Old June 29th 05, 04:53 PM
an_old_friend

Michael Coslo wrote:
What is more important:

1. Having a license that allows HF access.

2. Not having to learn Morse code.

YMMV

I do not face that choice at all Itried for years to learn

IOW, is standing on principle, and refusing to learn Morse code a better
thing than learning it to get the priveliges?

Again YMMV I certianly understand those that can easily choose to learn
it are likely better off if they do, esp if they also continue to argue
against code testing

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old June 30th 05, 02:53 AM
Mike Coslo

an_old_friend wrote:

Michael Coslo wrote:

What is more important:

1. Having a license that allows HF access.

2. Not having to learn Morse code.

YMMV

I do not face that choice at all Itried for years to learn

Was there a specific problem? I had a lot of trouble with Tinnitus, and
getting hung up on one letter, and letting the rest of the message go by
("flying behind the plane")

- Mike KB3EIA -
Old June 30th 05, 03:35 AM
Dee Flint

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
an_old_friend wrote:

Michael Coslo wrote:

What is more important:

1. Having a license that allows HF access.

2. Not having to learn Morse code.

YMMV

I do not face that choice at all Itried for years to learn

Was there a specific problem? I had a lot of trouble with Tinnitus, and
getting hung up on one letter, and letting the rest of the message go by
("flying behind the plane")

- Mike KB3EIA -

As I have mentioned before, my ex had a 70% hearing loss in each ear and
tinnitus in both ears. Yet he passed the code. He just cranked the volume
up and used headphones. If he can do it, anyone can.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old June 30th 05, 03:46 AM
an_old_friend

Dee Flint wrote:
"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
an_old_friend wrote:

Michael Coslo wrote:

What is more important:

1. Having a license that allows HF access.

2. Not having to learn Morse code.

YMMV

I do not face that choice at all Itried for years to learn

Was there a specific problem? I had a lot of trouble with Tinnitus, and
getting hung up on one letter, and letting the rest of the message go by
("flying behind the plane")

- Mike KB3EIA -

As I have mentioned before, my ex had a 70% hearing loss in each ear and
tinnitus in both ears. Yet he passed the code. He just cranked the volume
up and used headphones. If he can do it, anyone can.

sorry yuo simply don't know what you are taking about

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old June 30th 05, 11:14 PM
Dee Flint

"an_old_friend" wrote in message
oups.com...

Dee Flint wrote:
"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
an_old_friend wrote:

Michael Coslo wrote:

What is more important:

1. Having a license that allows HF access.

2. Not having to learn Morse code.

YMMV

I do not face that choice at all Itried for years to learn

Was there a specific problem? I had a lot of trouble with Tinnitus, and
getting hung up on one letter, and letting the rest of the message go
by
("flying behind the plane")

- Mike KB3EIA -

As I have mentioned before, my ex had a 70% hearing loss in each ear and
tinnitus in both ears. Yet he passed the code. He just cranked the
volume
up and used headphones. If he can do it, anyone can.

sorry yuo simply don't know what you are taking about

You have no data on what to base such an assessment of degree of knowledge I
may or may not have.
Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old June 30th 05, 01:13 PM
Michael Coslo

Dee Flint wrote:

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

an_old_friend wrote:

Michael Coslo wrote:

What is more important:

1. Having a license that allows HF access.

2. Not having to learn Morse code.

YMMV

I do not face that choice at all Itried for years to learn

Was there a specific problem? I had a lot of trouble with Tinnitus, and
getting hung up on one letter, and letting the rest of the message go by
("flying behind the plane")

- Mike KB3EIA -

As I have mentioned before, my ex had a 70% hearing loss in each ear and
tinnitus in both ears. Yet he passed the code. He just cranked the volume
up and used headphones. If he can do it, anyone can.

I won't deny it can be done - obviously, since my problems are similar.
I doubt I'll ever be proficient at Morse though. To get an idea of what
it is like for me, imagine concentrating as hard as you can on
something. Can I do it? Sure. But not for extended periods.

Certainly turning up the headphones helps, but the levels I use are
fatiguing, and they sometimes annoy the other ops.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old June 30th 05, 11:21 PM
Dee Flint

"Michael Coslo" wrote in message
Dee Flint wrote:

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

an_old_friend wrote:

Michael Coslo wrote:

[...]

I understand that completely. If my ex was practicing code without the
headphones, I had to leave not only the room, but that floor of the house.
If he was using headphones, I could hear it more than well enough to copy
his practice sessions. The point is that he passed the test.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old July 1st 05, 12:37 AM
Dan/W4NTI

Dee Flint wrote:

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

an_old_friend wrote:

Michael Coslo wrote:

[...]

Exactly Dee.....these anti-code dunderheads don't get it. It is mostly a
matter of dedication and persistence to learn Morse. They obviously have
neither.

Dan/W4NTI

Old July 1st 05, 01:56 AM
an_old_friend

Dee Flint wrote:

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

an_old_friend wrote:

Michael Coslo wrote:

[...]

No it is matter of law, by what power does the FCC have to continue
this Morse Code Welfare program. Nothing in the constitution, and
nothing anymore in the the treaty. and no one has shown how any
provision of the sonstitution allows the FCC to without access to hf
based on the skill in the mode. The FCC has ruled in the past that it
does not have a case to make.

But ultimately one thing many of them do lack is desire, desire to
learn Morse is a requirement it is indeed one of the most vital
requirement to learn the mode.

Why don't they have this desire? I don't know. but maybe you should
look to seeling the mode better, if you think it is important

Dan/W4NTI

Old July 1st 05, 12:47 AM
Mike Coslo

Dee Flint wrote:

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

an_old_friend wrote:

Michael Coslo wrote:

[...]

Of course. Passing the test is the main point. My XYL-who has very,
very, good hearing, can actually listen to the television by the
residual sound coming out of my headphones! Problem is it is a little
biased toward the high frequencies that way. Most of the time we
compromise and turn on the closed captioning.

The acuteness of her hearing is such is that she can hear soap bubbles
in the dishwater "popping" in the living room, which is about thirty
feet from the kitchen.And I cannot hear them under any circumstances. We
both feel bad for each other! 8^)

- Mike KB3EIA -

- Mike KB3EIA -