Old December 21st 08, 06:07 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default (OT) : PONG PocketRadio - 'we' as in "WE" : So You Are A SHILL forSatellite Radio

On Dec 20, 3:50*pm, PocketRadio wrote:
On Dec 20, 5:43 pm, "David Eduardo" wrote:

"elaich" wrote in ...
wrote in news:18fe4501-a9ce-42ea-962a-
:

Not to put you on the spot but in your estimation how successful of a
year was it for iBiquitys HD radio?

More and more stations are turning it off. WTIC just joined the crowd..

AM is dead, the prime formats moving to FM.

"News/Talk/Sports:Radio's Last Bastion"

"Music FMs of any flavor are utterly screwed...
Right now -- while FMs are losing the music
audience to new media --

- satellite radio is offering more News/Talk/Sports
- programming than we can fit on AM radio..."
- http://ftp.media.radcity.ten/ZMST/daily/IS031005.htm

(OT) : PONG PocketRadio - 'we' as in "WE" :
So You Are A SHILL for Satellite Radio

well that explains all the 'anti' am & fm radio posts ~ RHF
Old December 21st 08, 08:36 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default IBOC : FM HD2-Radio Networks - HD-Radio's Bridge To The Future

"RHF" wrote in message

Non-Catholic Hispanic Religious Groups could use a
non-english "All Spanish" FM HD2-Radio Network to
get their unique religious message out to their community.

Univision Radio already has a contemporary Christian format on HD2 channels
in a large variety of markets.

In most cases, though, the teaching and preaching stations in Spanish are on
AM... nearly every significant Hispanic market has one now.

Old December 21st 08, 01:17 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 21, 3:36 am, "David Eduardo" wrote:

Univision Radio already has a contemporary Christian format on HD2 channels
in a large variety of markets.

Eduardo - Who's listening? If there are only 1 Million radios sold,
which is a very optimistic number by the way, how many people could
possibly be listening? How could it be self-supporting?

Old December 21st 08, 02:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Eduardo - Serious Question For You

David Eduardo wrote:

It's sort of KPFK vs. KIIS. The interest in what you crave is miniscule.

Most of the world has national radio, not a lot of local content...
because it's been seen that the FCC localism policy that goes back to
the 30's was based on a fundamental misunderstanding of what listeners
wanted.

KPFK has an anal blockage of some sort. They are a terrible radio
station. Pacifica in Houston is a much better example. Radio has a
responsibility to provide a balanced diet. KIIS is like eating audio
junk food.

Localism can be as simple as having a Music Director in-house, breaking
regional hits, getting input from dance clubs, etc., rather than relying
on bozo consultants.
Old December 21st 08, 02:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

PocketRadio wrote:
On Dec 20, 7:51�pm, Dave wrote:
David Eduardo wrote:

"BoobleStubble" wrote in message
Eduardo's hate for AM radio is obvious - many of the larger 50kw AM
stations are ranked #1, or are in the top-5, and aren't going
anywhere.
There are nearly no big AMs (power is not the issue... it's coverage)
that are in the top 5 in the sales demogaphics of 18 to 54. And, like 1A
clear channel KSL in Salt Lake city, they are moving as fast as they can
to FM... other 50 kw AMs that have done this are KIRO in Seattle and WWL
in New Orleans and WIBC in Indianapolis... some simulcast, like KSL and
WWL, others just abandon the format on AM as they go where the salable
listeners are.

While not a 1A, KSL's Phoenix sister KTAR has also moved their News/Talk
to FM.

Eduardo is poo-pooing AM radio, because he knows that IBOC has been a
disaster, and that AM contains the successful news/talk/sports
formats. Large AM stations, such as WLW, serve many states - something
FMs can't claim. Yea, the AM dial is more than full of AM stations.
The FM dial is full, and only so many AMs can be moved/simulcast on FM.

The FMs around here are blocked by mountains. KNX and KFI "Keep
Fascists Informed" have no issues with mountains.

Old December 21st 08, 03:07 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

David Eduardo wrote:

Anything outside the local metro is not salable, and thus, irrelevant.

Are the people who rely on such stations also irrelevant, because they
live 50 miles out of town? Why don't we pile up the 50 KW stations like
we do on 1240 and 1400? Build one every 300 miles like TV channels?

§ 73.21 Classes of AM broadcast channels and stations.

(a) Clear channel. A clear channel is one on which stations are assigned
to [SERVE] wide areas. These stations are protected from objectionable
interference within their primary [SERVICE] areas and, depending on the
class of station, their secondary [SERVICE] areas. Stations operating on
these channels are classified as follows:

(1) Class A station. A Class A station is an unlimited time station that
operates on a clear channel and is designed to render primary and
secondary [SERVICE] over an extended area and at relatively long
distances from its transmitter. Its primary [SERVICE] area is protected
from objectionable interference from other stations on the same and
adjacent channels, and its secondary [SERVICE] area is protected from
interference from other stations on the same channel. (See §73.182). The
operating power shall not be less than 10 kW nor more than 50 kW. (Also
see §73.25(a)).
Old December 21st 08, 04:06 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 20, 11:26�pm, "David Eduardo" wrote:
wrote in message

I heard that at the last NAB convention HD radio had little support
also - just a few very vocal nuisances. �Most attendees just put up
with them.

Obviously, you were not there. The Austin NAB (not the Vegas one, which is
now nearly all TV) had more HD sessions and better attendance than any I
have seen. As always, the early technical sessions were well attended, too.
The only sessions with greater attendance were the PPM ones by Colman and a
couple of other guest presenters.

There is no support for HD outside of the HD Alliance-owned stations,
and support from them is waining - we got you!
Old December 21st 08, 04:08 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 20, 11:42*pm, wrote:
On Dec 20, 11:19 pm, wrote:

On Dec 20, 9:32 pm, PocketRadio wrote:

On Dec 20, 7:23 pm, "David Eduardo" wrote:

wrote in message

What about iBiquity? *Are they not deeply in dept? *It's one thing for
stations to see a return (if that's really happening as a "national
Hindi network" has very limited appeal) it's another for investors to
receive a return on their huge investment.

You have to separate iBiquity from the stations. iBiquity has relatively
little debt, and is financed with burn capital like most startups.

The radio stations are willing to continue HD programming, as they did for 3
decades with FM, in the hope the system will be more valuable.

It's hard to believe that
HD radio is holding on by anything but a thread. *With less than 1
million radios sold after 6 or 7 years, and nothing new on the
horizon, how could anyone be persuaded by iBiquitys description of HD
radio as "Exciting"?

The low power chipsets are shipping, so 2009 should see both more varied
programming and new radios.

Realistically, to compare the iBiquity HD radio start-up to a
biomedical firm start-up doesn't make sense either. *There’s lots of
discretionary money available for biomedical start-ups (I know because
I work for a pharmaceutical company) but broadcasting is another thing
altogether. *Based on what I now about iBiquity they were convinced
that HD radio would be ubiquitous by now. *I believe Bob Struble
boldly said that by 2009 / 2010 HD radio would be the norm. That
hardly seems likely to happen.

New FMs are still going on with HD, showing the interest. There was a lot of
HD enthusiasm at the NAB in Austin. And much of the startup money came from
radio itself... and technologt vc firms.

Trust me, I’m not trying to corner you but finding the truth is
difficult. *Ibiquity is not a reliable source and most other sources
are very guarded on the subject.

Having seen a number of profitable HD channels, I think that as the
offerings mature, radios gradually come out, and channels are split to do
sub-let niche programming like the Hindi thing, there will be lots of
reasons to be happy with HD.

"New FMs are still going on with HD, showing the interest. There was a
lot of HD enthusiasm at the NAB in Austin."

"NAB Radio Show Report" September 22nd, 2008

"There was continued top-down advocacy of HD Radio from David Rehr,
but little support from attendees, and even small signs of revolt on
the subject. It was good to see the clear disconnect on this issue, as
it is forcing radio’s leaders to look more diligently toward viable
solutions that fit the demands of today’s consumer, rather than
depending on a delegated entity to secure radio’s longevity."

http://tinyurl.com/4ynxyk

Oh, really?

I heard that at the last NAB convention HD radio had little support
also - just a few very vocal nuisances. *Most attendees just put up
with them.

Eduardo,
Another thing I'm have trouble with is the statement that 90% of the
country is covered by HD radio. *Since most markets have 20 to 30 AM
and FM stations (at least) to choose from and if only a few (say 10%)
are transmitting HD how does that translate to 90% national
coverage? * Your position is bit misleading and almost sounds like a
typical iBiquity spin statement. *Unless you mean that if you can hear
ANY HD station, even if it transmits to Hindi Nationals, you have
access to HD radio and are therefore covered. *That's just plain
bogus.

90% coverage really doesn't mean much except to maybe distort
reality. *I, in fact, must live in the remaining 10% that isn't
covered by a local HD station and I only live 60 miles from
Pittsburgh.- Hide quoted text -

"Who (whom?) do you trust?"

"Well… as I have stated before, Ibiquity’s numbers for total multi-
cast (HD-2) formats cannot be trusted. It’s not true. Those are
inflated false figures, that would disappoint and anger any consumer
investing in an HD radio. For Buffalo, NY… their website states that
there are 13 stations broadcasting in HD (one of those being AM), with
a total of 24 stations multi-casting in HD-2 (seperate format). It’s
not true. I wish they would read this! They are spreading lies. And I
as a concumer am not happy about it. Only 11 total FM stations in
Buffalo are really broadcasting in HD… and only 4 of those have a
separate multi-cast HD-2 format on the air. A few others have an HD-2
'feed' but… they are broadcasting the same format as their ‘main’
analog (i.e. HD-1) station format. A message to the President/CEO of
iBiquity: You want to gain the trust of the consumer, then update your
website so that it rings of truth and not lies."

http://hdradioblog.info/hd-radio-new...m-do-you-trust

iBiquity is lying about the numbers.
Old December 21st 08, 04:08 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote in message

I heard that at the last NAB convention HD radio had little support
also - just a few very vocal nuisances. �Most attendees just put up
with them.

Obviously, you were not there. The Austin NAB (not the Vegas one, which
is
now nearly all TV) had more HD sessions and better attendance than any I
have seen. As always, the early technical sessions were well attended,
too.
The only sessions with greater attendance were the PPM ones by Colman and
couple of other guest presenters.

Were you there?

Yes, but I was not a speaker this year.

Sorry I wasn't there. You must be a radio insider. �What is it that
you do?- Hide quoted text -

No, he just blogs all day long, even from work.
Old December 21st 08, 04:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 21, 12:48�am, elaich wrote:
"David Eduardo" wrote in news:aye3l.11113$c45.6040
@nlpi065.nbdc.sbc.com:

AM is dead, the prime formats moving to FM.

Gives us BCB DXers a sporting chance.

Also, you are full of ****.

For some reason Eduardo just hates AM radio - AM radio, with its
successful programming is here to stay.

Eduardo - Serious Question For you [email protected] Shortwave 18 October 20th 08 12:31 AM
Hey, Eduardo - look! IBOCcrock Shortwave 5 December 21st 07 10:29 AM
Eduardo IBOCcrock Shortwave 0 November 5th 07 03:55 PM
Here's to you, Eduardo! IBOCcrock Shortwave 8 November 2nd 07 09:44 PM
Does Eduardo... dxAce Shortwave 9 February 28th 07 12:52 AM