Old October 22nd 05, 09:18 PM
Spooge Geeko

Default Morse code learning software

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 18:26:00 +0200, "Sigurd Stenersen"
wrote:

Kurt wrote:
Sheesh, I gotta work harder. Can send well but receiving is a whole
'nother ballgame. Fired up JLMC last night and gave it a serious go
and it is indeed going to take 30 minutes a night for sometime to get
me up to speed. I was a bit saddened but felt better when I reminded
myself I haven't put myself on a timeframe and still need to study
the Tech and General Manuals. Passed an OnLine tech exam, but I
would like to get a higher score.

What speed setting are you using ?

I think it may be harder learning at below 12 WPM than above. But I suppose
that's bad news if you're aiming for a 5WPM test...

73 de LB3KB, Sigurd
http://justlearnmorsecode.com

try chars at 8wpm with spacing at 16
It gives a better sense of the "flow and rhythm" so its easier to
increase speed.
Ed
de KA9AHQ/7
No Voice, No Vice, Novice :-)

and again
Thank You Sigurd.
Old October 22nd 05, 10:20 PM
Sigurd Stenersen

wrote:
I think it may be harder learning at below 12 WPM than above. But I
suppose that's bad news if you're aiming for a 5WPM test...

try chars at 8wpm with spacing at 16
It gives a better sense of the "flow and rhythm" so its easier to
increase speed.

According to Koch's research it takes longer to learn below 12 WPM. He
probably didn't use Farnsworth timing, tho.

This is highly subjective either way, so if you find a setting that works
for you just stick with it.

(On the other hand - if you're going to take a test you should find out what
speed is used for that test before you show up. Practicing 5/5 for a test
that's given at 5/18 spells t-r-o-u-b-l-e.)

I use 12/18 for relearning Morse code 24 years later myself. (I use Just
Learn Morse Code whenever I can find the time - currently I spend most of my
hobby hours working on the next version.)

Old October 24th 05, 07:16 PM
Kurt

Thanks for all the advice. Will work harder once the Midwest winter
sets in and the summer hobbies go on the back burner. My wife won't let
me spraypaint in the garage after I poofed the cars.

Kurt Savegnago

Old October 27th 05, 03:24 AM
Roger

wrote:

Kurt wrote:
Sheesh, I gotta work harder. Can send well but receiving is a whole
'nother ballgame. Fired up JLMC last night and gave it a serious go
and it is indeed going to take 30 minutes a night for sometime to get
me up to speed. I was a bit saddened but felt better when I reminded
myself I haven't put myself on a timeframe and still need to study
the Tech and General Manuals. Passed an OnLine tech exam, but I
would like to get a higher score.

What speed setting are you using ?

I think it may be harder learning at below 12 WPM than above. But I suppose
that's bad news if you're aiming for a 5WPM test...

73 de LB3KB, Sigurd
http://justlearnmorsecode.com

try chars at 8wpm with spacing at 16

You sure that isn't the character at 16 with the spacing set to give 8
WPM?

If the character and spacing are not the same it just doesn't sound
right. It was easier for me to learn with the proper spacing for the
speed.

Now days I can copy 5, but it's work. At 20 I hear word sounds which
is easy, but I'd be lost trying to copy 8 with a spacing for 16, or
the characters sent at 16 with the spacing set to give 8WPM.

Every one is different.

It gives a better sense of the "flow and rhythm" so its easier to

For me it breaks the flow and rhythm, but OTOH you are learning the
character sounds .

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
increase speed.