Old January 10th 06, 02:07 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Default Doppler Radar

RST Engineering wrote:

Back in the '60s and early '70s I did some work with Impatt and Gunn diodes,
building a little self-detecting doppler for speed sensing. However, 35
years have passed and my notebooks for that stuff are somewhere in a dusty
archive along with my venerable sliderule.

Is there a cheap source for onesies-twosies of a radar front-end that will
give me doppler audio as a function of a large metal object's speed at a
range of 20 meters or so? I don't need to go into production on this thing,
just build one. A surplus source would be ideal.

It seems that the little kids on our rural country lane have all become
teenagers at once and are trying to outdo the others in how fast they can
drive daddy's car up and down the lane. We've lost one dog this week and
unless I can put up some sort of a siren that goes off when they exceed some
agreed upon limit, the carnage will continue.

A strobe light. The radar 'your speed is..' signs don't do much to
discourage the a*holes. They just try to see what sort of quarter mile
speed they can hit.

The ones with the strobe make them wonder whether they'll be getting one
of those photo tickets in the mail.

--
Paul Hovnanian
-- Etaoin Shrdlu
Old January 10th 06, 02:23 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Jim Thompson

On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 18:07:47 -0800, "Paul Hovnanian P.E."
wrote:

RST Engineering wrote:

[...]

How about a sign that says, "Shotgun automatically triggered when
speed exceeds 25MPH" ?:-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Old January 10th 06, 03:40 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Rich Grise, but drunk

RST Engineering wrote:

It seems that the little kids on our rural country lane have all become
teenagers at once and are trying to outdo the others in how fast they can
drive daddy's car up and down the lane. We've lost one dog this week and
unless I can put up some sort of a siren that goes off when they exceed some
agreed upon limit, the carnage will continue.

A strobe light. The radar 'your speed is..' signs don't do much to
discourage the a*holes. They just try to see what sort of quarter mile
speed they can hit.

The ones with the strobe make them wonder whether they'll be getting one
of those photo tickets in the mail.

How about a sign that says, "Shotgun automatically triggered when
speed exceeds 25MPH" ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

Leave it to Thompson to come up with one that involves lethal violence.
At least the booby-trap I suggested only involves noise and damage to
the car's paint ( and maybe sheet metal, depending how fast they're going
and what's in the garbage cans. )

Cheers!
Rich

Old January 10th 06, 05:23 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Michael A. Terrell

Jim Thompson wrote:

How about a sign that says, "Shotgun automatically triggered when
speed exceeds 25MPH" ?:-)

Jim Thompson

This from someone who brags about speeding? I say go for it,
anywhere you normally drive. If it works out ok on you, they can try it
in other cities.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Old January 10th 06, 07:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Paul Keinanen

On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 18:25:20 -0800, "RST Engineering"
wrote:

What a fu**ing jerk. I asked a technical question in a technical newsgroup.
I expect a technical answer.

As to your political and ethical questions to my question, go find another
newsgroup to tell others how to live.

I just wonder why you are posting to an amateur radio newsgroup ?

Your rambling about speed traps has nothing to do with amateur radio.

Paul OH3LWR

Old January 10th 06, 02:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Ian

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
snip
Google Earth...

Intersection of Cholla St. and 68th St., Scottsdale, AZ 85254

LAT 33.589390°

LON -111.935610°

There are quite a few of this type in Scottsdale and in Carefree/Cave
Creek, AZ.

Phoenix tends toward speed bumps, but is also looking into
round-abouts.

Scroll a few blocks SW from there to the NW corner of Desert Cove and
66th St., and you'll see the acre I lived on from 1969 to 1994.

I always referred to the Cholla/68th St. intersection as the "drunk
catcher", because there's a dip there as well... rain drain channel
;-)

...Jim Thompson

Anyone point me to how do you enter Latitude and Longitude into Google
Earth?

Regards
Ian

Old January 10th 06, 03:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Jim Thompson

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 14:49:12 -0000, "Ian"
wrote:

[...]

I don't know either, I just put in Cholla & Scottsdale Rd, Scottsdale,
AZ 85254 and then scrolled west.

I then read off and noted the latitude and longitude in case someone
knew how to do it directly.

...Jim Thompson

Old January 10th 06, 04:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Spehro Pefhany

wrote:

[...]

Try pasting this into the search bar:

33 30 11.57N 111 55 46.22W

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Old January 11th 06, 11:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Ian

"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in message

Try pasting this into the search bar:

33 30 11.57N 111 55 46.22W

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Thanks, Spehro, I'll try that tonight (Google Earth doesn't like my ancient
graphics card at work).

Regards
Ian

Old January 11th 06, 11:27 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Winfield Hill

Spehro Pefhany wrote...

Try pasting this into the search bar:
33 30 11.57N 111 55 46.22W

Try this one in Hybrid mode, Google has you driving off
an unfinished bridge, 42.370831,-71.066555 :-)

--
Thanks,
- Win