Old July 1st 05, 10:19 PM

John Smith wrote:
Dee:

The only person talking 300 baud is you,

No.

The FCC says so too.

I told you to throw away that
300 baud modem and get a decent one (or revamp an old phone
modem to your needs.)

On most of the HF/MF amateur bands, amateurs in the USA are limited to
300 baud for the transmission of "data".

Now it might be argued that sending .jpgs is an "image" mode, and is
only allowed in the 'phone subbands, with correspondingly wider
bandwidths. But there's more to it than just hooking a typical computer
modem to an SSB rig.

Let's say some hams find a way to fit, say, 14 kbaud into an SSB
bandwidth with characteristics that will work on the HF ham bands. And
suppose they get FCC to say it's OK and all that. The transmission of a
1 meg .jpg will still take more than a minute with no errorchecking.

Since you didn't even understand that, you certainly won't grasp the
rest...

Try grasping the current regulations, John....

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old July 1st 05, 11:15 PM

From: "John Smith" on Fri 1 Jul 2005 12:25

Dee:

My "simple math" is actually just your "simple mind" and you cannot
tell the difference.

Dee is smart. But, her emotional LOVE of "CW" over-rides her
reasoning ability.

If I send perfect video, encrypted off a DVD you will indeed notice
that it slows, pauses and is not acceptable for broadcast--however, if
you encrypt the sound to mp3 and the video to avi it becomes childs
play for anyone who is technically savvy and results in video and
audio which is magnitudes faster than SSTV.

Get away from these ancient amateurs who have gone blind and ask where
it has "ALREADY BEEN BEING DONE FOR A DECADE!!!"

Actually, FOUR decades. The Bell Systems' video telephone.

There's a lot of its history on the Internet. I can dig up
the URL from an archive CD which has digitization of Bell
Labs documents in it...but, it's no use taking the trouble
because the "CW" LOVERS in here won't have any of it.

This dial-up modem I and hundreds of thousands of others are
using sends/receives (full duplex) 56K rates in a 3 KHz BW.
To follow the "simple arithmetic rules" (from Carson's
series equations), the telephone bandwidth "should be"
about 100 KHz! Obviously it isn't. 100 KHz BW down to fit
in a 3 KHz BW! :-)

MPEG4 compression-expansion for real-time video is quite alive
and well on our Comcast cable digital feed. About 230 TV
channels in the bandwidth (digitally encoded) where we had only
about 60+ in analog form. BTW, that includes the DTV already
broadcast which is also on the same digital cable feed...and
DTV already has over 3:1 compression to fit inside an alloted
6 MHz BW. [more pixels than analog equivalent but an exact
number will bring out those nasty nit-pickers who will midsdirect
the thread into some "never ending story" about compression]

Military small-unit field radios have, for two decades, used
digitized VOICE that fits inside a 3 KHz BW, with or without
encryption. Standard COMSEC, either internal (built-in) or
external as a peripheral unit.

There's lots more examples of digitization and compression,
from license-free FRS toy walkie-talkies to the 2.4 GHz cordless
phones to tens, no hundreds of thousands of WLANs at work and
at home, all cramming lots of data into less bandwidth than
thought possible...carrying with it real-time video from closed
circuit TV cameras and (analog) wide-band music. Hundreds of
texts available at Amazon on the subject.

"CW" LOVERS will have NONE of that. Their snarly tones are like
the old Spark signals...growly and taking up bandwidth equal to
all of 75 meters.

Standing there looking stupid is no way to go through life girl!

There's no accounting for taste when emotionalism over the
narrowbanded amateur "CW" LOVE pushes aside logical reasoning.

None of the "CW" LOVERS in here will have any of it until the
ARRL anoints the subject with a papal Sumner blessing. Amen.

Old July 1st 05, 11:35 PM
Dan/W4NTI

There it is folks, a disgruntled CBer that couldn't learn the code and
failed his ham test.

So much for Lennie the loser.

(of course now he will deny he actually tried to take the test.....well at
least that is how he remembers it).

BWAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Dan/W4NTI

oups.com...
From: "K0HB" on Thurs 30 Jun 2005 17:39

wrote in

Ye gawds Hans, no 115vac until you were 8-9 years old??! That would
have been in the 1958-59 timeframe and REA had just gotten to your
neighborhood then?? WTF . . ?!! Or were you in Guatemala??

We got REA in the summer of 1954 when I was 14 years old. Running water
too.
(I was 8 or 9 when I learned Morse.)

73, de Hans, K0HB

Oh, my, a numbers coincidence.

Gee whiz, in late summer of 1954, Army station ADA started moving
to its new site NW of Tokyo. Former airfield about one by two
miles in size. Running water and everything but the 600 KWe
generators (two always running, two spares) supplied the electric
power. Barracks, mess, etc., in a converted hangar at one corner
of the field. Surrounded by farmers.

Five years later I thought it might be neat to get a ham license
in addition to the Commercial First 'Phone of 1956. Got up to
8 or 9 WPM and wondered what the hell I was wasting all that time
for? Class D CB had arrived in 1958. I was living in the (then)
third-largest city in the USA with plenty of folks to talk to
out of my '53 Austin-Healey sports car.

I'd never "worked CW" (on-off keying radiotelegraphy) in the Big
Leagues of HF communications...and would never be required to do
that again. Why mess with then OLD requirements just to please a
bunch of olde-fahrt radiotelegraphers playing with their hobby
and very much controlling the ARRL?

I'm still living in a big urban area, now the second-largest city
in the USA, have done computer-modem communications for 21 years
(come December), the Internet has been public for 14 years, and
we've got personal cell phones on 1 GHz that fit in a pocket and
have text and image capabilities. Both my PC and my wife's each
have MORE computing power and memory storage than the largest
mainframes of a quarter century ago. The Internet reaches around
the world with NO fading/distortion/outages from the ionosphere.

All these AMATEUR radio whizzers say I "MUST" learn morse code
to pass that (Nobel laureate level?) TEST in order to "show
dedication and committment to the 'amateur community.'" :-)

insert the sound of Bill the Cat making pbthththth sounds

Gotta love these olde-fahrts longing for the "pioneer days of
radio" (when Kode was King) that they will NEVER ever be a
part of... :-)

Old July 1st 05, 11:37 PM
Dan/W4NTI

All that wire on the airfield.....must have been ruff landing those
bi-planes.

Dan/W4NTI

oups.com...
From: "K?B" on Fri 1 Jul 2005 01:47

wrote

We got REA in the summer of 1954 when I was 14 years old. Running water
too.
(I was 8 or 9 when I learned Morse.)

73, de Hans, K0HB

Oh, my, a numbers coincidence.

Gee whiz, in late summer of 1954, Army station ADA started moving
to its new site NW of Tokyo.

At 14 years old I didn't much give a rats ass about the fact that an Army
radio
station was moving to a different spot in Japan. (Come think of it, I
still
don't give a rats ass.) I was much more excited about getting electric
lights
in our farm buildings and home.

I can understand your "not giving" about others. :-)

Frankly, Scarlet, I don't give a damn for young teeners out in
the boonies suddenly getting ELECTRICITY in 1954! How about that?

Too bad you couldn't have tapped into the 300 KWe out of each of
the 16-cylinder marine diesels running generators at Kashiwa in
1954. Would have lit up your life some...

Of course the main room at Kashiwa transmitter building didn't
have but about 8 transmitters in 1954, there would be 43 Big
Ones in there by 1956 and completion of the move. Not to
mention wire antennas all over the airfield, including full
rhombics. 1 KW minimum, 40 KW maximum RF outputs. Not a single
one of them using on-off keying radiotelegraphy. Sunnuvagun!

When one stood at one end and looked down the row to 150 feet or
so in the distance and saw nothing but high power HF transmitters
side by side on each side, it was bound to have an impression.
Then out in the microwave building with four 24-channel microwave
radio relay terminals that were the main link with anyone that HAD
to be kept ON 24/7. [not to mention the old carrier bays]

Perhaps not as much as suddenly getting electricity where one
had nothing but wind-charged batteries but then that's us "city
boy sissies" I'm sure you'd apply. Life must have been
extraordinarily TOUGH way, way out on the farm. You have my
sympathies. Nothing else. Just sympathies. :-)

dot dot

Old July 1st 05, 11:42 PM
Dan/W4NTI

ups.com...
From: on Jul 1, 12:23 pm

wrote:
I thought it might be neat to get a ham license
in addition to the Commercial First 'Phone of 1956. Got up to
8 or 9 WPM and wondered what the hell I was wasting all that time
for?

Thank you for confirming something I have suspected for a long time
now, Len.

What...you've NEVER seen my statement BEFORE? :-)

Do the math. 1959 was how long ago? FORTY-SIX years.

Let's see...in 1959 I was three years from leaving a MAJOR
HF communications complex, a part of ACAN that had existed
since 1942 and had changed its name to STARCOM. Worldwide
network of HF stations...running TTY and Voice...NO "CW."
Big Time in HF.

So, I'm supposed to get into the "cutting edge of amateur
technology" by LEARNING/TESTING FOR RADIOTELEGRAPHY?!?!?

Wow...talk about being BRAIN DEAD in PA!

And now..."you've JUST suspected it?" :-) :-) :-)

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

[to use a message device beloved by your buddie, the TN
Talibanian...who does that frequently]

Class D CB was a year old back in 1959, I had a nice,
conversion-finished Austin-Healey sports car in Greater L.A.
which then had a population of about 6 million and was
considered to be the aerospace capital of the USA doing high-
tech electronics, was seriously considering changing my
major from illustration to engineering...and I was "supposed"
to be REGRESSING TO RADIOTELEGRAPHY in order to show
"dedication and committment to the ham community"?!?!?!?!?

Wow, yeah, I could "get my very own radio station" and get
"my very own callsign" as a radio amateur!!! I was already
a professional in radio-electronics and had spent three full
years doing HF radio communications in the military. Ptui.
I went to Henry Radio in L.A. and bought a Johnson Viking
Messenger CB that year. Worked great in the aluminum-body
Austin-Healey. Got my "very own callsign" (11W3725)...
BWAHAHAHAH...as if that 'meant' anything.

GAVE UP any thought of "showing dedication and committment
to some amateur community" by learning RADIOTELEGRAPHY as
"cutting-edge technology" in 1959. I should learn morse
just to "talk to the rest of the world?" Been there, done
that 24/7 already.

...and you "just suspected it!" Just HOW LONG does it take
to close the synapses in your mind, whiz kid?

By the way, how many children have you parented?

Poor Lennie the loser is a real trip. Military comms and CB radio. Then
compares it to ham radio. Bottom line, the only thing they have in common
is the fact they operate on HF radio....period.

Bottom line is he couldn't pass the CW test, and gave up. Now we get to
listen to him brag about shoving a broom around a transmitter site while a
lower ranked enlisted man. BIG DEAL.

Dan/W4NTI

Old July 1st 05, 11:46 PM
Mike Coslo

John Smith wrote:
Mike:

Yes, that quite well proves you don't even have a clue where to begin
and what would be a practical method to accomplish it...

... don't feel alone, these ancient brain deads here are in the same
boat and have ran off and ****ed off all those who can do such
things...

... at first I just thought you guys were probably not interested in
video conferance by radio--now I find out you are simply unable and
even lack the basic concept of how it is done!

Elucidate! I wait.

- Mike KB3EIA -
Old July 1st 05, 11:47 PM
Mike Coslo

John Smith wrote:
Dee:

The only person talking 300 baud is you, I told you to throw away that
300 baud modem and get a decent one (or revamp an old phone modem to
your needs.)

Since you didn't even understand that, you certainly won't grasp the
rest...

Elucidate! Tell us the manner in which we can do it.

- Mike KB3EIA -
Old July 1st 05, 11:51 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"Ginger Raveir" wrote in message

Wake up and smell the coffee. Ham radio is and has been for many
years, a dead and dying hobby, where today old white men form the
core of the hobby.

Thats it....bring in the "Ham Radio is a racist organization".

It isn't our fault more folks other than "white" dont join up. I have seen
no obstructions put up to keep them out. So who is at fault here?

Right.

Dan/W4NTI

Old July 1st 05, 11:55 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"Kim" wrote in message
m...
"Dan/W4NTI" wrote in message
ink.net...

Yes she did....then proceeded to show us how ignorant she was/is.

Proof positive of the dumbing down of Amateur Radio....IMHO.

Dan/W4NTI

And, you're proof positive of what alcohol can do to a 1/2 way decent
mind.

Kim W5TIT

Thats funny Kim.......experience perhaps?

Dan/W4NTI