Old January 9th 06, 10:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Rich Grise, but drunk

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 20:00:17 -0800, RST Engineering wrote:

Good idea, Joerg. Where do I get onesie-twosie IR sensors that will trigger
at 3 meters or better?

Look at garage door opener safety electric eye thingies. ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Jim

"Joerg" wrote in message
om...
Hello Jim,

Since you said this is a road with very little traffic can't you just rig
up two IR sensing paths?

Old January 9th 06, 11:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Steve Nosko

I don't know where this thread went, but... Perhaps I missed it, but try
searching on Gunplexer.

That should get you to the ham sites where such things are talked about and
sources named. Hams use them on 10 GHz and it would be a simple matter to
detect the Doppler freq and do some sort of frequency detect.

Oh hell. here's some of my links:
http://www.g3pho.free-online.co.uk/m...s/wideband.htm
http://www.kwarc.org/10ghz/10GHZ-4.htm

73, Steve, K,9.D;C'I

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
[...]

Regards,

Jim

Old January 10th 06, 01:16 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Wes Stewart

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 17:00:44 -0600, "Steve Nosko"
wrote:

I don't know where this thread went, but... Perhaps I missed it, but try
searching on Gunplexer.

It went the way of all neighborly, over the backyard fence
discussions.

This is usenet, remember. Totally typical and often informative (and
often not) [g].