Old December 21st 08, 08:05 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default More and More AM Radio Stations Moving To The FM Radio Band

"Dave" wrote in message
David Eduardo wrote:

"PocketRadio" wrote in message
On Dec 21, 12:51�am, RHF wrote:
On Dec 20, 2:41�pm, "David Eduardo" wrote:
�.
All News KCBS-AM on 740 kHz goes to . . .
FM 106.9 MHz in the SF Bay
Areahttp://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/487324639bfd2f89

Simulcasting doesn't mean that they are turning off the AMs.

It means they have read the tea leaves and are preparing for the time
when nearly all salable listenership will be on FM.

Many have taken the big format from AM to FM, like KTAR, KIRO, WTOP, etc.

But KFYI beats KTAR-FM.

Not where it matters. KTAR-FM is way, way ahead of KFYI in the ages
advertisers buy. And that is why they made the move...

Old December 21st 08, 08:09 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Eduardo - Serious Question For You

"Bob Campbell" wrote in message
m...
"David Eduardo" wrote in message
I agree with that.... but share-wise, talk, news talk and all news is 10%
of radio listening at most and more like around 5% outside some major
markets. For music, there is a nice difference and the HD2 channels are
an added bonus.

But if more and more FMs are becoming news/talk/sports (and they clearly
are), then that share is going to increase, and these new FMs will not be
driving HD. If anything, they will be thinking "yeah we tried HD on AM
and it went nowhere. Therefore we are not interested in it for our FM
station".

All but, I believe, one (KGO) of the major (meaning "they have ratings")
AMs, of which there are between 0 and 3 in most of the top 100 markets are
owned by groups that have one or two AMs and up to 5 FMs locally. They will
understand HD, and, if they move a talker to FM, they will see the value in
the HD-2 channel, even if it is used to rent to a content provider. Since
only a couple of FMs will be able to sustain talk (it's really exp0ensive),
still 80% to 90% of FMs will be music and entertainment based.

Old December 21st 08, 08:14 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"none" ""dave\"@(none)" wrote in message
m...
I have a Clarion Sirius transmitter on 88.1 MHz, (BBC World Service News
24/7). I have a Whole House Gold on 107.9 for the web radio. "Nova M
Radio" Cynthia Black.

Yeah, the Whole House Gold is a great little unit. I get about 1/4 mile
range with mine. The trick is to not follow the instructions regarding the
antenna. They say to mount it vertically. Doing it that way I couldn't
get good reception even in the same room. String the antenna wire
horizontally on a wall. Mine is on the 2nd floor of my house and sends out
a great signal.

Old December 21st 08, 08:26 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default IBOC : FM HD2-Radio Networks - HD-Radio's Bridge To The Future

"David Eduardo" wrote in message

The format director goes to large churches, after previously talking with
the pastor, and explains HD. Discount capons and literature are given out,
and we know of thousands of radios sold this way.

Really? Cheap chickens help sell radios?? Is this their version of a chicken
in every pot?

Old December 21st 08, 08:28 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

David Eduardo wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message
David Eduardo wrote:

The "successful programming" is fast moving to FM.

You have driven the choice audience away with your lame programming.
People have been leaving since the mobile CD player came on the scene.
Numerically driven music programming is what drove people like me to
AM and made Rush Limbaugh "relevant".

Now that the only people that are left listening to music on FM are
morons or public radio types, who never listen to AM on principle, why
the **** not put the chaos on the FM as well?

It's only a matter of time before somebody makes a 3G car radio
that'll pick-up 10,000 stations. Like I do at home. Hell, 32 kb/s
sounds better than most FM stations, the way you guys mangle it.

The problem is that there is no business model for this, no ratings
system that can accommodate it. Like the current issues with YouTube
(look at the split with Warner and Warner-Chappell), no matter how
popular a website or service may be, if there is not a viable and
practical business model, it will fail or become a hobby.

Labor of love is the term.

Old December 21st 08, 11:40 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
dxAce wrote:

Telamon wrote:

In article ,
Dave wrote:

PocketRadio wrote:
On Dec 20, 7:51?pm, Dave wrote:
David Eduardo wrote:

"BoobleStubble" wrote in message

Eduardo's hate for AM radio is obvious - many of the larger
50kw AM stations are ranked #1, or are in the top-5, and
aren't going anywhere. There are nearly no big AMs (power is
not the issue... it's coverage) that are in the top 5 in the
sales demogaphics of 18 to 54. And, like 1A clear channel KSL
in Salt Lake city, they are moving as fast as they can to
FM... other 50 kw AMs that have done this are KIRO in Seattle
and WWL in New Orleans and WIBC in Indianapolis... some
simulcast, like KSL and WWL, others just abandon the format
on AM as they go where the salable listeners are.
While not a 1A, KSL's Phoenix sister KTAR has also moved their
News/Talk to FM.

Eduardo is poo-pooing AM radio, because he knows that IBOC has
been a disaster, and that AM contains the successful
news/talk/sports formats. Large AM stations, such as WLW, serve
many states - something FMs can't claim. Yea, the AM dial is
more than full of AM stations. The FM dial is full, and only so
many AMs can be moved/simulcast on FM.

The FMs around here are blocked by mountains. KNX and KFI "Keep
Fascists Informed" have no issues with mountains.

They also keep the conservatives and reactionaries in Ventura
informed. This is very important as we are the opinion formers,
opinion makers, and voters.

I have a QSL (verie, for the fabricator in Glendale) from KFI. They
used to be a semi-regular in here until a local decided to fire up on
the freq.

If you ever get serious about AMBCB you could get a loop antenna and
null that local out. Then maybe you could get KFI again.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old December 21st 08, 11:42 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote in message
On Dec 21, 1:04 pm, "David Eduardo" wrote:
"PocketRadio" wrote in message

On Dec 21, 12:00 am, wrote:

On Dec 20, 11:52 pm, "David Eduardo" wrote:

wrote in message

Sorry I wasn't there. You must be a radio insider. What is it that
you do?- Hide quoted text -

No, he just blogs all day long, even from work.

You must not work, or you would know that people have breaks, lunch hours
and even time while on conference calls to do other things. Since I work
about 70 hours a week, often in 18 hour days, my breaks are used to
"clear
the mind" by things like web surfing, reading, etc.

Eduardo - If you were really as smart as you think you are you
wouldn't be spending so much time in Google Groups conversing with the
little people. Think about it........

I spend most of my time at work "conversing with the little people" and that
is what I am paid to do.

Old December 21st 08, 11:42 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
"Bob Campbell" wrote:

wrote in message

Eduardo - If you were really as smart as you think you are you
wouldn't be spending so much time in Google Groups conversing with the
little people. Think about it........

If you were as smart as *you* think you are, you would realize that this is
not "Google Groups".

I would like to just kill file anyone posting from google but
unfortunately in this news group a few good people post from there.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old December 21st 08, 11:45 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

wrote in message
On Dec 21, 3:36 am, "David Eduardo" wrote:

Univision Radio already has a contemporary Christian format on HD2
channels in a large variety of markets.

Eduardo - Who's listening? If there are only 1 Million radios
sold, which is a very optimistic number by the way, how many people
could possibly be listening? How could it be self-supporting?

The format director goes to large churches, after previously talking
with the pastor, and explains HD. Discount capons and literature are
given out, and we know of thousands of radios sold this way. The same
has happened with our Tejano network on HD2 in Texas... it's up to
the station to promote the product on the air and the sale of
receivers.

If we move, let's say, 50,000 receivers in the LA market in the next
year, and each person listens an average amount of time for
comparable formats, the HD 2 channel will show in the ratings... low,
but it will show.

The figure on receiver sales is over a million, by the way.

That would be interesting. Let as know when a HD2 channel shows up in
the ratings.

This lends a different dimension on the thought that HD is only
promoted by believers. Ha, ha. Best wishes to Hector promoting his HD2
channel.

In NY and Philadelphia, they have shown. Almost all are encoded, too..

Old December 21st 08, 11:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"dxAce" wrote in message

I have a QSL (verie, for the fabricator in Glendale) from KFI. They used
to be a
semi-regular in here until a local decided to fire up on the freq.

I have three veries from KFI from Cleveland... one for 50 kw with an EKKO
stamp, one for the 10 kw aux transmitter, and one for the 640 CONELRAD test
done at night just for LA with powers in the 100 to 200 watt range.

Eduardo - Serious Question For you [email protected] Shortwave 18 October 20th 08 12:31 AM
Hey, Eduardo - look! IBOCcrock Shortwave 5 December 21st 07 10:29 AM
Eduardo IBOCcrock Shortwave 0 November 5th 07 03:55 PM
Here's to you, Eduardo! IBOCcrock Shortwave 8 November 2nd 07 09:44 PM
Does Eduardo... dxAce Shortwave 9 February 28th 07 12:52 AM