Old March 24th 04, 12:21 PM
Steve Robeson K4CAP

Subject: Ham-radio is a hobby not a service
From: (Len Over 21)
Date: 3/23/2004 9:47 PM Central Standard Time
In article ,

(Steve
Robeson K4CAP) writes:

From:
(William)
Date: 3/21/2004 7:14 PM Central Standard Time

I suggest you tell Average Citizen that he or she needs to have an
amateur radio operator strapped to their hip for emergency purposes.

Where did I speak of the average citizen?

That's who I've been speaking of all along. Do try to keep up.

JJ...please take CAREEFUL note.

YOU were talking about disaster preparedness, those sets of plans in
place by your local or state EMA, FEMA, etc. And in the overall scheme
of things, you (and I) are correct.

Brian is correct. You are not.

I am sure you think so.

FEMA and TEMA officials tend to think otherwise, and for SOME reason, I
value THIER opinons more than I do yours, Lennie........

The scope of operations by the larger emergency agencies in the
United States are available for viewing on the Internet.

Yes, they are.

And for those who care to be INVOLVED in those opertions, know that that
the "scope of operations" exceeds the PR spin provided on those websites.

You really do need to get Mrs Putz to let you out more, Sir Scummy.

Brain, on the other hand, having been UNABLE to successfully argue

against
the value of Amateur Radio in those plans, has shifted his definition of
"emergency comms" to those of STRICTLY "the average citizen".

Again incorrect. Brian Burke has stated the obvious condition of
emergency situations which affect ALL citizens, "average" to
the self-posturing, self-important minority who think only they are
right and "superior" to the average.

I am not "superior", however in this case I AM right.

In the very narrow slice of "emergency comms" that Brian the Brainless

has
wedged himself into, yes, John Q Public is going to whip out the old

cellphone
and call 9-1-1 to get a cop, report a fire, or request EMS for an accident

or
medical emergency...Just like he would have dialed a payphone 5 years ago.

That is more like "dialing a 'payphone' [sic] 25 years ago."

Try to keep up with urban conditions and the number of pay telephones
versus cellular handsets and subscriptions for same.

There is NO "Brian the Brainless" in here. Try to hold down the
insulting behavior.

Sure there is...Just like there's a "Dill Sergeant", "Reverend Jimmy", etc
etc etc.

There's even a Lennie the Liar.

The 911 Emergency Number plan has been in existance for far more
that "5 years." It is a national plan. It was implemented primarily
to handle the small-scale emergencies common everywhere in this
United States. Such calls are the majority of situations, not "a
very narrow slice" as you incorrectly state.

Less than 40% of ACTUAL CALLS to 9-1-1 services are bonafide
"emergencies", big or small.

In some cases the number drops to 20%.

These numbers per APCO and subject to on-going sampling.

9-1-1 has become the de facto "police" or "ambulance" number, whether or
not an emergency exists.

In a true "disaster preparedness" mode, cellphones may suffer all of

the
bad things that you and I have said they will.

Incorrect again. In a "true disaster" SITUATION (not a 'mode') the
telephone system may be overloaded. However, the same thing
may be said of all amateur radio in that same situation. Hypothetical
situations are merely hypothetical, not real things.

If every Amateur licensee was on-the-air during an "emergency" occupying a
discreet channel of his/her choice, over 80% of all available Amateur
frequencies would be empty.

It's highly unlikely that "Amateur Radio" will be "overloaded".

Hypotheses should reflect on objective consideration of the entire
situation and its infrastructure. Hypotheses should not be subjective
conjecture based on personal desires, thoughts or preferences. You
are guilty of subjective conjecture in your disordered hypothesis.

Nope.

Cellphone and hardline common carrier services HAVE suffered network-wide
failures in a number of different disaster situations.

This is not a "hypothesis" or "conjecture", Lennie.

It's happened.

THAT assertion is made upon the evidence that such incidents have

ALREADY
HAPPENED, and those occurences have been sufficient to impress the REAL
"emergency comms" planners to continue to incorporate Amateur Radio in a

wide
range of plans.

The "real emergency communications planners" are no doubt very
well aware that the telephone system can become overloaded with
callers at the onset of any large emergency. However, such
overloads affect only the switch capabilities of most subscribers,
not the users of leased lines which do not route through switches
(broadcast stations' audio, fire department station alert circuits).

Not all of which enjoy such dedicated lines.

And when teh switch itself becomes incapacitated, then it doesn't matter
HOW "dedicated" the line is...broke is broke.

Large-scale emergencies do not require "notification" of an event's
occurrance in most cases. An earthquake is most definitely felt
over a large geographical area. A tall skyscraper pair hit by
hijacked airliners is visible to tens of thousands of city dwellers.
A raging firestorm creates enough smoke to be seen to the
visible horizon. A hurricane or tornado is preceded by spectacular
(and unfortunately familiar to long-time dwellers) cloud conditions;
some tornados and nearly all hurricanes are spotted by weather
satellites and tracked, with public notifications, by NOAA. Floods
are nearly all preceded by high rainfall storms. Such "real"
emergency conditions may result in destruction of amateur radio
capabilities as well as commercial or government communiations.

And they have. Thankfully, ARES and other agencies have made
accomodations for being able to pack in back-up equipment, mobile repeaters,
etc.

Not "imagined" equipment. REAL equipment.

Reiterating from another thread, the major emergency agencies all
have websites for easy access to their organization and policy.
Information from them is public and accessible on request.

And your point is...?!?!

Is there some agency that has amateur radio as a prime method
of emergency communications by any emergency agency in the
United States? I think not. Plans and policies of the "real"
emergency agencies will place amateur radio as a secondary,
or fall-back method of communications. First choice is the
existing public safety agency communications and
communications service providers such as telephone companies.

Lennie WHO said Amateur Radio is a "PRIME" method, other than YOU...?!?!

This is not "urban legend" or based upon some " feel good news release

of
the ARRL" as Lennie the Loser would have us believe. Real, front-page news
stuff. Sorry he won't admit it, but that only helps to substantiate MY

claims
about his "superior intellect".

Personal pejoratives against another do not win your argument.

No, but your failings to substantiate anything you've asserted do.

The information about "real" emergency agencies is out there for
all to see. If all you can see is what you want to see, then you
can only be accused of narrow mental tunnel vision.

Sorry, Your Putziness...I am INVOLVED with many of these agencies.

Regardless of what some PR-intense website may or maynot say, it's what
they can actaully DO that counts.

So they may, but in times of emergency, the military and other civil
authorites will not rely on cell phones to handle major emergency
communications.

And it's always about the military and civil authorities, isn't it?

I am no longer an instrument of national policy. Are you?

As long as my Right to Vote has not been revoked, you're danged tooting
I am!

Brian used the term "instrument of national policy" as a euphemism
for military service. In this case he indicated he was no longer IN
the military service.

Regardless of what methodology he insinutated, Your Scumminess, I am as
much an "instrument of national policy" as long as I participate in the
programs dictated by that policy, and as long as I have a vote in it, my status
as a member of the Armed Forces not withstanding.

BTW: The Armed Forces are an instrument of FOREIGN policy...Posse
Commitatus refers.

Voting Rights are guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution and are NOT
restricted to military service personnel. Review Amendments 15, 17,
19, 24, and 26 to see Voting Rights for United States citizens.

If you have been discharged from military service in the United States
then you are no longer in that military service.

I never said I was.

Only YOU keep trying to amke some inference that I am, Lennie.

Try again, blockhead.

I am a veteran of U.S. Army service, 1952 to 1960. My Honorable
Discharge was granted in April, 1960. I have always been a citizen
of the United States and have managed to vote in every election
in my residence location since 1956. Regardless, you tried to
prevent my communications with my government over federal law
pending on 25 January 1999 (see FCC ECFS 98-143 for that date).

You cannot deny the above since your attempt is public information
and available for all to see.

Why do you assume "power" that you do not have?

I "assumed" nothing.

You are free to say what you want.

I am free to counter it with my own opinion.

THAT is a guarantee of the same governmental documents that you like to
cite...remember...?!?!

Why do you continue to post petty personal pejoratives against
those who disagree with you?

Perhaps becasue of the same "petty personal pejoratives" who disagree with
me, Lennie...

Seek mental health therapy. It will improve your thinking and be
better for all of us.

Seek it yourself, Lennie.

Seems to me that it's just you and Brain that have a problem with me. And
if you'd stop lying and misrepresenting the character and facts relative to
Amateur Radio, you wouldn't even have that...

Steve, K4YZ

Old March 25th 04, 12:04 AM
William

From:
(William)
Date: 3/22/2004 6:26 PM Central Standard Time
JJ wrote in message
Steve Robeson K4CAP wrote:

From the nature of the posts you have made ehre, I doubt that any

training
you have had has been anything anyone would call "adequate".

Not so, he has been trained to program every emergency number he could
possibably need into his cell phone speed dial.

Good grief! Why wouldn't I just dial 911?

Because 9-1-1 (...NOT "911") is not always who you need to call.

Steve, perhaps it's """9-1-1""" on your telephone, but when I enter 9
dash 1 dash one, I get a recording saying that the number I dialed is
not in service.

Not every call to Fire, Police or EMS rates a 9-1-1 response.

It is here.

Do you know the difference? Do you KNOW what's an "emergency" as opposed
to urgent or routine...?!?!

All of your posts are emergencies.

Lots of ALLCAPS, """QUOTES""", """ACCUSATIONS""", and """DEMANDS"""

However when the cell
network is either down or so overloaded because of everyone attempting
to call home to say, "I'm ok turn on your tv", that he can't get a call
through, he can use his cell phone to play games until the emergency is
over.

Ever notice how immense those pyramid alert rosters get at the bottom?

Actually, the network goes down trying to notify enough amateur
volunteers who signed on but really aren't available.

Most of the "amateur volunteers" I know have scanners, pagers and radios
on...No cellphone necessary.

Gosh. You don't say?

I'll bet they got cell phones, too.