Old March 30th 07, 03:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Default The First Month of the Revolution in USA Amateur Radio

KH6HZ wrote:
"Dave Heil" wrote:

You're being disingenuous again, Leonard. I've stated that you are a
newcomer to *amateur* radio. Each time I've done so, you've tried to make
it appear that I've used the generic term "radio".

I think Grandpa Lennie is simply jealous of the fact that due to his waiting
54 years to get an amateur radio license...

It doesn't matter whether he's jealous or not, Mike. He can fill up his
years with getting on 75m and telling hams who have been in the game for
decades about his experiences at ADA in the 1950's.

-- and the fact that the actuarial
tables state he probably doesn't have 15 years left...

I don't intend to keep reminding him of his remaining time on the
planet. Any of us could easily go before Len does. All it takes is a
traffic accident (Roger Wiseman's death wish for me: failing brakes,
sharp curves, twisting road) or a sudden illness. The fact is that I've
already enjoyed 43 years in amateur radio.

-- he will be unable to
accumulate 230k+ QSOs that others accumulated here have.

If he gets busy and hones his skills, he could get it done. I made over
that number in my nearly sixteen years overseas though it wasn't really
that long since I was typically in the U.S. for two to three months
between assignments and usually burned a month or so of leave in the
U.S. or elsewhere each year. I've submitted nearly 30,000 QSOs to LOTW
but I still have years of contest logs from the paper logging days which
have yet to be entered into the computer logging database. It'd be nice
to have a half million or so QSOs logged before departure time.

If Len Anderson wants to pretend that he is part of some revolution, let
him play. He'll unbox his JA transceiver, hook it to a vertical antenna
and have all the fun he is capable of having.

Dave K8MN
Old March 30th 07, 03:33 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

On Mar 29, 11:10 pm, Dave Heil wrote:
wrote:
On Mar 29, 10:38 pm, Dave Heil wrote:
AF6AY wrote:
On Mar 29, 3:08?am, wrote:
On Mar 29, 12:18 am, Dave Heil wrote:
You bleated something about Korea. ?
You bleated something about running for the Roanoke Division
Directorship. ?How's your nomination coming?
He may have only 1 nomination vote. shrug
I've not announced that I'm running for any ARRL office. If or when I
do, you'll not have a chance to vote for a candidate from the Roanoke
Division. I understand your error. You're a newcomer to amateur radio.

Apparently not. Len understands that he cannot vote for you.

Does he? He seems to think that nominations are votes.

You'll
have to look elsewhere for your one vote.

Best of luck on your nomination.

A guy who can't find the required number of other ARRL full members in
his entire Division to sign his nominating petition would have more
problems than worrying about getting one vote.

Indeed. That was Len's point. Nice to see you came around to it in
your round about way.

Old March 30th 07, 03:35 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

On Mar 29, 11:09 pm, "KH6HZ" wrote:
"Dave Heil" wrote:
You're being disingenuous again, Leonard. I've stated that you are a
newcomer to *amateur* radio. Each time I've done so, you've tried to make
it appear that I've used the generic term "radio".

I think Grandpa Lennie is simply jealous of the fact that due to his waiting
54 years to get an amateur radio license -- and the fact that the actuarial
tables state he probably doesn't have 15 years left -- he will be unable to
accumulate 230k+ QSOs that others accumulated here have.

Not to mention club call signs... He's way, way, way behind the power
curve. Maybe you could offer some pointers.

Old March 30th 07, 04:38 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

AF6AY wrote:
On Mar 29, 3:08?am, wrote:
[...]

Len's point is under his hair.

You and Len seem a little confused. I'm not running for any League
office. I've not made any announcement that I was.

Nice to see you came around to it in
your round about way.

I'd think you'd see that you and Leonard are walking around in circles.
You had me running for an election and Len had me looking for a
"nomination vote." Those were two factual errors from two folks who
make quite a number of factual errors.

Dave K8MN

Old March 30th 07, 04:56 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

From: Dave Heil on Thu, 29 Mar 2007 16:34:59 GMT

From: on Wed, 28 Mar 2007 16:00:14 -0400

I have a much lesser view of "inertia" (failure to "get going"
on some problem) that is supposed to be in government. I see
such "inertia" as simply the time required in having to
consider ALL citizens' input, not just one group that thinks
they are the 'only' ones who can be righteous on some viewpoint.

I'm sure that your view was formulated based upon your own experience
with inertia: Decades of considering all things concerning GETTING INTO
amateur radio, better than ten years of posting in this newsgroup, your
false start over seven years ago and finally, waiting for the Morse code
test to disappear.

Oh, my, passing that brick must have REALLY hurt! You
certainly MANUFACTURED a great number of FALSEHOODS
there, David. :-)

Amateur radio was NOT one of my life goals, David. It is just
a small part of the much larger world of radio where I've lived
and worked in for decades. It just wasn't something I desired
or longed for during all that time.

My participation in a campaign to (successfully) eliminate the
morse code test was a POLITICAL exercise in regards to old,
antiquated radio regulations for a hobby radio activity. That
had NOTHING to do with (what you imagine) as lusting after a
amateur radio license. :-)

Newcomers are generally
younger and aren't buying "the old guy's club" stuff like the
old guys did when they were young.

Generally younger? Do you mean generally younger than yourself when you
became a newcomer some weeks ago?

I was a newcomer in radio 54 years ago. :-) I'm not a "newcomer"
in ANY radio, sweetums.

I became an ARRL member at 14.

Bully for you. Why did you WAIT so long? Didn't you know that
you could have been licensed at age 4?

You WAITED and procrastinated for a WHOLE DECADE! :-)

My opinion is that the FCC thinks LESS of the ARRL than it might
have two decades or more ago.

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. That doesn't make it
factual; it just makes it your opinion.

Yes, Sherlock, that is MY OPINION. You don't like my opinion.
TS on that, sweetums.

Your dislike of MY OPINION is just your dislike. It doesn't
make YOU "right" or even factual. :-)

Other radio services have their own man-made jargon, procedures and
regulations.

How do you know? Did you go to State Department RADIO
SCHOOL to learn that? Or did State accept your "knowledge
of ham radio" as superior to everything else and just
assign you to an Embassy right away?

Why don't you quote some "jargon and procedure" from an ATCRBS?
How about from some harbor or inland waterway? How about from
some MARS field exercise with other government radio services?
Do you roger that, old airman? :-)

Amateur radio is not solely about design and theory. Much of it is
about operating, the thing which an amateur radio license permits you to do.

I've OPERATED radios on LF, on HF, on VHF, on UHF, and on
microwaves WITHOUT *ANY* LICENSE! Legally, too. :-)

I've OPERATED broadcast transmitters, even talked over them,
with a COMMERCIAL radio operator license...something that is
NOT PERMITTED with an amateur radio license.

I've OPERATED a civil aviation radio, its companion VOR, and
ATC Transponder with a COMMERCIAL radio operator license. The
FCC will not allow an amateur radio licensee to do that unless
they have a commercial license. That was AT the controls of
the aircraft at the time. :-)

I have NOT "operated" using morse code on any radio...and I
don't care to do so now. Isn't that what YOU call "operating
a radio?" :-)

The practitioners of amateur radio, at least some, will pound
on the table, get red in the face, hollering that the ONLY way
one can learn "radio" is to become an amateur licensee. That's
totally stupid emotional non-logic.

It surely is stupid, emotional non-logic.

If you think so, why on earth did you use the "newcomer to radio"
remark earlier in this message?

Well, at least you agree that some of YOUR OWN remarks in
the past were, indeed, "stupid, emotional non-logic."

In fact, you're the only fellow I've seen make such a statement.

Did your computer screen malfunction. I was just paraphrasing
your own words of the past.

Most of those just haven't
had any real experience in other radio services and the resent
those of us who have done so.

I wouldn't advise that you start off making such statements when you
first put your brand new amateur radio license to use in getting on the air.

I've already been on the amateur bands, David...and have
discussed such subjects with other radio amateurs here. :-)

Those practitioners want to SHUT
OUT any mention of other radio services as "not applicable" to
amateur radio.

That's not the case either, Leonard. You've been told that amateur
radio is not like other services when it comes to the use of Morse code.

Tsk, tsk, you've TOLD ME a lot of different ****, David.
Complete with the wearing of the Waffen SS costume with
monocle in a terrible parody of Colonel Klink. :-)

It is still heavily used in amateur HF and VHF weak signal work.

Then by all means USE it yourself. Why do you insist on
shoving YOUR preferences down others' throats?

It would be if your statement were true. It isn't. You've made another
factual error.

Tsk, tsk, your biggest FACTUAL ERROR was opening your browser
and attempting to convince others that their preferences should
be the same as yours. Compounding that was your FACTUAL ERROR
in assuming you were some kind of "authority" and/or "leader"
on who should do what and where.

Every time you shout "factual error" you make your own FACTUAL
ERROR. You have NO authority to judge anyone. You weren't even
elected to any ARRL office...and you've been a member since you
were fourteen! I'd say you really, Really, REALLY procrastinated
on that. My, my, all that time and couldn't become an OFFICER!

Have you considered joining the Civil Air Patrol? I hear they
will make just about anyone an OFFICER! No USAF schooling in
that, either! Now hurry up and PASS THAT BRICK.

73, Len AF6AY

Old March 30th 07, 06:32 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

On Mar 29, 6:35�pm, wrote:
On Mar 29, 11:09 pm, "KH6HZ" wrote:

"Dave Heil" wrote:
You're being disingenuous again, Leonard. *I've stated that you are a
newcomer to *amateur* radio. Each time I've done so, you've tried to make
it appear that I've used the generic term "radio".

I think Grandpa Lennie is simply jealous of the fact that due to his waiting
54 years to get an amateur radio license -- and the fact that the actuarial
tables state he probably doesn't have 15 years left -- he will be unable to
accumulate 230k+ QSOs that others accumulated here have.

Not to mention club call signs... *He's way, way, way behind the power
curve. *Maybe you could offer some pointers.

Yeah...something "up with which Deignan will not put!"

Wow, a collitch instructor stating a sentence that ends with:
...accumulate 230k+QSOs that others accumulted here have."

;-)

Wow, "I waited 54 years to get a ham license?!?" I don't think
so. :-) To some of those olde-tymers, the ONLY radio world
is the amateur world! They don't get out much.

But, I guess ham radio is the ONLY career they have. Pity
that. [snif, snif, boo hoo]

73, Len AF6AY

Old March 30th 07, 06:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

On Mar 29, 5:52�pm, wrote:
On Mar 29, 10:19 pm, "AF6AY" wrote:
On Mar 29, 3:08?am, wrote:
On Mar 29, 12:18 am, Dave Heil wrote:
AF6AY wrote:
On Mar 27, 5:19?pm, wrote:

You didn't serve in Korea.

* *As far as I'm concerned, Heil hasn't shown us ANY proof
* *that He was in southeast Asia during his military service.

I believe him. *Then there was the American Embassy in Tanzania. *I've
wondered about his proximity during the bombing.

Well, let's just say that Heil's PROOF of service is a tad
scant. :-)

You made up your classic tale of
what it is like to undergo an artillery barrage. ?

Did Len get it wrong? ?Tell us what it's like.

* *I'd like to know what David "knows." *I've been roughly
* *200 yards from an artillery fall...which was 300 yards
* *too close to the training group I was in.

Yeh, there's usuall one KIA on every FTX, but usually from a vehicle
accident or pushing a mast ito power lines or something usually
preventable. *We had a round impact next to dmain - I think it was
moonsan during Winter Haze. *They really shouldn't let those guys play
with those things. *They could hurt someone.

Right! The cadre we had were mostly career officers of
the red (artillery) and were NOT happy about THEM being
so close to the fall zone.

Your smugness is legendary.

* *It must be his training at the Fruenze Military Academy. *:-)

Did they win the war?

Yes, they did! [see private e-mail]

* *Well, we've had Major Dud in here expostulating up a storm
* *about his "USMC career." *

Curtailed career with no explanation whatsoever... *VA hospital,
rehabilitation, and disability pension, but was never injured, save
for some grit that got in his eye once. *Hmmmm?

Heh...but he finally got some RANK. I looked in on his
home page. A much newer flight suit, but less hair and
more pudgyness. Still the familiar scowl. He must think
that makes him look like a "tough guy." :-)

* *We've had Heil telling all sorts of
* *things about "being in a country AT war." *Those all blend
* *together, don't they?

So who hasn't? *Most of the people I actually know have been
deployed. *I don't actually know Jim, but I'm told he has served in
other ways.

Serving is serving. Who knows, he could have been a bus
boy at an O Club somewhere in PA when going to collitch.
Bus boys sometimes do serving.

* *Did David actually OPERATE any radios (other than a BC
* *receiver) in Vietnam? *I must have missed one of his brags
* *about that because I don't recall him giving any information
* *on that. *I really can't believe half of what he says in here.

All I can recall about his retelling of his Vietnam period was being
PO'd at not being permitted to be a ham over there.

Really? I thought he ran the Vietnam MARS stations all
by himself! I was mistaken. :-)

* *When I was assigned to ADA, we actually OPERATED HF
* *radios...and VHF radios...and UHF radios...and some
* *microwave radios. *Before the 1965 date that the DoD
* *says the USA "got involved" in the Vietnam War. *Not
* *only that, I've got photo and text references to that on a
* *publicly-accessible website. *shrug

Around 1965, I was operating my dad's Philips SW set from Athens,
Greece. *The birthplace of "democraticia" had a King, but no
television broadcasts, and we got our news and entertainment from BBC
and VOA. *The Dutch station had the best music, but who knew what they
were saying?

Hilversum's PCJ is world famous and Eddie Starz was still
alive in 1965. Terrific linguist, could handle most of the
languages himself! "Peace, Cheer, Joy" is what he called
PCJ. Difficult for me to get Holland directly so I tune for
their Netherlands Antilles repeater station.

* *But, David is passing a brick about my being a "newcomer
* *to radio" (after 54 years of that) and I guess we are supposed
* *to let him do that. *[the pain must be excrutiating for him]

Yikes! *That's one rough gall stone!

He's a big guy, ruff and tuff...he can take it.

Anyway, I've passed the 20 year mark in amateur radio, and in ham
years I'm still wet behind the ears... *according to the coded
elitists.

Nobody "better" than the coded elitists. Ask any one of them.

Sigh...there'l be no peace for them until the last coder's key
is pried from their cold, dead fingers. I'll be helping with the
pry bar when it happens. :-)

73, Len AF6AY

Old March 30th 07, 11:38 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

AF6AY wrote:
On Mar 29, 3:08?am, wrote:
[...]

You're not? You didn't?

Nice to see you came around to it in
your round about way.

I'd think you'd see that you and Leonard are walking around in circles.
You had me running for an election and Len had me looking for a
"nomination vote." Those were two factual errors from two folks who
make quite a number of factual errors.

Dave K8MN-

Dave, you'll never fulfill your dream of being the Roanoke Division
Director if you don't run. That's a fact.

Old March 30th 07, 11:43 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

On Mar 30, 2:32 am, "AF6AY" wrote:
On Mar 29, 6:35?pm, wrote:

On Mar 29, 11:09 pm, "KH6HZ" wrote:

"Dave Heil" wrote:
You're being disingenuous again, Leonard. ?I've stated that you are a
newcomer to *amateur* radio. Each time I've done so, you've tried to make
it appear that I've used the generic term "radio".

I think Grandpa Lennie is simply jealous of the fact that due to his waiting
54 years to get an amateur radio license -- and the fact that the actuarial
tables state he probably doesn't have 15 years left -- he will be unable to
accumulate 230k+ QSOs that others accumulated here have.

Not to mention club call signs... ?He's way, way, way behind the power
curve. ?Maybe you could offer some pointers.

Yeah...something "up with which Deignan will not put!"

Wow, a collitch instructor stating a sentence that ends with:
...accumulate 230k+QSOs that others accumulted here have."

;-)

You'll never see Jim or Dave point that out.

Wow, "I waited 54 years to get a ham license?!?" I don't think
so. :-) To some of those olde-tymers, the ONLY radio world
is the amateur world! They don't get out much.

They don't get out at all. Maybe they should try a trade show (no,
not a hamfest).

But, I guess ham radio is the ONLY career they have. Pity
that. [snif, snif, boo hoo]

73, Len AF6AY

No career? They'd be perfect for an ARRL office; no conflict of
interest.