Old September 30th 07, 10:01 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default HD radio won't just go away.

There is no such place name in California as Ventura.I know what the
place name is, but I done forgot it at the moment.Telamon, tell all them
cutesy pie gals old hansom Larry over here in Mississippi Loves them.
cuhulin

Old September 30th 07, 10:07 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

Streaming is not DX. Also, where do you think these rural listeners are
going to get broadband internet access that would allow them to listen to
these streams? Ain't gonna happen, because nobody is supplying broadband
outside of cities.

It's happening. WiMax.

Try connecting one of those set-top boxes to your portable TV at the
beach, or out camping.. I am not happy (nor is anyone else in the
situation) with having a relatively expensive pocket portable TV obsoleted
and useless.

Truly, how many people use portable TVs? Most portable TV viewing is on
cellular phones, the new iPod, etc.

Most young people I know don't listen to radio at all. It's not in their
line of thinking. They listen to their mp3 players when they listen at
all. They couldn't care less about radio, and adding more stations won't
change that. Besides, have you checked out what kids listen to now?
Almost 100% rap/hiphop/urban. They don't want choice... they want
conformity (as youth always have.. not with the adult world, but among
their peers).

There you go again. There are various kinds or blends of hip hop and
rhythmic CHR. Some markets have two or three stations in the broad genre,
because it has variants, and the proponents of one kind don't like the
other.

Young people (12-24) listen to all kinds of things, and that group is
definitely not composed of sheeple....

Using diverse New York, the top radio stations a

WHTZ CHR (what used to be Top 40)
WWPR Hip Hop mostly Black appeal
WQHT Hip Hop, mostly Hispanic appeal
WCAA Reggaeton (Latin rhythmic) and tropical
WSKQ Latin Tropical
WBLS R&B / Urban
WKTU Rhythmic / light dance
WPAT Spanish AC
WLTW Soft AC
WQBU Regional Mexican
WRKS Urban
WWFS Hot AC
WAXQ Rock

So you can not say that all listen to urban or hip hop stations... not even
30% of the listening by 12-24 in NY is to such stations.

Old September 30th 07, 11:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Brenda Ann wrote:

"

Streaming is not DX. Also, where do you think these rural listeners are
going to get broadband internet access that would allow them to listen to
these streams? Ain't gonna happen, because nobody is supplying broadband
outside of cities. (hint: satellite internet doesn't handle streaming
audio for beans, since the backhaul is still via telephone modem, and the
lag doesn't allow for enough FEC... )

Can you explain "backhaul is still via telephone modem"?
Old September 30th 07, 11:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sep 30, 4:36 pm, "Brenda Ann" wrote:
"SFTV_troy" wrote in message

oups.com...

Yes true. By the way, DX isn't dead. It moved to the internet, where
you can hear stations as far away as London, Russia, Australia, et
cetera. I hear more distant stations now than I ever did as a
teenager.

some larger (orphaning millions of listeners that don't live inside city
grade contours of broadcast stations, and lose their ability to receive
stations
that they were previously easily able to receive)

The analog FM is still there. So too are the websites, so rural
listeners can stream them off the internet. Heck, I listen to
stations in my hometown, and I'm currently 1000 miles away, just via
streaming.

Streaming is not DX. Also, where do you think these rural listeners are
going to get broadband internet access that would allow them to listen to
these streams? Ain't gonna happen, because nobody is supplying broadband
outside of cities. (hint: satellite internet doesn't handle streaming audio
for beans, since the backhaul is still via telephone modem, and the lag
doesn't allow for enough FEC... )

to larger still (the obsoleting of
literally hundred of millions (possibly even billions) of
currently useful devices (analog TV's (especially portables),
analog radios, turntables, cassette decks, ad inf.).

Yes. Just like when we abandoned horse-drawn carriages, steam
engines, and riverboats. It's called progress... moving from old
technologies to new technologies. Movign from slow or inefficient
technologies to faster, economical technologies.

BTW analog TVs are not dead. I've got a digital tuner attached to
mine, which means the set will die a natural death of old age. It's
not been wasted.

Those things were not abandoned wholesale or all at once. They were phased
out by attrition, nobody forced anyone to buy a horseless carriage. Plus,
there are still working steamboats and horse drawn carriages in use today.

Try connecting one of those set-top boxes to your portable TV at the beach,
or out camping.. I am not happy (nor is anyone else in the situation) with
having a relatively expensive pocket portable TV obsoleted and useless.

And has anyone considered the long term
ecological repercussions of having to dispose
of all these millions of now useless devices?

Trivial compared to the amount of trash generated from food
packaging. By volume I'd estimate a thrown-away VCR or Cassette
player is less than 1% the volume generated by food boxes, plastic
wrap, and containers.

Digital radio is an answer to a problem that doesn't exist,
and is/will create(ing) more problems than it solves.

Actually there is a problem. Young adults and teens are demanding
more variety, and analog radio doesn't have room to grow to meet that
demand (no room to add stations).

Most young people I know don't listen to radio at all. It's not in their
line of thinking. They listen to their mp3 players when they listen at all.
They couldn't care less about radio, and adding more stations won't change
that. Besides, have you checked out what kids listen to now? Almost 100%
rap/hiphop/urban. They don't want choice... they want conformity (as youth
always have.. not with the adult world, but among their peers).- Hide quoted text -

Streaming audio certainly isn't DX, but I fully support Wimax and
internet radio because (1) they're going send HD radio into the
dustbin and (2) they don't destroy a huge swath of spectrum. Perhaps
after Wimax results in the commercial death of HD radio we'll get to
see something truly new and truly interesting pop up on MW.

Old September 30th 07, 11:57 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Steve" wrote in message
ups.com...
Streaming audio certainly isn't DX, but I fully support Wimax and
internet radio because (1) they're going send HD radio into the
dustbin and (2) they don't destroy a huge swath of spectrum. Perhaps
after Wimax results in the commercial death of HD radio we'll get to
see something truly new and truly interesting pop up on MW.

At that point, there will not be AM... the spectrum will be used for
something important, like radio controlled plastic cars from Radio Shack.

Old October 1st 07, 12:14 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

David Eduardo wrote:

"Steve" wrote in message
ups.com...
Streaming audio certainly isn't DX, but I fully support Wimax and
internet radio because (1) they're going send HD radio into the
dustbin and (2) they don't destroy a huge swath of spectrum. Perhaps
after Wimax results in the commercial death of HD radio we'll get to
see something truly new and truly interesting pop up on MW.

At that point, there will not be AM... the spectrum will be used for
something important, like radio controlled plastic cars from Radio Shack.

Controlled by pathological fake Hispanics such as yourself?

Old October 1st 07, 12:21 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Sep 30, 11:19 am, craigm wrote:
SFTV_troy wrote:
Brenda Ann wrote:

some larger (orphaning millions of listeners that don't live inside city
grade contours of broadcast stations, and lose their ability to receive
stations that they were previously easily able to receive)

The analog FM is still there. So too are the websites, so rural
listeners can stream them off the internet. Heck, I listen to
stations in my hometown, and I'm currently 1000 miles away, just via
streaming.

Are you assuming rural America has high speed internet? I live 4 miles
outside city limits and there is no DSL and no cable internet. Do you think
one can adequately stream a decent internet feed over a 28k modem
connection?

CraigM,

Sorry but the Urban Techno-Geek {SFTV}
can not hear the Voice of Rural Reality.

~ RHF
Old October 1st 07, 12:21 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Brenda Ann wrote:
"SFTV_troy"

The analog FM is still there. So too are the websites, so rural
listeners can stream them off the internet. Heck, I listen to
stations in my hometown, and I'm currently 1000 miles away, just via
streaming.

Streaming is not DX. ...

Yes it is. It's listening to a station from a Distant location.

Also, where do you think these rural listeners are
going to get broadband internet access that would
allow them to listen to these streams?

I use my phone line when I'm at home.

BTW analog TVs are not dead. I've got a digital tuner attached to
mine, which means the set will die a natural death of old age. It's
not been wasted.

Try connecting one of those set-top boxes to your portable TV at the beach,
or out camping.. I am not happy (nor is anyone else in the situation) with
having a relatively expensive pocket portable TV obsoleted and useless.

Yeah. Things were better during the 50s. I wish we could reverse
progress and go back to the blurry, barely-visible black-n-white.
And no FM.

/end sarcasm

I sold my portable on ebay. I hadn't used it for ten years, and so
saw no reason to keep it. I kept the 2nd one for watching analog
cable upstairs, and thus no need for a D-to-A converter box.