Old January 17th 04, 05:23 AM
Len Over 21

In article om, "Dee D.
Flint" writes:

I have many times in many forums objected to the phrase "it's just a hobby"
for this very reason.

Okay, it's "not" a hobby.

I strongly believe in public service. I strongly
believe that it is one of, but not the only, justification for our
existence.

Okay, the entire justification for amateur radio is "public service."

However if we are going to put so much emphasis on this
particular element we have to face the fact that we are very remiss
addressing the other elements listed under Basis and Purpose. But again a
justification to exist is neither a requirement nor an authorization.

Okay, so its back to just a hobby again...

Gosh, all this circle chasing is getting tiring. :-)

LHA / WMD
Old January 17th 04, 05:23 AM
Len Over 21

In article ,
(Expletive Deleted) writes:

In article , Dave Heil
writes:

Len Over 21 wrote:

This newsgroup is all about lets-pretend fish-story-tellers trying
to put down lots of other amateurs. All amateurishly.

You seem confused again, old timer. While you tell your fish stories
and put down radio amateurs, you aren't in fact a radio amateur.

I'm all for eliminating the morse code test from any radio license
examination. That's all.

"Go for it, EX purchasing agent..."

"Of course you did...right after you accepted the Presidential Medal
of Freedom for keeping Homeland Security safe through ham radio."

"Yeah, like a little few-page weekly is on par with the New York
TIMES."

"MODERN HF amateur radio: 'What was good in the 1930s is still
good in 2000s!'"

"Real ham radio is working DX on HF with CW."

"Quit trying to be a Host, sweetums. The only "host" you can be is
of a communicable disease."

"Go get some therapy."

Yep, it appears quite evident from the quoted material just from one of
your posts, Len. You just want to eliminate a code test.

Dave,

Remember this gem of an example of "civil debate" from the same author as the
above:

"Shut the hell up, you little USMC feldwebel. Learn to READ English."

(October 28, 2003)

Yes, Your Emminence, please ALSO remind others of that wonderful
group of expletives from a Model Amateur Extra such as -

"PUTZ!" "Your scumminess" "Scumbag"

And other assorted hateful words of anger.

Let's not forget that other gem that seemed to "write itself,"
"LANDFILL."

Some elitist pro-coders are so righteous and noble that others
are simply a dumping ground for their garbage?

"Civil debate."

On a scale of 0 through 10, such AMATEUR RADIO activity is good
for a -20.

Please keep all that in mind as you write up the Holy Orders of the
Day, your Emminence.

LHA / WMD
Old January 17th 04, 05:23 AM
Len Over 21

In article , Dave Heil
writes:

Len Over 21 wrote:

This newsgroup is all about lets-pretend fish-story-tellers trying
to put down lots of other amateurs. All amateurishly.

You seem confused again, old timer. While you tell your fish stories
and put down radio amateurs, you aren't in fact a radio amateur.

And you are not God...despite your claims to same...

I'm all for eliminating the morse code test from any radio license
examination. That's all.

"Go for it, EX purchasing agent..."

"Of course you did...right after you accepted the Presidential Medal
of Freedom for keeping Homeland Security safe through ham radio."

"Yeah, like a little few-page weekly is on par with the New York
TIMES."

"MODERN HF amateur radio: 'What was good in the 1930s is still
good in 2000s!'"

"Real ham radio is working DX on HF with CW."

"Quit trying to be a Host, sweetums. The only "host" you can be is
of a communicable disease."

"Go get some therapy."

Yep, it appears quite evident from the quoted material just from one of
your posts, Len. You just want to eliminate a code test.

I'd like to concentrate on the SUBJECTS instead of your incessant
prussian arrogant order-giving, Herr Robust.

If you feel that anyone you don't approve of is offensive to you,
your holiness, feel free to have their ISP get rid of their account
or at least forbid them to post in this free, open, unmoderated
newsgroup. Or just skip over the post.

Do you need to change the prescription in your monocle again,
Herr Robust? You can't continue to do an impression of a modern
prussian officer without it...go rent a DVD with Otto Preminger
in "Stalag 17" and study it some more.

LHA / WMD
Old January 18th 04, 09:20 PM
N2EY

In article om, "Dee D.
Flint" writes:

"N2EY" wrote in message
. com...
"KØHB" wrote in message

link.net...

Since
97.1 is headlined "Basis and Purpose", we can pretty much accept that
97.1(a) is the equivalent of a direct order.

An order to the entire ARS, not to individual amateurs. Of course, if
no individual amateurs do what 97.1(a) says, the ARS doesn't do it
either.

And a service which doesn't at least fulfill its B&P loses its reason
to exist.

I strongly support public service. Yet the Basis and Purpose statement
speaks of encouragement and enhancement of what we already do. It is not
granting us any special authorization or mandate to do what we already do.

Maybe. Did you know that the B&P boilerplate was only added in 1951?

To me, the B&P is essentially a sort of expectation of what FCC wants the ARS
to be doing "as a whole". Doesn't mean any particular ham has to do it, but
that
if we as a group don't do those things, eventually there will be no need for an
ARS
to exist.

[snip] Hans is right - take away the public service aspect, and the ARS'
reason
to exist is radically reduced, if not totally eliminated. Which may be
exactly why some nonhams find it necessary to deny that amateur radio
provides any public service, and to describe amateur radio as purely
"a fun hobby".

I have many times in many forums objected to the phrase "it's just a hobby"
for this very reason.

Well said!

I strongly believe in public service. I strongly
believe that it is one of, but not the only, justification for our
existence. However if we are going to put so much emphasis on this
particular element we have to face the fact that we are very remiss
addressing the other elements listed under Basis and Purpose. But again a
justification to exist is neither a requirement nor an authorization.

I agree 100% - I'd use the word "expectation".

73 de Jim, N2EY