Old December 16th 03, 08:14 PM
garigue

"sideband" wrote in message
gy.com...
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life.
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps them on my knife.

There once was a hermit named Dave ......

73 KI3R Tom Popovic Belle Vernon Pa

Old December 16th 03, 08:33 PM
garigue

Besides, it's a fantasy to think that there'd ever be widespread
support for flat taxes. Too many average people would lose too much.
Including you.

One of the biggest reasons that a flat tax will *never* happen is that
it will provice an easily quantifiable dollar figure as to what is
collected. And that dog won't hunt for any number of reasons.

There are certain ummmm..., advantages of the murky system we have now.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Right Mike ....I seem to remember reading a few years ago that our tax laws
at the Federal level when upright is a stack about 6 feet high. Wanna know
what comprises this volume .... specific and I do mean specific tax breaks
to individuals or businesses. The reason the flat tax will never be seen is
that the gravy thats puts these "laws" into the books will be cut off from
our duly elected reps. Also a fellow in here mentioned that the tax rate
isn't really that 50% plus level doesn't count for the fact that not only
are our payrolls taxed but also the good and services we all purchase. The
big lie is found herein.

My Buddy phoned me with glee when Bill Clinton got into office. He is
really going to put it to those rich *******s with a tax hike ...I was told.
I said who is rich ...a 100K salary? My buddy said yes sir 100 K is a lot
of money. I then told him that the fellow down the street who has a dry
cleaning business probably takes that home after paying his staff, taxes and
other expenses. and guess what ...your pants will probably cost 25 cents
more for a clean when your buddy Bill's signature hits the paper.

73 God Bless KI3R Tom Popovic Belle Vernon Pa

Old December 16th 03, 11:18 PM
Dee D. Flint

"Brian" wrote in message
om...
"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message

igy.com...

And what efforts did you make to convert the majority of members to your
point of view?? While the items you list are worthy activities, they

don't
do much to change policy.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Dee, what ARRL office(s) do you hold in your effort to stem the tide
of changes within the ARS? If your answer is "none," I suggest you
start campaigning yesterday.

When and if I wish to change ARRL policy, I'll dive into the political
arena. I'm not the one complaining about ARRL policies.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old December 16th 03, 11:34 PM
Dee D. Flint

"Kim W5TIT" wrote in message

Yep. Why should a person's abilities determine what tax they pay? Is

there
a deduction right now for a lack of abilities? One thing I think ought to
be done away with is elderly folks paying school taxes. It's ridiculous.

Not at all. The elderly benefited in their youth from public schools and in
their productive years from schools for their children. Do you honestly
think that in that limited time span that the percentage of the tax that
went to the schools was enough to cover their own education and that of
their children? My total annual property taxes are less than it would take
to send one child to private school for one year. The public schools make
it up by spreading it over a taxpayer's lifetime. Or are you saying that
during their working years, a person's property taxes ought to be increased?

Keep in mind that even if a person never has children, they still benefit
from the public education of the community as a whole. If they did not pay
school taxes, they would end up paying increased taxes to support an
increased number of people on welfare. It's far cheaper to pay school taxes
so people can be productive than to support them on welfare.

Whatever the IRS considers as income...the total taxable income that is
reported on a W-2--and that's determined by IRS rules, which ultimately, I
suppose are determined by we the People (yeah, right, but you get the

gist).

They keep changing the rules on that you know.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old December 17th 03, 12:08 AM
Dee D. Flint

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
t...
Dee D. Flint wrote:

You are expecting changes out of all proportion to the effort that you

are
putting into it and you think my opinions are extreme??

I'm not so sure he is, Dee. I see a person that disagrees with some of
what the ARRL is doing, yet still supports the basic objective. I mean
if he's been a member since 86, that counts for something.

Kind of like how I am with politics. The Dems are in shambles, and the
Repubs are waaaaaayyyyy too liberal any more with their way out of line
deficit spending.

But I still vote, and try to pick the least awful candidate.

Which is fine. But if you want something better than what the least awful
candidate will provide, what do you do? If the majority of your party
disagrees with you on some points, what do you do? Do you expect them to
change just because you want them to or because you have been a member for
nearly 20 years? It isn't going to happen. If you want change, then you
roll up your sleeves and go to work on it; not sit and complain, not "take
your marbles and go home." The latter two approaches never work.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old December 17th 03, 12:08 AM
Dee D. Flint

"Dwight Stewart" wrote in message
k.net...
"Dave Heil" wrote:
Len Over 21 wrote:

What is that to you?

It effects me because I am an active radio
amateur. You, on the other hand, are in no
way involved. (snip)

(snip) I think you must have me mixed up
with you. I'm a radio amateur. You are a
bystander.

I'm somewhat uncomfortable with that, Dave. As I see it, when discussing

radio service which uses the radio frequencies that belong to all

Americans,
no American Citizen who wants to be involved is a bystander and all

(Amateur
and non-Amateur) have a right to be involved in the discussion. Likewise,

saw nothing in rules of this newsgroup which would restrict the
participation of non-Amateurs. You may not like what Len has to say, but

the
lack of a Ham license alone should not diminish it or dismiss it.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Philosophically you are right Dwight. However, Len has a long history of
diatribes and disjointed rambles that do not hang together. He is simply
trying to agitate. I've kill filed his various aliases because of it. In
contrast, the other denizens of this newsgroup, whether or not I agree with
them, at least can put together a coherent statement of their point of view
and the logic that they used to arrive at it. Naturally we all pick apart
each other's logic when we don't agree or consider the logic faulty but the
discussions make sense.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old December 17th 03, 12:08 AM
Dee D. Flint

"Brian" wrote in message
om...
"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message

igy.com...
"Brian" wrote in message
om...

I think Dee's demands are extreme.

You are expecting changes out of all proportion to the effort that you

are
putting into it and you think my opinions are extreme??

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Yes, yes. Let them eat cake says Dee Marie.

You don't seem to recognize that the desire to modernize the ARS has a
groundswell of support. It doesn't need to be filtered through state
and regional directors, brought up in a board meeting, with lots of
hand-wringing that there is no clear mandate...

So how do you propose that change occur? What is your plan? Show me
changes that are needed and an effective plan to get there. So far all you
have done is bash the ARRL without presenting any alternative.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old December 17th 03, 12:08 AM
Dee D. Flint

"Brian" wrote in message
om...
Mike Coslo wrote in message

Brian wrote:
Mike Coslo wrote

I think this is one of those cases where some people think that their
membership is a subscription to QST. Its a lot more than that. ARRL

does
a lot for Amateurs, even those who hate the organization.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Fair enough.

I dislike some of the policies that the ARRL has promoted in the past,
and felt as if the ARRL did not represent me even though I have been a
member since 1986.

Well, there you go! As a member, I'll pay a lot more attnetion to what
you have to say.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Mike, don't let Dee hear you say that. ;^)

I must hold an official ARRL elected office to have any influence.

Not necessarily. You merely need to convince the majority that your view is
correct so that people who have the same agenda as you will be elected.

I wonder what elected office she holds in an effort to stem the tide of

change?

I choose to vote for officials who have the goals that I believe in. While
I disagree with the probable changes that are coming, they are not so
heinous that I see a need to rearrange my priorities to personally fight
them. They are changes I can live with should they come to pass.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old December 17th 03, 12:09 AM
Dee D. Flint

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
N2EY wrote:

snippage

But I do give, and you want to take away *my* deduction for doing so.

A good example of deductive reasoning! ;^)

more snippage

Besides, it's a fantasy to think that there'd ever be widespread
support for flat taxes. Too many average people would lose too much.
Including you.

One of the biggest reasons that a flat tax will *never* happen is that
it will provice an easily quantifiable dollar figure as to what is
collected. And that dog won't hunt for any number of reasons.

There are certain ummmm..., advantages of the murky system we have now.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Yeah the average Joe would then know what he is really paying through all
the hidden taxes and boy would he scream then.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old December 17th 03, 12:37 AM
Phil Kane

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 23:34:19 GMT, Dee D. Flint wrote:

Whatever the IRS considers as income...the total taxable income that is
reported on a W-2--and that's determined by IRS rules, which ultimately, I
suppose are determined by we the People (yeah, right, but you get the
gist).

They keep changing the rules on that you know.

Shhhh...you'll wake Dieter up.....

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane