Old November 26th 03, 01:35 PM
Dwight Stewart

"Ed Price" wrote:

It doesn't change anything you said. I posted
my comments to amplify and clarify your (and
earlier poster's) comments, not as a refutation.
Try not to view everything as a challenge.

Perhaps I did respond defensively, but your "read the rest of the ruling"
comment suggested there was something in the rest of the ruling which should
have my attention (a conflict with what I wrote, perhaps). But, as stated, I
saw no conflict (or anything else that would specifically modify what I
wrote). Regardless, no big deal - a simple misunderstanding. It happens.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Old November 26th 03, 10:32 PM
Ralph Mowery

Ralph Mowery wrote:

Normal people who reside in a nice house isn't going to paint their
house some weird color, park junk vehicles, let their grass turn to

weed
or put up gigantic towers and antennas, etc..

Hams are not normal people, they want gigantic towers and antennas.

Ralph, just what is your ham call???

KU4PT and I have been a ham for over 30 years.

I don't have a gigantic tower beacuse I am on a small lot and also don't
have the money to put up one like I would like to have. I do have a 40 foot
tower and also a shorter ,maybe about 12 ot 15 feet, with my OSCAR antennas
on them. I just installed two more 20 feet towers with a 10 foot pipe on
them about 140 feet apart to hold up an 80 meter dipole. No trees so to
speak of in the yard.

Old November 27th 03, 01:18 AM
CW

Anytime I hear that statement I just right of the person saying it as an
idiot. I haven't been wrong on that one yet.

"WilleeCue" wrote in message
.. .
The great American spoof is "home ownership".
If you ever think you really "own" your home just stop paying money for it
and see what happens!

Old November 27th 03, 01:25 AM
Stinger

Looking at his Austin, Texas newsgroup header, he's probably making a point
about the extremely high property taxes they have there. They don't have a
state income tax in Texas, but they really sock it to property owners.

Even when your mortgage is paid off, those taxes will continue (and probably
increase).

-- Stinger

"CW" wrote in message
Anytime I hear that statement I just right of the person saying it as an
idiot. I haven't been wrong on that one yet.

.. .

Old November 27th 03, 01:40 AM
Midwest Kid

wrote in message ...
Thank you.... .......

I am moving into a housing plan with such antenna restrictions. But
what housing plan doesn't have them. There is always someone trying to
tell some else how to live their lives, or knows what's best for you.

You people amaze me. If you don't like covenants, then don't move into the
neighborhood. The whole reason for the rules are to keep everything in
check. Something tells me that neither of you would wants someone putting
up some rusted out, 1970s RV and using it as a shed if the rules made that
'illegal'

Old November 27th 03, 02:01 AM
Midwest Kid

"WilleeCue" wrote in message
.. .

The great American spoof is "home ownership".
If you ever think you really "own" your home just stop paying money for it
and see what happens!

Plenty of homes are affordable, but like someone here said something like:
"Why should people have to live miles from shopping, schools, etc." I have
a cousin who is married and a best friend who is married. Both paid $140K
for their homes. One group purchased a home in the 'elite' northside of
Indy, the others on the eastside. Both live in the burb counties. Both
have great public schools. The eastside doesn't have the restaurants,
shopping, etc. You have to drive 20 miles to get to that. The difference:
One has a very small yard and lives in a vinyl village. The other has
almost an acre and all brick. One lives 5 miles from work, the other lives
10 and 20 (wife and husband distances). One pays less property tax. It's
all about choices. If you just have to live where the stores, restaurants,
super rich, etc live and you buy a home that has a mortgage that makes you
live pay check to pay check...yea, you won't have much. If you make due
with a home built in 1950 or earlier that is in good shape (oh the horror of
not having a 'new' home that some of my friends would fear), you won't be
hurting. I plan on getting a home in 2-3 months. I have seen some decent
homes for $85-$90K. They are 4-6 miles from half million dollar homes. 2
miles from schools and shopping. Their downside: They are 40 some years old
and in good shape. Now in places like California---get out before the great
burn off starts.

Old November 27th 03, 02:07 AM
Midwest Kid

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

I can understand where people have a right to not want someone storing a
dozen rusty cars on their front lawn, or allowing their grass to get 3'
tall.. but as far as antennas, etc.. they have no business telling a
homeowner what to do. It's not right that they should be telling people
what color they can paint their house, what kind of plants or animals they
can or cannot have, etc..

Then why the hell is it 'right' that they tell your neighbor they can't have
12 rusty cars in their yard? If you want to live without rules, get an
older farm house or something. Don't move into a neighborhood and then
complain about the rules you disagree with.

Old November 27th 03, 02:25 AM
Midwest Kid

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

My brother and I practically rebuilt his 64 T-Bird right in the
driveway. If I was bothering anybody, nobody spoke up.

But if you were selling your home and I had a 1980 rusted Honda on blocks
plus a used beer keg as a 'bird bath', do you honestly think that everyone
that looked at your home wouldn't mind me as your neighbor? That is the
whole point of covenants. Something that protects me when I want to sell.
I could careless about my property value going up, as long as I could break
even it would be better than renting. However, even if your price is
low...having the wrong neighbor could mean 3 people that would have bought
will change their mind. Now I am running out of time, dipping into my cash
reserve, etc. trying to keep my old home and pay for a 6 month lease in my
new city where I work. I personally will not live with covenants. City
ordinances are bad enough!!! My goal is to live in the city I work and get
a home for $90K. Save, save, and save some more until I can get a home not
in a neighborhood that won't be annexed for a while. If it's annexed, I
think it will be time to move even further north. I would rather have to
buy Hondas that will last 200K miles if it means living free.

Old November 27th 03, 02:27 AM
Midwest Kid

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message
gy.com...

That is not the purpose of eminent domain laws. If the law has been

abused
in such a manner, then the citizens affected should be filing a class

action
suit.

"Filing a class action"? Give me a break. More like locking and

Old November 27th 03, 02:28 AM
Jack

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 01:40:16 GMT, "Midwest Kid"
wrote:

wrote in message ...
Thank you.... .......

I am moving into a housing plan with such antenna restrictions. But
what housing plan doesn't have them. There is always someone trying to
tell some else how to live their lives, or knows what's best for you.

You people amaze me. If you don't like covenants, then don't move into the
neighborhood. The whole reason for the rules are to keep everything in
check. Something tells me that neither of you would wants someone putting
up some rusted out, 1970s RV and using it as a shed if the rules made that
'illegal'

As has been pointed out almost innumerable times already. Did you just
discover this thread? grin

Oh well, I haven't put my 2 cents in yet, so I might as well do it
now.

While I kind of agree with the "...if you dont think you like it, then
don't sign it" philosophy, I think the restrictions are often carried
beyond the realm of common sense. A fairly inconspicous rooftop
antenna, a window in your grage, or an untattered flag on your porch
is a far cry from putting a rusted out RV on your front lawn for
storage shed, allowing your lawn to grow high enough to hide in, or
painting your house "Shocking Pink with Turquoise Trim." g Of
course, I said a fairly inconspicous rooftop antenna, *not* a 50'
backyard tower with an monster multiband Yagi...

Then again, it's not the actual restrictive covenants themselves that
I'm against. The fascist attitudes of many HOA board members alone
makes me refuse to even consider buying a property in such a
community. Not to mention the the "stuck-up" antisocial mentality of
many of the homeowners who would be my neighbors.

I don't need restrictive covenants to keep neighbors from becoming
nuisances, either. There are nearly always local laws and ordinances
dealing with noise, nuisance and safety and health, and agencies that
do enforce them.

You are perfectly welcome to closed-communities, HOA's and
restrictions on what you can do with what you own. I'm satisfied with
democracy and the spirit of *responsible freedom* that makes America
great. Just keep your HOA's out of my *free* neighborhood.

73

jack

--
Spam email harvestbot foiler tactics in use!
Email replies to:

n2hqc
(AT)
earthlink