Old January 30th 04, 06:02 PM
N2EY

Default New Candidate for 'Youngest Extra'

Tech at 5 years old
General at 6
Extra at 7

http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2004/01/29/1/?nc=1

73 de Jim, N2EY
Old January 30th 04, 11:06 PM
Bert Craig

(N2EY) wrote in message . com...
Tech at 5 years old
General at 6
Extra at 7

http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2004/01/29/1/?nc=1

73 de Jim, N2EY

Very VERY kewl! Thanks for sharing it.

73 de Bert
WA2SI
Old January 31st 04, 09:54 PM
N2EY

In article ,
(Bert Craig) writes:

(N2EY) wrote in message
.com...
Tech at 5 years old
General at 6
Extra at 7

http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2004/01/29/1/?nc=1

73 de Jim, N2EY

Very VERY kewl! Thanks for sharing it.

Interesting story and obviously a very bright kid! Homeschooled, too.
The story documents other young hams, including the Philly area's W3OVV,
who earned her Class B at the Philly FCC office soon after her 10th birthday -
in 1948. This was back in the days when *all* US ham licenses required 13 wpm
code, sending and receiving, and when the writtens were not only "secret" but
also consisted in large part of essay and draw-a-diagram questions.

One interesting side note is that these young hams are almost all girls!

73 de Jim, N2EY

"Age requirements? We doan' need no steenkeen age requirements!"

Old February 4th 04, 09:07 PM
Jim Hampton

Thanks for the info, Jim. Yes, I suspect the youngest would be girls since
males tend to mature at a later age. Check the posts in the newsgroup for
proof of that

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

"N2EY" wrote in message
Interesting story and obviously a very bright kid! Homeschooled, too.
The story documents other young hams, including the Philly area's W3OVV,
who earned her Class B at the Philly FCC office soon after her 10th

birthday -
in 1948. This was back in the days when *all* US ham licenses required 13

wpm
code, sending and receiving, and when the writtens were not only "secret"

but
also consisted in large part of essay and draw-a-diagram questions.

One interesting side note is that these young hams are almost all girls!

73 de Jim, N2EY

"Age requirements? We doan' need no steenkeen age requirements!"

---

Old February 5th 04, 01:54 AM
N2EY

In article , "Jim Hampton"
writes:

Thanks for the info, Jim.

Check out the book "Radio Rescue", though. True story.

Yes, I suspect the youngest would be girls since
males tend to mature at a later age.

If at all.

Check the posts in the newsgroup for
proof of that

The oldest regular poster here is the least mature, for a start.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old January 30th 04, 11:50 PM
William

(N2EY) wrote in message . com...
Tech at 5 years old
General at 6
Extra at 7

http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2004/01/29/1/?nc=1

73 de Jim, N2EY

I think you've finally found Larry's equal.
Old January 31st 04, 07:46 PM
Robert Casey

William wrote:

(N2EY) wrote in message . com...

Tech at 5 years old
General at 6
Extra at 7

http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2004/01/29/1/?nc=1

73 de Jim, N2EY

I think you've finally found Larry's equal.

No way! Larry did 20! ;-)

Old February 2nd 04, 03:16 AM
Larry Roll K3LT

In article ,
(William) writes:

(N2EY) wrote in message
.com...
Tech at 5 years old
General at 6
Extra at 7

http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2004/01/29/1/?nc=1

73 de Jim, N2EY

I think you've finally found Larry's equal.

Billy:

Not hardly. Young Miss Clauson bears the unfortunate burden of being a
New Age, Dumbed-Down "Nickle" Extra. I got my Extra in 1983, and was
code tested at 20 WPM at the FCC Field Office in Baltimore. Moreover,
I learned my electrical theory from years of self-study as an avid electronics
hobbyist, built dozens of homebrew and kit projects, and spent years as
an avid shortwave listener. I did all of this without the benefit of parents
who were amateur radio operators, and almost no exposure to other hams
as a result. Young Mattie has an Extra-class ticket, and the same privileges
as I do, but that's where our "equality" ends. She has to melt quite a few
pounds of 60/40 rosin-core, and make several thousand CW and digital
QSO's, to get close to me!

73 de Larry, K3LT

Old February 2nd 04, 11:26 AM
William

ospam (Larry Roll K3LT) wrote in message ...
In article ,
(William) writes:

(N2EY) wrote in message
.com...
Tech at 5 years old
General at 6
Extra at 7

http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2004/01/29/1/?nc=1

73 de Jim, N2EY

I think you've finally found Larry's equal.

Billy:

Not hardly. Young Miss Clauson bears the unfortunate burden of being a
New Age, Dumbed-Down "Nickle" Extra.

Larry, you're so quick to tear down the achievements of a child.

Extra class - question about the test J999w General 8 April 13th 04 09:57 PM
From the Extra question pool: The dipole David Robbins General 1 January 23rd 04 05:32 PM
From the Extra question pool: The dipole David Robbins Policy 0 January 23rd 04 05:16 PM
Low reenlistment rate charlesb Policy 54 September 18th 03 01:57 PM
1x2 Calls--automatic when upgrading to Extra? Jim Hampton Policy 6 July 15th 03 10:55 PM