Old April 6th 04, 09:55 PM
N2EY

"KØHB" wrote in message hlink.net...
"Carl R. Stevenson" wrote

| I will simply start to "kill-file" the
| offending parties' posts.
|
| 73,
| Carl - wk3c

It works wonders, Carl. Since implementing a disciplined screening
protocol the noise level has dropped about 30dB here.

Same here, Hans

Most of the
messages I see actually pertain to amateur radio policy.

Speaking of which, it now becomes apparent why your are waiting for
the right time to send your proposal to FCC. The others proposals are
functioning as "warm up acts" to your "main event".

Cool.

73 de Jim, N2EY
Old April 7th 04, 01:47 AM
garigue

I only need one finger to tap on the key with!

Dee and all the FISTS club members will come on here and tell you that
you don't tap on the key with one finger.

Actually I would have said you don't even need one. In an emergency,

just
about any part of the anatomy could be used. This is independent of what
the normal operating practice might be.

This was first proposed in a book that I saw at a hamfest a while back
- it was titled "Handsfree Telegraphy - The Dick Bash Method"

Leo ......

Sort of a new twist on the old "Bananna Boat Swing"

73 Tom KI3R

Old April 7th 04, 07:49 PM
Leo

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 00:47:20 GMT, "garigue"
wrote:

I only need one finger to tap on the key with!

Dee and all the FISTS club members will come on here and tell you that
you don't tap on the key with one finger.

Actually I would have said you don't even need one. In an emergency,

just
about any part of the anatomy could be used. This is independent of what
the normal operating practice might be.

This was first proposed in a book that I saw at a hamfest a while back
- it was titled "Handsfree Telegraphy - The Dick Bash Method"

Leo ......

Sort of a new twist on the old "Bananna Boat Swing"

It sure is!

I suspect that most of the folks that I have subjected to my
5-or-so-WPM code firmly believe that I learned from this book.....

73 Tom KI3R

73, Leo

Old April 9th 04, 09:27 PM
Ryan, KC8PMX

Jim:
I haven't been watching the newsgroups as much myself....... When there is
less than 5% of actual good debate/discussion on a topic (no matter how
risque it is) it is not worth my time to wade through the arguments. I have
had a schedule change which doesn't allow me the flexibility to respond like
I used to. Than and pursuing Fire Officer 1,2,3 and yet another Associates
and Bachelor degrees, my time is severely limited.

I do miss some of the debates/discussions of the past. Let's see what
topics of policy or procedure we can actually discuss, without fighting
about it.....

Ryan
KC8PMX

I believe that a lot of good folks, like Ed Hare, for one ... aren't

around
any more because they got sick of wading through all of the extraneous

crap
our "community" here is worse off for the loss of such folks'

contributions
to the *real* discussions, and it's a shame ...

I agree 100%, Carl.

So what should folks like you and I do about it?

In particular, when someone posts information that is flat out wrong,

should we
simply ignore it or challenge it?

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old April 11th 04, 09:59 PM
N2EY

In article , "Ryan, KC8PMX"
writes:

Jim:
I haven't been watching the newsgroups as much myself....... When there is
less than 5% of actual good debate/discussion on a topic (no matter how
risque it is) it is not worth my time to wade through the arguments.

Agreed, Ryan. I have found it very effective to either killfile the worst
offenders, or simply skim until the general tone of the post becomes apparent.
Often it's clear from the first line that a post isn;t worth my time.

I have
had a schedule change which doesn't allow me the flexibility to respond like
I used to.

I use AutoAol, which downloads email and newsgroup posts so I can respond at
leisure and save or delete as desired. Doesn't tie up the phone line and
deletions are almost instantaneous.

Than and pursuing Fire Officer 1,2,3 and yet another Associates
and Bachelor degrees, my time is severely limited.

Good luck on your continuing education.

I do miss some of the debates/discussions of the past. Let's see what
topics of policy or procedure we can actually discuss, without fighting
about it.....

How about this one:

"Is it a good idea to have an class of license that does not allow
homebrewing-from-scratch? Canada and the UK have such a class".

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old April 12th 04, 07:38 PM
JJ

N2EY wrote:

Agreed, Ryan. I have found it very effective to either killfile the worst
offenders, or simply skim until the general tone of the post becomes apparent.
Often it's clear from the first line that a post isn;t worth my time.

I find the group much more pleasent and interesting since I started
ignoring posts by lenny the lame, steveie the stupid, and wee willie winkie.

Old April 12th 04, 10:53 PM
Steveo

JJ wrote:
N2EY wrote:

Agreed, Ryan. I have found it very effective to either killfile the
worst offenders, or simply skim until the general tone of the post
becomes apparent. Often it's clear from the first line that a post
isn;t worth my time.

I find the group much more pleasent and interesting since I started
ignoring posts by lenny the lame, steveie the stupid, and wee willie
winkie.

You read every one of my posts, kid dyno-mite.
Old April 12th 04, 11:42 PM
Len Over 21

In article , JJ
writes:

N2EY wrote:

Agreed, Ryan. I have found it very effective to either killfile the worst
offenders, or simply skim until the general tone of the post becomes

apparent.
Often it's clear from the first line that a post isn;t worth my time.

I find the group much more pleasent and interesting since I started
ignoring posts by lenny the lame, steveie the stupid, and wee willie winkie.

No call = No ham.

No JJ = No problem.

LHA / WMD

Extra class - question about the test J999w General 8 April 13th 04 09:57 PM
From the Extra question pool: The dipole David Robbins General 1 January 23rd 04 05:32 PM
From the Extra question pool: The dipole David Robbins Policy 0 January 23rd 04 05:16 PM
Low reenlistment rate charlesb Policy 54 September 18th 03 01:57 PM
1x2 Calls--automatic when upgrading to Extra? Jim Hampton Policy 6 July 15th 03 10:55 PM