Old December 2nd 03, 04:25 AM
Jerry Oxendine

wrote in message ...
What I read into this thread is there are people in our FREE country
that have a serious need to control other people. Those people like
another poster said are classified as HOA Cops.

When it comes to controlling them they revolt.

What is an AAA zoned area?

I live in a community where the county put in zoning laws many years ago
so the members of the HOA decided to turn over our roads to the county
for maintenance, dissolve the HOA entirely. We figured why pay dues for
road upkeep and some over zealous HOA officer/member who wants to take
his/our neighbor to court for stupid things. We already pay taxes for
road up keep but the county would not enter our plan because it was
considered private property. The only county services we had where
police, fire, ambulance. Now things are going much better. We have all
the services we where paying for but didn't receive before, the HOA Cops
are gone forever and the home owners seem to getting along much better.
There are no junk cars sitting around, no one painted their house bright
pink or any other crazy color, the grass in the yards are trimmed nice,
in fact nothing has changed in that respect. There are two 25 foot
towers now, one with a small beam the other a vertical in the plan, one
is mine. Both are hams and both are involved in emergency communications
during major storms. The neighbors call or stop and get weather updates
so they can make the necessary plans. Not one person has complained
about either of the towers, not one.

By the way, the HOA ex-official moved out about 6 months after the
county took over. He found out this is America, the land of the free.
Factually speaking, his neighbors refused to have anything to do with
him because of his over powering attitude. His friends soon followed him
down the road.

God Bless our "FREE" America.

Uncle Peter wrote:

I don't know where you live, but here we have zoning laws that control
much of the issues you are concerned about; and most towns have
enacted nusiance ordinances to handle less severe problems, such
as uncut grass, etc. BTW, I live in a AAA zoned area, and the ham
tower was not an issue. I kept in at the tree line, in the middle of
the property. Out of sight. Also, at one time I had three towers near
the house. The house next door was sold before it hit the market for
the full asking price.

Pete

Basically speaking, it is the true reason I live where I do. I have a
problem being told what I can do or when I can do it on my own property. It
doesn't mean I am disagreeable, it just means that I do believe in freedom
and the right to have and hold property as one sees fit--
within reason, of course. I believe that most people will
take care of their property without coaxing. I also believe one must choose
the neighborhood carefully and that can
be judged by the surrounding houses. In better neighbor-
hoods, one simply doesn't see pink/black houses or bright
red houses. I do NOT believe in covenants, and I avoid them. It's not a
problem since I have lived in the same house for 17 years and I mow the
grass, paint (well I
put on siding some time ago) and recently paved the driveway. Yes, I have a
70 foot tower and a VHF beam.
The dipoles have long blended in with the trees so you have to be looking
for them. I get along with the neighbors as well.

Now, if a new neighbor comes along after all these 17 years telling me I
"gotta move them antennas", I would have to reply "By whom and whose army".

Jerry

Old December 2nd 03, 05:39 AM
WShoots1

Some hams have beat restrictions by using a vertical antenna as a flag pole.

Bill, K5BY
Old December 2nd 03, 10:13 AM
Brenda Ann

"Jerry Oxendine" wrote in message
snippage

Of course, the solution is NOT to move into one of those
HOAs with the blue-haired lady telling what color to paint
your shutters. Once you do, you are stuck. Kinda like those folks that
move in next to an AIRPORT and then
expect to get PAID because of the noise. I have no sympathy for them. I
choose NOT to live in such a place.

When I lived in Coeur d' Alene a few years ago, there were the beginnings
of a fight between homeowners (not aware of whether or not it was an HOA or
not) and radio station KGA in Spokane.

When KGA went on the air something close to 70 years ago, it's transmitter
site was miles from town, and in the middle of a very rural area. Well, now
the area has built up, and the homeowners there are trying to force KGA to
move it's transmitter site and towers. This is not a small undertaking,
since broadcast stations are very restricted as to the areas that they can
place these complicated multi-tower systems, and very strict directional
patterns.

For me, I don't feel a bit sorry for those people, they knew there was a
50,000 watt radio station there when they started moving in. So did the
developers. KGA should not be forced to move because of some people's
ignorance or short-sightedness.

Old December 2nd 03, 03:07 PM
Cecil Moore

Brenda Ann wrote:
For me, I don't feel a bit sorry for those people, they knew there was a
50,000 watt radio station there when they started moving in. So did the
developers. KGA should not be forced to move because of some people's
ignorance or short-sightedness.

How about the "greatest good for the greatest number"? :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old December 2nd 03, 03:15 PM
Keyboard In The Wilderness

Au Contraire -- a ham here who had an antenna up for years was told that the
HOA voted it an eyesore and he was to take it down --He pleaded
"Grandfathering" and a long legal battle ensued and he lost. The CC&R was
not on antennas -- but on an "obnoxious structure"

--
73 From The Wilderness Keyboard
"Jerry Oxendine" wrote in message

"Keyboard In The Wilderness" wrote in message
Outwitting -- use Stealth Antennas URL:
http://ac6v.com/antprojects.htm#STANT
AND
http://www.arrl.org/catalog/?item=7571

Outsmarting -- Don't buy into an HOA Community
Think Ahead --- An HOA can adapt a no antenna rule anytime they want
Have Big Bucks to fight it in court -- Most HOA's have deep pockets

--
73 From The Wilderness Keyboard

Um, not exactly. If a neighborhood were to suddenly enact some sort of

HOA,
I believe any pre-existing antennas would have to be "grandfathered" in.
Hey, I
moved in next to a cow pasture that was in the city limits.
Now some 4-eyed wimps would want to try to make the
farmer get rid of his cows. Couldn't! When the city
annexed the neighborhood, they had to take the cows too
........they refused to MOOOOOOOOOOOOVE! (Sorry, I had to do that). The
cows stayed. Good neigh-
bors, too. Remained until the farmer died and his sons decided to sell
them. Now, they just can't put them back, tho.

Of course, the solution is NOT to move into one of those
HOAs with the blue-haired lady telling what color to paint
your shutters. Once you do, you are stuck. Kinda like those folks that
move in next to an AIRPORT and then
expect to get PAID because of the noise. I have no sympathy for them. I
choose NOT to live in such a place. And I get all the convenience of city
living and the
atmosphere of the country: a grassy meadow (former pasture), lots of wood

s,
dead end street, close in, yet
very quiet, deer, owls, geese, foxes, and raccoons--which I could do
without, BTW. AND all the antennas I
want!

Jerry
K4KWH
"

Old December 2nd 03, 03:34 PM

WShoots1 wrote:

Some hams have beat restrictions by using a vertical antenna as a flag pole.

Bill, K5BY

Bill, on the other side there is a veteran in FL who is fighting with
his HOA because THEY don't want the flag poll. So they say, the flag is
ok.... This fellow is in court and his HOA is ready to sell his home out
from under him. He is trying to get $25,000+ to save his home. This
story was on FOX News it's so big. Even the FL Attorney General has come
out in his defense. A judge stopped the sale of this VETERAN'S home.

And those people in that HOA have the nerve to call themselves
"AMERICAN'S", I don't believe so.
Old December 2nd 03, 05:09 PM
Jerry Oxendine

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
Brenda Ann wrote:
For me, I don't feel a bit sorry for those people, they knew there was a
50,000 watt radio station there when they started moving in. So did the
developers. KGA should not be forced to move because of some people's
ignorance or short-sightedness.

How about the "greatest good for the greatest number"? :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

NOPE!!

They had the choice to move there or not. Just like idiots
that move in right off the end of an airport runway, then
howl about the noise. They want to be PAID because of
the jet noise. They KNEW what they were getting into
before they moved there. As far as I am concerned, they
ought NOT get one thin dime from it.

If I move into an HOA, then I should shut up about it and
let the old buzzard power-trippers tell me what to do. But I STILL have a
choice to not move into such a place.
I am too feisty and independent to accept domination. I
believe property rights must remain dominant; i.e., your
rights end at your property line and mine end at mine.
Of course, there has to be some reasonable limits, but
what color I *must* paint my shutters? Horsefeathers!
Most neighborhoods "conform" simply by osmosis, or
peer pressure. Most people are likely to keep their property clean and
clutter-free. Most people tend to
flock to what they can afford and you will find that neighborhoods tend to
catagorize themselves; affuent,
middle class, lower middle class, fair, poor, poor-ER.
I think HOAs are unnecessary and I will NOT accept them; those puffed up
self-important busybodys will have
to kick my **** first! So the obvious thing is to just stay
away. I am perfectly content in my 1956 ranch w/basement with the
fireplaces/inserts, garage and double
carport/deck, real plaster walls and knotty pine kitchen.
The geese that reside down at a woods nearby are an extra. OH, my house is
built FAR better than most of the
houses today. During Hurricane Hugo (1989) many of those "fine" houses in my
area were blown down like the
big, bad wolf. I lost shingles. Nothing more. 96 MPH
winds.

So, with this unintended rant, I say that I have no sympathy for those
"neighbors" that moved next to a pre-
existing condition and----well, TOUGH! They shouldna
been stupid enough to move there to start with!! LOL!
Then to have the arrogance to demand that the tower
that had been there for decades(?) have to move, HA!
Again, HORSEFEATHERS! (and a few other things).

73

Jerry
K4KWH

Old December 2nd 03, 05:33 PM
Jerry Oxendine

Au Contraire -- a ham here who had an antenna up for years was told that

the
HOA voted it an eyesore and he was to take it down --He pleaded
"Grandfathering" and a long legal battle ensued and he lost. The CC&R was
not on antennas -- but on an "obnoxious structure"

--
73 From The Wilderness Keyboard

Then it would have gone to Federal court where I would've used PRB-1. This
is a federal statute that requires that communities (municipal, county, etc)
make
reasonable accomodation for amateur antennas. I would
bet neither you or I have all the facts you are relating because IF that
antenna had been in place for "years"
as you say, I still believe it would have to be grand-fathered. But because
some muckety mucks move in
after *I* have had a tower for years (17) I must now remove it? Well,
they'll have to show me the hard way.

Eventually, the comformity crowd just may have to stick out their lips and
bear it, because there is an antenna bill
before Congress that *may* cause the blue-hairs heart failure! It will mean
that HOAs will have to make the same *reasonable* accomodations as local
governments.
Why? Because Amateur Radio is considered a part of America's communications
infrastructure and has been proven a valuable asset. While it is, foremost,
a hobby,
many people never consider will happen when towers fall,
a tornado strikes, or even a forest fire strikes. Those yuppy cell phones
aren't worth a tinker's dam (no, not 'damn'), your computer doesn't work
without power or
phone lines, and what's left? Ham Radio, *some* ES
comms, Civil Air Patrol, et al. And who will cry "foul" first? The same
air-headed HOA people so hell-bent
to get rid of "ugly" antennas. The same ones that will
scream "I WANT MY PHONE AND TV BACK ON"!
"How can I find out if my mother in the next town is OK"? And you,
likely, won't find out! Because you
ran off the neighbor that *could've* helped. You embarked on this power
trip. Das Shutzstassen (SS)und Dummkopten. Ya, Idioten!
And your pleas will be met with exactly what you wanted:

......................................Silence

Old December 2nd 03, 05:38 PM
Jerry Oxendine

"Midwest Kid" wrote in message

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message
news
The problem is that in some places in this country finding an area

without
CCRs that will mean an unreasonably long communte to work.

That's my point. It seems more and more, no one is willing to compromise.
Hams want no CC&R and have everything want. Scanner people want what they
want. Short-wave people want what they want. My commute is 20 miles. I
would be fine with driving 30. Some people can't stand that, so they live
in vinyl villages and in urban areas. Some people think 10 miles or more

of
a drive to work is horrible. I don't see how these people would survive

if
they had not found their little niche a few decades ago. Would they just

be
bitter? I know that if I want to live rural, I have to look at almost a

30
mile drive. So? I save my money and take care of my car. If it's that

big
of deal, buy a Honda. Of course then there are the rich folks who can

never
been seen in a Honda. Those are the people I tell to go buy an Acura!!

I have seen this attitude more and more with the younger generation. No
home less than 5 years old. Fancy SUVs, etc etc. Live paycheck to
paycheck. These are actually the CC&R cops you people talk about. Always
bitching about so and so violating this and that.....only because they

think
their home is going to double in value in 10 years. Me, I hope to live as
rural as possible. Even if that means my ham can put up 500 towers.
Depending on what it does/doesn't do to my electronics and his/her

attitude
after I let them know about it, will determine if I see them as friend or
foe. Hams serve a purpose, a good one....but this doesn't mean they

should
use some law to skirt the rules of a contract they were never forced into.

And they shouldn't have to put up with people moving in
long before the ham did and using "some" idiot CCR crap
to make him take down his tower(s).

Jerry

Old December 2nd 03, 05:48 PM
Keyboard In The Wilderness

Well if I am not mistaken --- PRB-1 is NOT applicable to HOA's
Only municipal, county, etc