Old June 30th 05, 03:01 AM
ham radio truth

"Michael Coslo" wrote in message
What is more important:

1. Having a license that allows HF access.

2. Not having to learn Morse code.

IOW, is standing on principle, and refusing to learn Morse code a better
thing than learning it to get the priveliges?

- Mike KB3EIA -

YES to CW or NO to CW makes no difference whatsoever Mike.
Not at this stage of the game. Ham radio is a dying hobby, period.

The average age of the USA ham operator is a staggering 64 Years.
There are FIVE TIMES more hams dying off per month than there
are new hams comming into the hobby and license renewals combined.

80% of young people 2-day have text messaging cellphones.
Also there's AOL Instant Messenger or similar Chatroom software
plus Apple IPOD Podcasting and similar technology. (just wait till
the wireless IPOD hits around October 2005 just in time for xmas!)

What young person, apart from the occasional geek, would want to
invest time and money in archaic, obsolete, analog technology based
ham radio in 2005? Oh yes there will be a few, but for the most part
today's young people wouldn't know ham radio from CB and could
not care less either.

Tune across HF any evening and tell me how many young people
you hear on SSB. Most of the guys I hear on 75 Meters are long
retired and most callsigns I recall from just 10 Years ago are either
in the local nursing home or 6 feet under the earth.

Read the handwriting boys. At this rate Ham Radio will be dead
by 2030.

Old June 30th 05, 03:35 AM
Dee Flint

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
an_old_friend wrote:

Michael Coslo wrote:

What is more important:

1. Having a license that allows HF access.

2. Not having to learn Morse code.

YMMV

I do not face that choice at all Itried for years to learn

Was there a specific problem? I had a lot of trouble with Tinnitus, and
getting hung up on one letter, and letting the rest of the message go by
("flying behind the plane")

- Mike KB3EIA -

As I have mentioned before, my ex had a 70% hearing loss in each ear and
tinnitus in both ears. Yet he passed the code. He just cranked the volume
up and used headphones. If he can do it, anyone can.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old June 30th 05, 03:38 AM
Dee Flint

"mopathetic didn't camp at Dayton! CHICKEN BOY"
wrote in message
exactly

but only a couple of guys here even have a clue

that is a problem

"ham radio truth" wrote in message
groups.com...

[...]

Well most of the hams I know, including myself, have pretty good odds of
still being alive and kicking in 2030.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old June 30th 05, 03:45 AM
an_old_friend

Mike Coslo wrote:
an_old_friend wrote:

Michael Coslo wrote:

What is more important:

1. Having a license that allows HF access.

2. Not having to learn Morse code.

YMMV

I do not face that choice at all Itried for years to learn

Was there a specific problem? I had a lot of trouble with Tinnitus, and
getting hung up on one letter, and letting the rest of the message go by
("flying behind the plane")

Yes there was and remains a problem, 2 of them One Dyslexia, theother
dyslexiod aphasia. they affect at basic level my use of letters and
langauge. Morse given me chance to blow each letter

Ole Stevie et all like to make fun of me for it

The only good thing I can say for Morse was that trying to learn it
gave a clue to one of the pople that admistered a code test who was
able to guess at and begin the dianostic process at an earlier than was
common then

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old June 30th 05, 03:46 AM
an_old_friend

Dee Flint wrote:
"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
an_old_friend wrote:

Michael Coslo wrote:

What is more important:

1. Having a license that allows HF access.

2. Not having to learn Morse code.

YMMV

I do not face that choice at all Itried for years to learn

Was there a specific problem? I had a lot of trouble with Tinnitus, and
getting hung up on one letter, and letting the rest of the message go by
("flying behind the plane")

- Mike KB3EIA -

As I have mentioned before, my ex had a 70% hearing loss in each ear and
tinnitus in both ears. Yet he passed the code. He just cranked the volume
up and used headphones. If he can do it, anyone can.

sorry yuo simply don't know what you are taking about

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old June 30th 05, 03:55 AM
bb

Michael Coslo wrote:
What is more important:

1. Having a license that allows HF access.

2. Not having to learn Morse code.

IOW, is standing on principle, and refusing to learn Morse code a better
thing than learning it to get the priveliges?

- Mike KB3EIA -

Some choices! Is that anything like having sex with the boss and
having a job, or not having a job? ;^)

Old June 30th 05, 04:08 AM
Cmd Buzz Corey

KØHB wrote:
"Cmd Buzz Corey" wrote

Don't believe Zenith ever made a 6V farm 'cathedral' style radio. The model
250 had four bands, went to 18Mc, but was 110VAC. They made a few 'tombstone'
style 6V farm sets with several sw bands.

The nearest 110VAC was several miles away where the REA lines stopped, so I can
assure you it was a 6V radio. (Bank of several old 6V auto batteries in
parallel in the basement, kept topped off by a windcharger atop the barn.)
"Catherdral" may be the wrong term, but the radio was a table-top wood cabinet
affair with a pointed round top. Large round dial in the center, with the
prominent Zenith "Z" designed into the pointer. Don't remember the band layout,
but my recollection is that it went to at least 13 Mc (maybe higher). 4, 8, and
12 Mc marine bands were my favorites, and may have influenced my decision to go
to sea as a Navy radioman.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Just curious, what did you use for a BFO to copy Morse?

Old June 30th 05, 06:37 AM
Cmd Buzz Corey

KØHB wrote:
"Cmd Buzz Corey" wrote

Just curious, what did you use for a BFO to copy Morse?

Hey, I was a pre-teen kid, not a ham. Didn't know WTF was a BFO, but if you
held a finger on the metal skin of the third tube from the right in back the
Morse would be heard as a sort of buzzy hum. Worked for me and my brother.

73, de Hans, K0HB

LOL, where there is a will there is someone who come up with something.