Old January 8th 06, 05:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design

Default Doppler Radar

Dan Richardson wrote:
On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 11:28:12 -0800, "RST Engineering"
wrote:

Is there a cheap source for onesies-twosies of a radar front-end that will
give me doppler audio as a function of a large metal object's speed at a
range of 20 meters or so? I don't need to go into production on this thing,
just build one. A surplus source would be ideal.

Ramsey makes a kit. You can find the info he

http://www.youdoitelectronics.com/id..._radar_kit.htm

Danny, K6MHE

no offense but:

ramsey's kiit emits all of about 500 microwatts at 1.6 ghz, useless
for dogs, but Ok for part 15 radar of cars.

try www.shfmicro.com

Steve Roberts

Old January 8th 06, 08:48 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Saandy , 4Z5KS

...try Philips . they manufactured once a module working in the X band
for security detectots, doors openers and suchlike. if I remember
correctly iwas named CL-8XXX.

Old January 8th 06, 01:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Scott

How about a gate at the end of the road that can be opened by the users
with a garage door opener, ie a gated community of sorts. If it's a
private road, keep others off.

RST Engineering wrote:

A) We aren't in a "town", rather we are pretty far out into the country.

B) It is a private dead-end road owned in mutual easement between the four
families that live at the end of it about half a mile off the county road
that serves it. The county mounties have nothing to say about what goes on
on the road.

C) I realize that this is newsnet and anything goes, but why can't you just
ATFQ?

Jim

Go to your local police department and have them monitor the speeders with
automated speed display unit. What! they don't have one in your town?
bring it
up at the next town meeting...

Old January 8th 06, 02:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Wes Stewart

On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 14:47:08 -0800, "RST Engineering"
wrote:

What illegal? I can either retune it for a ham band or reduce power if
necessary. I'll find the hardware first and figure out the legal later.

Well, I know I'm going to be asked to leave this discussion but,
technically, unless you are IDing with your call sign every 10
minutes. it would be illegal. I seriously doubt that this was in your
plan.

Police radar guns, should you come up with one, are also licensed to
the department, assuming the cops are following the law, always a
dubious proposition.

So, because these are -technical- newsgroups, I was being -technical-.

Now for a "prohibited" non-technical suggestion, here is one that I am
contemplating. I too live on a short, private, single-lane road, that
serves four multi-acre homesites. I am plagued by the guys driving
delivery trucks (DHL, UPS, etc) who roar down the road in a cloud of
dust while delivering to my neighbors. I have complained to UPS
repeatedly without success.

So one of these days, when I'm up to it, after they go by on the way
to the neighbor's house, I'm going to take my truck out and block the
road for 15 minutes. (A second offense will call for a penalty of 30
minutes, etc) UPS seems to have a deal with law enforcement that
exempts them from speed limits on public roads, but in AZ the statutes
say:

28-628. Rights of real property owners

This chapter does not prevent the owner of real property that is used
by the public for purposes of vehicular travel by permission of the
owner and not as a matter of right from:

1. Prohibiting that use.

2. Requiring other, different or additional conditions than those
specified in this chapter.

3. Otherwise regulating the use as deemed best by the owner.

In other words, I get to regulate the speed (I've posted it as 10
MPH). I have no power to fine UPS, but I can still cost them money.
Old January 8th 06, 02:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Fred Bloggs

Wes Stewart wrote:

28-628. Rights of real property owners

This chapter does not prevent the owner of real property that is used
by the public for purposes of vehicular travel by permission of the
owner and not as a matter of right from:

1. Prohibiting that use.

2. Requiring other, different or additional conditions than those
specified in this chapter.

3. Otherwise regulating the use as deemed best by the owner.

In other words, I get to regulate the speed (I've posted it as 10
MPH). I have no power to fine UPS, but I can still cost them money.

You are not reading the wording carefully; it is the "not as a matter of
right from" that you are missing. It very well may be a matter of right
if the private road is co-owned by the other property holders and this
ownership allows them the right to transact business in the way of
receiving deliveries as they choose.

Old January 8th 06, 02:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Jim Thompson

wrote:

[...]

You're probably going to get into "co-ownership" issues regarding the
access easement. How is the road ownership defined... everyone grant
an easement to the others?

A neighbor may sue you for "interference" in his business.

Where in AZ are you?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Old January 8th 06, 03:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Fred Bloggs

Back in the '60s and early '70s I did some work with Impatt and Gunn diodes,
building a little self-detecting doppler for speed sensing. However, 35
years have passed and my notebooks for that stuff are somewhere in a dusty
archive along with my venerable sliderule.

Is there a cheap source for onesies-twosies of a radar front-end that will
give me doppler audio as a function of a large metal object's speed at a
range of 20 meters or so? I don't need to go into production on this thing,
just build one. A surplus source would be ideal.

It seems that the little kids on our rural country lane have all become
teenagers at once and are trying to outdo the others in how fast they can
drive daddy's car up and down the lane. We've lost one dog this week and
unless I can put up some sort of a siren that goes off when they exceed some
agreed upon limit, the carnage will continue.

You should just lay down some pressure switch hose and get a Parallax
BASIC STAMP kit from Radio Shack. Parallax has wireless modules on their
site you can order to xmit the data to your house for timestamping,
archiving via a PC etc...The smarts will run off a 9V for months- you
can't say that about a Gunn osc xmtr or any of the other surplus junk.
And then there is the issue of weather-proofing and possible loss due to
vandalism- think hidden wireless camera activated by intrusion alarm in PIC.

Old January 8th 06, 04:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Bill Janssen

wrote:

What illegal? I can either retune it for a ham band or reduce power if
necessary. I'll find the hardware first and figure out the legal later.

Well, I know I'm going to be asked to leave this discussion but,
technically, unless you are IDing with your call sign every 10
minutes. it would be illegal. I seriously doubt that this was in your
plan.

Police radar guns, should you come up with one, are also licensed to
the department, assuming the cops are following the law, always a
dubious proposition.

There is a frequency near 10.5 GHz assigned for unlicensed door openers etc.
I have a few of the Gunn units that came from door openers.

Bill K7NOM

some stuff snipped

Old January 8th 06, 05:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
RST Engineering

Precisely the plan, Wes. The horn serves two purposes. One, it alerts the
transgressor that they pushed the button. Two, it alerts me to fire up the
truck and block the road.

As others have pointed out, a two pressure hose setup and some simple math
in a microprocessor of some sort would serve the same purpose at far less
current draw, but I'd like to try the radar gun first.

Hell, Jim Thompson went on for two weeks about how to detect a school bus
pulling up in front of the house. I thought this one would go on for at
LEAST as long {;-)

BTW, Jim, what was your ultimate solution to that problem?

Jim

Old January 8th 06, 05:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Frank Bemelman

"RST Engineering" schreef in bericht
BTW, Jim, what was your ultimate solution to that problem?

No solution at all, I'd guess. JT is full of ****, being the miserable
piece of **** that he is.

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove 'q' and '.invalid' when replying by email)