Old May 5th 05, 07:56 AM
K4YZ

K=D8HB wrote:
"bb" wrote

The ARRL may not be just about HF
radio using Morse Code, but the Technicians think it is.

I think that's probably a reasonably accurate statement.

But why should they?

Almost every aspect of ARRL policy and practice is focused on
getting MORE people into Amateur Radio and USING those people in their
programs, ie ARES.

There's not one sentence, nay one letter in any ARRL policy or
program that "disses" anyone because of their level of licensure.

And it is what my PBI is intended to address --- putting ARRL back

into
"mainstreet amateur radio" where the Technicians live, and connecting

with them
in the activities that are relevant to them.

ARES isn't? Special Services Clubs?

They've accomodated NCT's at almost every turn...Even most of the
League's long time awards have been adapated or modified in some form
to accomodate them.

I just don't see it. I didn't see it when I was a Novice. Nor
when I was a Tech, General, Advanced or Extra.

The ARRL is a NATIONAL organization. I think they do the best
that they can to help promote Amateur Radio, and if they were to do
anything more for the grass roots level, it would be with getting more
air-time/print in national media.

Several years ago we all got into a turn over how it seems like
there are certain mindsets drawn to Amateur Radio...EMS-types,
experimenters, "gadget freaks" and competitors.

Instead of trying to "recruit" persons from other (most likely
disinterested) demographics, why not just capitalize on the ones that
seem to have a large drawing? EMS, Aviation, "orienteering" and
outdoors types, engineering, etc.

Steve, K4YZ

Old May 5th 05, 02:33 PM
KØHB

"K4YZ" wrote in message
oups.com...

Almost every aspect of ARRL policy and practice is focused on
getting MORE people into Amateur Radio....

My PBI isn't concerned with "getting more people into Amateur Radio".

Instead of trying to "recruit" persons from other (most likely
disinterested) demographics, why not just capitalize on the
ones that seem to have a large drawing?

My PBI has nothing to do with recruiting persons into Amateur Radio.

It deals with a program aimed at putting ARRL back on mainstreet where is was
when over 50% of "1 year Novices" were card carrying ARRL members.

de Hans, K0HB

Old May 5th 05, 03:07 PM
Bill Sohl

"Dee Flint" wrote in message

"Robert L. Giggles (Mrs.)" wrote in message
groups.com...

"KØHB" wrote in message
ink.net...
The growth in numbers of Amateurs over the past decade has been

overwhelmingly
via the Technician license. This segment of the Amateur population does

not seem
highly attracted to ARRL membership, nor affiliate with the "national
association" nature of ARRL.

That's because most new hams can recognize a garden
variety classic New England "mutual admiration society"
of wannabe blue-bloods who's only reason for existence
is to maintain their monuments to the past which nobody
cares about anymore and to keep a magazine going
which is composed of 80% advertising.

The ARRL has fought and continues to fight to protect our spectrum, hardly
the action of a "mutual admiration society". They might be able to do a
better job if some of you non-members would get off YOUR high horses, join
the group, and start working towards what you would like to see them
doing. So long as you stay on the outside, they have no reason to
represent you or your views.

You obviously have not investigated their various classes for all levels
of interest in areas of ham radio activity such as the many emergency
courses, etc. It is all too apparent that you speak from preconceived
notions and haven't bothered to get involved. You simply sit there on the
outside and whine and complain.

You want it to be different? Get in there and do the work to change it.
Oh, that's too hard you say. Then you are just a parasite waiting for
some one else to do the work so you can benefit without having
contributed.

Face it boys. the ARRL blew it BIG TIME when they had
the chance to eliminate the dammed Code for HF way
back in the early 1980's with the "Plain Language" rewrite
of the amateur rules. Today most of the ham fossils who
opposed this are either in their graves or waiting to expire
and we're stuck with an obsolete hobby as a result.

Do a better job of reading up on history. The ARRL had NO chance of
eliminating the code in the 1980s as the US was signatory to an
international treaty that mandated code for HF privileges.

And, for what it is worth the code test will be gone for General
sometime down the road. It isn't a matter of if, it is simply
when at this point. ARRL's proposal recommends ending code
and ONLY retaining a code test for Extra.

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

Old May 5th 05, 05:44 PM
KØHB

wrote

Does definitely NOT work for those olde-tyme
morsemen locked into the standards and
practices of seven decades ago...they're
still scratching their balding heads wondering
why the rest of the radio world gave up on "CW."

Armenian judges gave it a 9.8 on the Olympic Troll-O-Meter,
but they were over-ruled by the umpires in instant replay, who
award it a 2.1.

The Armenian judges lodged a formal protest!

It was sufficiently trollish, of course, but way too obvious.
It was poorly written, poorly executed, and was so incredibly
lame as to lack the true drawing power of a really masterful
troll. Maybe as high as a 2.3 for the sheer stupidity of the
premise, but a 9.8? Never! The Armenian judges tear their
hair out, throw their balalaikas down in dismay, and perform
the traditional Armenian Dismay Chant! They demand a recount!

Regards,

Hans, K0HB
Lord High Keeper of the Troll-O-Meter

0 2 4 6 8 10
\
\
\
\
\
\
TROLL-O-METER

Old May 5th 05, 06:33 PM
Michael Coslo

Where is the PBI at now, Hans?

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old May 5th 05, 06:51 PM
KØHB

"Michael Coslo" wrote

Where is the PBI at now, Hans?

It's here and at QRZ.COM forum for open-comment.

It's in the hands of W5JBP and the Dakota Division elected leadership for
feedback.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old May 5th 05, 11:19 PM

From: "Dee Flint" on Wed,May 4 2005 8:00 pm

"Robert L. Giggles (Mrs.)" wrote in

message
sgroups.com...

"K=D8=88B" wrote in message
ink.net...
The growth in numbers of Amateurs over the past decade has been

overwhelmingly
via the Technician license. This segment of the Amateur population

does not seem
highly attracted to ARRL membership, nor affiliate with the

"national
association" nature of ARRL.

That's because most new hams can recognize a garden
variety classic New England "mutual admiration society"
of wannabe blue-bloods who's only reason for existence
is to maintain their monuments to the past which nobody
cares about anymore and to keep a magazine going
which is composed of 80% advertising.

The ARRL has fought and continues to fight to protect our spectrum,

hardly
the action of a "mutual admiration society".

Tsk, tsk, tsk..."protecting [your] spectrum"...

The 40 meter issue then sounds like the "24 years war"
in "fighting to protect" since it went UNresolved from
1979 to 2003...

Look at 60 meters...ARRL "fought" to get FIVE
CHANNELS?

Dee, you did NOT address the main point: ARRL is NOT
"representative" of the MAJORITY of licensed U.S.
radio amateurs...by anyone's count, including the
demographics published by the ARRL itself.

They might be able to do a
better job if some of you non-members would get off YOUR high horses,

join
the group, and start working towards what you would like to see them

doing.

Oh, my, the LECTURE on How To Behave again. Tsk.

So long as you stay on the outside, they have no reason to represent

you or your views.

As long as the ARRL does LITTLE to attract Technician
class licensees, it will REMAIN the "mutual admiration
society" seen by SO many others.

You obviously have not investigated their various classes for all

levels of
interest in areas of ham radio activity such as the many emergency

courses,
etc.

Tsk, tsk, tsk. YOU "obviously" have not investigated
what the ARRL is NOT doing for the largest group of
licensed U.S. radio amateurs. Why else would there be
such enmity by so many?

Marie, are you saying that eating cake is BETTER for
all than bread? [don't lose your head about that]

It is all too apparent that you speak from preconceived notions and
haven't bothered to get involved.

Tsk, tsk, tsk. My "preconceived notions" are the
result of about 55 years of observation, talking to
many other radio amateurs, seeing/hearing what others
have to say, etc., etc.

There's NOTHING "preconceived" about the MASS opinion
that EXISTS.

You simply sit there on the outside and whine and complain.

Shut them out if it disturbs your royalness. Can't
have you Elitists getting all hot and huffy about
the masses out there.

You want it to be different? Get in there and do the work to change

it.
Oh, that's too hard you say.

Tsk, tsk, tsk. Now you are getting a mite hostile.

ARRL is IN CONTROL of what the ARRL DOES...and, by
all the possible objective observation, the BoD acts
like they are the Elite who Know What Is Good For All
...because that is what the BoD likes.

Then you are just a parasite waiting for some
one else to do the work so you can benefit without having contributed.

Tsk, tsk, tsk. Now you ARE getting hostile!

Ooops, I forgot...the Elite KNOW What Is Good For
Everyone! All should OBEY the Elite...

How does the Elitist position of the ARRL "encourage"
anyone to enter amateur radio? Learn morse code?!?

Dee...I was WORKING IN HF 52 years ago and NEVER had
to know any morse code then, nor in all the years
that followed in my engineering career. In EVERY
other radio service in the USA, government included,
morse code is GOING or was NEVER CONSIDERED for ANY
communications. The ARRL still champions morse code
as the "requirement" for "working below 30 MHz" as
a radio amateur.

Hello? Can you NOT recognize how OUTMODED the notion
of "requiring" morse code testing as a "qualification"
is?

If you can't, then you have NO business of being so
Elitist and Knowing What Is Good For All.

Face it boys. the ARRL blew it BIG TIME when they had
the chance to eliminate the dammed Code for HF way
back in the early 1980's with the "Plain Language" rewrite
of the amateur rules. Today most of the ham fossils who
opposed this are either in their graves or waiting to expire
and we're stuck with an obsolete hobby as a result.

Do a better job of reading up on history.

Dee, YOU "read up on history" and be sure to include
all the recent documents from WRC-03. :-)

The ARRL had NO chance of
eliminating the code in the 1980s as the US was signatory to an
international treaty that mandated code for HF privileges.

That is SUCH crude nonsense that I almost want to use
Hans' method of dealing with it...i.e., "hurling it aside
with great force!"

Hello, Dee, are you with the sentient beings again?
Did you think the revision of S25 (almost entire) was
"done by the ARRL" at Geneva in 2003?!?

Dee, the ARRL got aced out in 2003 because of pressure
mainly from their "buddies" at the IARU and the largely-
extra-class-movers-and-shakers at No Code International.
The ARRL OPPOSED almost ALL the revisions that made S25
MORE modern for the international community of radio
amateurs. The revisions were done by VOTE...of the
INTERNATIONAL radio community.

Back two decades, the ARRL was OPPOSED to CHANGE. They
did LITTLE if anything to effect change. WARCs didn't
bring it up because the ARRL was "fighting" to preserve
the status quo...to stop change anathema to the elders
at the Newington admiration society.

The International Amateur Radio Union finally got tired
of that stick-in-the-mud, stick-it-up-somewhere attitude
of the ARRL and began their OWN lobbying for changes in
S25 about the year 2000. ARRL could have joined with the
IARU to be a part of PROGRESSIVE LEADERSHIP. It did not.
The ARRL continued its opposition for at least three
years into this new millennium. They still can't take
a positive position, remain in the ineffective We Know
What Is Best For All vacillating state.

The ARRL could have taken a position of MODERN LEADER-
SHIP a decade ago. They could have pressured the
administrations to change S25 THEN. They didn't do that.
They haven't done that since. They've only promoted
themselves, their products, and their olde-tyme members.
The olde-tymers are pleased. THEY "know what is good
for all" yet they don't. They don't understand that
such Elitist tunnel-vision viewpoints do NOT attract
newcomers, nor does it do any good for all but the
olde-tymer minority.

Old May 6th 05, 12:14 AM

From: "K=D8=88B" on Thurs,May 5 2005 9:44 am

wrote

Armenian judges gave it a 9.8 on the Olympic Troll-O-Meter,
but they were over-ruled by the umpires in instant replay, who
award it a 2.1.

The Armenian judges lodged a formal protest!

I HURL YOUR "UMPIRES" ASIDE WITH GREAT FORCE...

premise, but a 9.8? Never! The Armenian judges tear their
hair out, throw their balalaikas down in dismay, and perform
the traditional Armenian Dismay Chant! They demand a recount!

CAN YOUR "UMPIRES" COUNT PAST SEVEN?

Or do they need permission to stay up late?

I didn't know you knew ANY Armenians. Lots and lots
of them living here in bordering Glendale, CA. Don't
know of any that have "balalaikas." Do you have a
"balalaika" or are you just pulling your strings?

Get a rag and wipe up all that condescension
collecting on your pipes...makes you look all
drippy...

Lord High Keeper of the Sanity Clauses

Old May 6th 05, 01:30 AM
KØHB

wrote

I HURL YOUR "UMPIRES" ASIDE WITH GREAT FORCE...

Yawn