Old July 24th 03, 11:44 PM
Dee D. Flint

"K3UD" wrote in message
In article , Larry Roll
K3LT wrote:

There is a least one person posting some astounding numbers based on
the FCC database on the QRZ.com forums which purport to show that 97%
of no code techs are dropping out after the term of the license
expires. Of course there is only about 6 months of FCC data being used
as a baseline due to the grace periods.

Perhaps the no code requirement for HF (if adopted by the FCC) will
keep more of the technician class in the ARS than the numbers predict.

Doubtful. Keep in mind that a large percentage of no-code techs (and other
license classes for that matter) are inactive and will not get the word.
It's been awhile since the requirement was dropped to 5wpm and there has
been no noticeable surge of pre-1987 Techs getting the paper upgrade to
General and no surge of Tech plusses taking the General written. All of
these people should have gotten their upgrades by now and haven't. There's
plenty of hams don't even know about it.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old July 25th 03, 12:00 AM
Dee D. Flint

"Radio Amateur KC2HMZ" wrote in message

I'm no expert on contesting, but I hear very little contest activity
on the WARC bands - at least on 12m and 17m anyway. Haven't spent much
time listening to 30m except to listen for signals for the purpose of
gauging band conditions.

There is absolutely no contesting on the WARC bands. All contest organizers
and sponsors have chosen to honor the approach that these are to be kept
free of contesting. This is for at least two reasons. 1) Have an area
where non-contesters can operate without getting run over by those in a
contest. 2) The WARC bands are just too narrow to allow contesting.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old July 26th 03, 04:55 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"Larry Roll K3LT" wrote in message
In article , K3UD
writes:

There is a least one person posting some astounding numbers based on
the FCC database on the QRZ.com forums which purport to show that 97%
of no code techs are dropping out after the term of the license
expires. Of course there is only about 6 months of FCC data being used
as a baseline due to the grace periods.

Perhaps the no code requirement for HF (if adopted by the FCC) will
keep more of the technician class in the ARS than the numbers predict.

George:

That will largely depend on what the HF phone bands become when the
present Technician-class licensees get their no-code General-class
upgrade and start plugging in the microphones. If, in the ensuing bedlam,
they are turning off large numbers of those who would have potentially
been good, decent HF phone ops, then there could be a problem.
Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that's precisely what will happen. What
I'm waiting to see is whether or not we get more HF digital operators --
preferably ones with reasonable typing skills.

73 de Larry, K3LT

I tend to agree with you Larry on this one. I see a large influx of no
nothing newguys trashing all up and down the bands. Until they run into a
75 or 20 meter 'klick'. Then its all over. It will make the AM/SSB wars
look like a skirmish.

Which is exactly what the FCC wants. Just another reason to shut down the
ARS.

I have decided that when I see the first sign of this insanity I will
forever place the microphone in the trash bin. With the exception of my
MARS and Traffic Nets functions.

Dan/W4NTI

Old July 26th 03, 11:29 PM
Dan/W4NTI

wrote in message
"Dan/W4NTI" wrote:
I have decided that when I see the first sign of this insanity I will
forever place the microphone in the trash bin. With the exception of my
MARS and Traffic Nets functions.

Dan/W4NTI

Do the same with your keyboard.

--
GO# 40

Oh no...I couldn't deprive all of you folks of my 'wisdom', now could I ??

Dan/W4NTI

Old July 29th 03, 02:02 AM
Brian

"Dick Carroll;" wrote in message ...

Looks like he meant that because the US bandplan isn't completely in accord
with the IARU international version we violate the bandplan..

His usual nonsense.

But Riley said not following the bandplan was an enforceable violation.
Old July 29th 03, 06:49 AM
Ryan, KC8PMX

Larry:

Now I see amateur radio communications a little different. Obviously in MY
life, the emergency or public service oriented communications take
precedence, but when I have the time-luxury of "chatting" I personally enjoy
taking the time to learn about another person. Learning such things as
their likes/dislikes; what they are passionate in life about.
Unfortunately my schedule allows me an average of about 5 minutes a day
(max.) for that right now, but things will change in the future.

--
Ryan, KC8PMX
FF1-FF2-MFR-(pending NREMT-B!)

I'm in just about the same place as you are. I don't "love" CW

whatsoever.
I really "like"it, but I'm not one of the nostalgic FISTS geezers that

write
poems about it and can head-copy a 60+ WPM data stream of CW while
drinking a cup of coffee, talking with someone in the shack, petting the
dog, and keeping their pipe lit! My CW operation is purely call/name/QTH/
Nice to meet you/QSL via burro/TNX ex 73 de K3LT QRZ? I may toss
in a few additional comments, but for me, ANY QSO in ANY mode that
lasts more than 10 minutes just isn't my style. I do have a tendency to
go on a bit longer in PSK-31 when I have a good connection, but I type
like a legal secretary, and that isn't any work for me.

73 de Larry, K3LT