Old June 29th 05, 11:34 PM

From: on Jun 29, 4:30 pm

Michael Coslo wrote:
What is more important:

1. Having a license that allows HF access.

2. Not having to learn Morse code.

IOW, is standing on principle, and refusing to learn Morse code a better
thing than learning it to get the priveliges?

Waiting for the code test to go away to get HF privs kinda reminds me
of my old uncle who until the day he passed away ten or so years ago
was still waiting for his Pennsylvania Railroad stock go back up and
he'd make a wad.

Poor unc...must have listened to his nephew too much. :-)

Tsk, I was ON HF 52 years ago and was still ON HF a year ago
without ever having to know/test for morse code. Legal.
Just not in the MF-HF amateur bands, not even on CB. :-)

"Not in the HF-MF amateur bands" is MOST of the HF-MF spectrum.

Tsk. All you morseodists think that morsemanship is a "love-hate"
condition? Like black versus white? If one doesn't DO it, one
"hates it?" Not so.

You morseodists ought to listen to yourselves sometime. You
prattle on and on and on and on and on about the glory and
majesty of morsemanship and how it is the epitome of all amateur
skills and "all should know this basic thing" as if it were true.
AS IF.

Ain't true, senior. Just rationalizing bull**** or some vestige
of brainwashing soap scum left on your collective psyches by
older olde-fahrts who probably got their "ham" licenses back
when "ham" was a not-nice word from the radio pros. Tsk, tsk.

Would you say that tired old cliche' about "learning morse will
show your dedication and committment to the amateur community?"
I hope not, because that is a tired old cowpatty phrase left
over from before WW2. Who is this "amateur community" that hams
"must" show something to? A bunch of self-glorified, self-promoted
raddio kopps? What's their mailing address? Is it someplace in
Newington?

Now, if morsemanship were SO good in radio, I would have expected
at least one OTHER radio service to retain it as their prime
communications mode. NONE did. How about that?

If morsemanship were SO good for radio, I'd have expected to see
hundreds of thousands of hobbyists flocking to code classes and
beeping up a storm. Maybe picketing someplace in favor of morse?
Hasn't been so. Without Test Element 1 for the below-30-MHz
privilege license...and perhaps some olde-fahrts from long-ago
military radio...there hasn't been any groundswell of Getting
Morsemanship. How about that?

So, because all you PCTA extras try to make out like radio experts
BECAUSE of passing a 20 WPM test, you are wanting Love and Affection
and Respect for being sooooo mighty? Tsk. You are looking for
"love"
in all the wrong places. Poor babies, unloved and you think all who
don't love morsemanship is "hate?" You guys are as whacked out as
the Tennessee Talibanian.

Remember, "Morse code gets through when everything else will." -
Burke

Old June 30th 05, 12:17 AM
John Smith

Learn the code-get the license-forget cw and lobby to ditch the damn
ancient waste of time...

Join NCI No-Code International.
Write your congressman and complain public funds are supporting only a
handful of code using radio hobbyists!

Complain, complain, complain...

John

wrote in message
oups.com...

Michael Coslo wrote:
What is more important:

1. Having a license that allows HF access.

2. Not having to learn Morse code.

IOW, is standing on principle, and refusing to learn Morse code a
better
thing than learning it to get the priveliges?

Waiting for the code test to go away to get HF privs kinda reminds
me
of my old uncle who until the day he passed away ten or so years ago
was still waiting for his Pennsylvania Railroad stock go back up and
he'd make a wad.

- Mike KB3EIA -

w3rv

Old June 30th 05, 12:29 AM
Dan/W4NTI

"KØHB" wrote in message
link.net...

"Michael Coslo" wrote

IOW, is standing on principle, and refusing to learn Morse code a better
thing than learning it to get the priveliges?

Mike,

Maybe I'm disqualified from answering the question, not being a "Morse
code Hater", but humor me.

I knew Morse code for several years before I was interested in becoming an
Amateur Radio licensee....

....but if I hadn't known it I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't have gone to
the trouble to learn it just to get an Amateur Radio license.

73, de Hans, K0HB
FISTS # 7419

Gee.....now I know what MY problem is.....I heard of ham radio. Found out
the requirements to get a license. Studied and passed the requirements.

Thanks for the insight Hans.

Dan/W4NTI

Old June 30th 05, 12:29 AM
Dan/W4NTI

Translation of Lennies latest rant;

I really wanted a ham ticket. But I wasn't coordinated enough to walk and
chew gum at the same time. That's why I was talking on HF without a "ham"
license.

I dispatched taxi cabs on the old HF links used before FM was discovered.
Had to do something to supplement my meager Army pay you know.

My inability to walk and chew caused me to be unable to learn Morse Code.
So I hate anyone that could/can.

Please feel sorry for me.

Lennie the LOSER

ups.com...

Old June 30th 05, 12:31 AM
Dan/W4NTI

"KØHB" wrote in message
nk.net...

wrote

I don't believe one bit of it.

Gospel truth!

Learned Morse off the old 6V farm radio (a "cathedral" style Zenith with 5
or 6 bands --- we didn't get REA until I was in high school) at about age
8 or 9. Wanted to know what all those beeps and boops were about on what
turned out to be the 8 and 12 MC marine bands. Fascinating stuff for a
kid thousands of miles from any ocean.

Ham radio interest came much later, introduced by my roomate as a college
freshman.

73, de Hans, K0HB

OH OH.......I did the same thing. But with my uncles Zenith when we went to
his house for Italian chow.

Dan/W4NTI

Old June 30th 05, 12:53 AM

From: on Jun 29, 6:02 pm

K=D8=88B wrote:
"Michael Coslo" wrote

IOW, is standing on principle, and refusing to learn Morse code a bett=

er thing
than learning it to get the priveliges?

Mike,

Maybe I'm disqualified from answering the question, not being a "Morse c=

ode
Hater", but humor me.

I knew Morse code for several years before I was interested in becoming =

an
Amateur Radio licensee....

....but if I hadn't known it I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't have gone t=

o the
trouble to learn it just to get an Amateur Radio license.

Knock it off Chief ya bloddy TROLL, I don't believe one bit of it.

73, de Hans, K0HB
FISTS # 7419

w3rv

Knock it off yourself, PA Tuff Guy.

As to "TROLL," the Coslonaut started this thread with the emotional
"ignition troll" designed to inflame a polarized subject.

As to "believe-ability" Kellie, MANY of your tales of the souse
pacific in here leave a great deal of DOUBT as to their veracity.

Oh, and watch your comportment in here. Telling someone to "knock
it
off" is the same as telling them to "shut up." Jimmie Noserve no
like
that and will mount the pulpit and go into another Sermon on the
Antenna Mount against all who tell others to "shut up."

"Morse code gets through when everything else will." - B. Burke

Old June 30th 05, 02:49 AM
Mike Coslo

Bill Sohl wrote:
Mike,

First let me state again for the record, the issue for myself
and for No Code (test) International is morse code TEST
opposition...not any "hatrid" of hams learning and using morse.

With that clarification, my answer to your question is... IMHO,
if anyone wants HF access, they should learn morse now to get
their General rather than wait for any FCC changes.

Okay Bill, that is an answer that makes good sense to me.

- Mike KB3EIA -
Old June 30th 05, 02:51 AM
Mike Coslo

KØHB wrote:
"Michael Coslo" wrote

IOW, is standing on principle, and refusing to learn Morse code a better thing
than learning it to get the priveliges?

Mike,

Maybe I'm disqualified from answering the question, not being a "Morse code
Hater", but humor me.

It's okay - All are welcome here....

I knew Morse code for several years before I was interested in becoming an
Amateur Radio licensee....

....but if I hadn't known it I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't have gone to the
trouble to learn it just to get an Amateur Radio license.

73, de Hans, K0HB
FISTS # 7419

Interesting, Hans! Thanks for the honest response. You would have taken
up another hobby then, I suppose.

- Mike KB3EIA -
Old June 30th 05, 02:53 AM
Mike Coslo

an_old_friend wrote:

Michael Coslo wrote:

What is more important:

1. Having a license that allows HF access.

2. Not having to learn Morse code.

YMMV

I do not face that choice at all Itried for years to learn

Was there a specific problem? I had a lot of trouble with Tinnitus, and
getting hung up on one letter, and letting the rest of the message go by
("flying behind the plane")

- Mike KB3EIA -