Old March 22nd 04, 05:33 PM
JJ

Steve Robeson K4CAP wrote:

From the nature of the posts you have made ehre, I doubt that any training
you have had has been anything anyone would call "adequate".

Not so, he has been trained to program every emergency number he could
possibably need into his cell phone speed dial. However when the cell
network is either down or so overloaded because of everyone attempting
to call home to say, "I'm ok turn on your tv", that he can't get a call
through, he can use his cell phone to play games until the emergency is
over.

Old March 23rd 04, 12:26 AM
William

JJ wrote in message ...
Steve Robeson K4CAP wrote:

From the nature of the posts you have made ehre, I doubt that any training
you have had has been anything anyone would call "adequate".

Not so, he has been trained to program every emergency number he could
possibably need into his cell phone speed dial.

Good grief! Why wouldn't I just dial 911?

However when the cell
network is either down or so overloaded because of everyone attempting
to call home to say, "I'm ok turn on your tv", that he can't get a call
through, he can use his cell phone to play games until the emergency is
over.

Ever notice how immense those pyramid alert rosters get at the bottom?

Actually, the network goes down trying to notify enough amateur
volunteers who signed on but really aren't available.
Old March 23rd 04, 12:29 AM
William

JJ wrote in message ...
William wrote:

I've been used to that. But there's a new technology on board now. Get used to it.

Which isn't even a consideration in the military or civil authorities
plans for use in emergency comms during a major disaster

It must be or they wouldn't have a cellphone hanging off every hip.
Old March 23rd 04, 01:02 AM
William

(Steve Robeson K4CAP) wrote in message ...
Subject: Ham-radio is a hobby not a service
From:
(William)
Date: 3/20/2004 6:49 AM Central Standard Time
(Len Over 21) wrote in message
In article ,
(William) writes:

Steve, you need to tone it down a bit. You're being rude and
obnoxious. I'll not respond to your insanity in-kind. Best of luck
to you.

He can't tone it down. No control there. Obsessive personal
necessity to go off on an emotional bender every time someone
hints at disagreeing with him and his "pride" about his personal
activities which he deems far superior to what others do.

The unfortunate part is that his lack of emotional control in post
after post makes the hobby look bad to others. He can't see
that and refuses to recognize it, so we all get to see the name-
calling and damning epithets directed against others.

LHA / WMD

Being a Nurse, he probably has an excellent health plan that he could
use to get well. But admitting a problem is the first step.

What problem?

Not tolerating liars and fools?

Brain...YOU made an assertion of fact.

I have asked you (several times) to validate it. You have refused or
ignored it.

No, Steve, I have responded to your twisted up "quote" of me. It
shows you to be the liar that you are and shows that you manipulated
my statement in a deliberate and deceitful way.

Then you make accusations based upon your misquote, and attack,
attack, attack.

You've done it again more recently.

You take the prize.

I have shown you to be that which you loathe.

Self-hatred is an unhealthy thing. Think about counseling.
Old March 23rd 04, 02:57 AM
JJ

William wrote:

JJ wrote in message ...

William wrote:

I've been used to that. But there's a new technology on board now. Get used to it.

Which isn't even a consideration in the military or civil authorities
plans for use in emergency comms during a major disaster

It must be or they wouldn't have a cellphone hanging off every hip.

They are not going to rely on that cell phone for their major comms
during an emergency. The cell network is not included in disaster plans
as a viable means for emergency comms during a major disaster by the
military and civil emergency authorities, ham radio is.

Old March 23rd 04, 03:13 AM
JJ

William wrote:

While I realize that a family planning for disaster doesn't get to be
on a recall roster at the State Police or ARC, they don't get armbands
and it's not glamorous and they don't get awards and citations for it,
EVERY FAMILY IN A DISASTER AREA WHO DOES NOT DRAIN STATE AND FEDERAL
EMERGENCY RESOURCES IS AN ASSET IN THAT EMERGENCY.

Emergencies aren't just about continuity of government for crying out
loud!

Every family should have a disaster kit, the FEMA site list those items
that should be included in the kit. They list a portable,
battery-powered radio or television and extra batteries.
Nowhere do they list a cell phone, though they do state you should have
a list of phone numbers of places you could go to. I would certainly
think one would take their cell phone in an emergency. Families or
individuals will be using the cell phone for their own purposes, the
military and civil emergency authorities will not be relying on the cell
network as their primary, secondary or even third source for emergency
comms as the cell network will, it it is working, be overloaded by those
families and other individuals try to figure out where they should go,
what they should do, calling relatives and friends to see if they are
OK, ect.
If an emergency official can use his cell phone to communicate he will,
but he is not going to count on it as his primary ability to communicate
with other emergency personel.
The cell network may well play an important part for communication for
the AC, but not for military and civil emergency comms. Ham radio can
and will it needed.