Old March 23rd 04, 04:54 AM
Steve Robeson K4CAP

Subject: Ham-radio is a hobby not a service
From: (William)
Date: 3/22/2004 6:09 PM Central Standard Time
(Steve Robeson K4CAP) wrote in message
From:
(William)
Date: 3/19/2004 6:14 PM Central Standard Time
(Steve Robeson K4CAP) wrote in message

Only a callous idiot like you would try to rationalize what Lennie did

as
"OK".

Your brain is squirming like a toad thinking up ways to discredit Len.

"Your brain is squirming like a toad"...?!?!

You're going to have to do better than that, Brain. Day-tripping back to
the 60's again...?!?!

Lennie discredited himself...I didn't have to put ANY effort into it at
all.

Claiming some fraternalism or professing to not break the chain of

trust
and honor among Soliders is one thing...THAT is part of the Armed Forces.

Congrations, we are in complete agreement somehow.

Obviously not, otherwise you wouldn't have pulled that "squirming"
silliness out of one orifice or another...

Trying to embellish one's own personal "achivements" (or lack thereof)
based upon someone else's sacrifices is absolutely callous and cruel.

Yet you do everything possible to get back into some kind, any kind, of
uniform.

Everyone wears a uniform of some kind, Brain. I can't think of too many
jobs that don't have dress code of one form or another.

Why?

Why not? There is something wrong with any of the organizations I belong
to?

Better yet...What organizations do YOU belong to, Brain?

Who pulls your strings when Lennie isn't pulling them?

Do you think that it will embellish one's own personal achievements?

Unlike Lennie, the "embellishments" are my own. I don't need to stand on
anyone's grave.

Do you?

Steve, K4YZ

Old March 23rd 04, 05:22 AM
Steve Robeson K4CAP

From: (William)
Date: 3/22/2004 6:43 PM Central Standard Time

Emergencies aren't just about continuity of government for crying out
loud!

Oh?

Brain, WHO, in the advent of a major disaster, is going to make sure that
food get's delivered, that the lights are back on ASAP, or that the water
supply is protected...?!?! Who's going to make sure the hospital has
resources, or that the police or other security services are going to be there
to protect your home? (yeahyeah...I know you're gonna give me that "dead, cold
fingers" routine about personal firearms...I have a couple, but I can only hit
so many targets so quickly and for so long...)

Just one more example of what you DON'T know about emergency preparedness,
Brain, altho I will marginally agree with your comment that those who don't
drain disaster assets are themself an asset.

However, you should note on the FEMA and State EMA websites that they
ask for the Average Citizen to make plans -and- preparations in the
event of a disaster.

Yes, they do...

And except for Mormons and the reasonably "well off", I don't know of too
many people who can stockpile food for more than a week's rations or can leave
the disaster area for the cottage in the mountains so as to NOT be a drain on
those assets.

But since you brought it up, Brain, if "the big one" (enter any disaster
of your choice shy of total destruction he_____________) should hit YOUR
town, how many hours/days/weeks can you keep YOUR family from needing ANY of
those services?

Your turn.

Steve, K4YZ

Old March 23rd 04, 05:29 AM
Steve Robeson K4CAP

From: (William)
Date: 3/22/2004 6:53 PM Central Standard Time
From:
(William)
Date: 3/21/2004 7:14 PM Central Standard Time
And it's always about the military and civil authorities, isn't it?

Uhhhhhhh....Brain....Other than "military" or "civilian", what other
categories are there?

Steve, please notice the correct quote would be, "And it's always
about the military and civil authorities, isn't it?"

Please notice the word, "authorities" in my statement.

Your brain is squirming like a toad. You twist my words as you do
sooooooo many other things.

I don't need to "twist (your) words", Brain. They speak for themselves.
If you find that I am tripping you up with them, perhaps you should choose them
more carefully?

Your correct paraphrase should be (if you were an honest person),

"""Uhhhhhhh....Brain....Other than "military authorities" or "civilian
authorities", what other categories are there?"""

Honesty is not a problem in this case, Brain.

Having once again exposed your failings, you look for a scapegoat. Look
in the mirror.

I reply, The citizens. WE THE PEOPLE! Ever heard of them?

Yep...I'm one of them.

So, now you're going to make this a debate over Constitutional
definitions?

Unable to make headway here, so you're shifting gears again? OK...If not
for the elected government or the Armed Forces, who should be responsible for
community-wide emergency preparedness? I already agree that each family should
take it's own initiative...we're talking about restoring the lights, providing
fresh water, making sure that the community is secure...

Steve, K4YZ

Old March 23rd 04, 05:38 AM
Steve Robeson K4CAP

From: (William)
Date: 3/22/2004 7:02 PM Central Standard Time
From:
(William)
Date: 3/20/2004 6:49 AM Central Standard Time

I have asked you (several times) to validate it. You have refused or
ignored it.

No, Steve, I have responded to your twisted up "quote" of me. It
shows you to be the liar that you are and shows that you manipulated
my statement in a deliberate and deceitful way.

Untrue, Brain.

You've not responded to the SPECIFIC question of what MAJOR role the
unlicensed services play in "emergency comms"

That's a very specific question, one you've NOT addressed.

There's nothing twisted or manipulated...YOU said that these other
services "play a major role"...I've asked you to provide specifics.

You haven't.

I even created a specific thread trying to prompt you to answer it.

All you do is call me names and accuse me of being "nuts".

Then you make accusations based upon your misquote, and attack,
attack, attack.

There's no "attack", Brain. You make assertions you can't/won't back up
with some sort of corroboration.

If you are tired of getting your toes stepped on, perhaps you shouldn't be
sticking them out where they can get stepped on...?!?!

You've done it again more recently.

You take the prize.

I have shown you to be that which you loathe.

Self-hatred is an unhealthy thing. Think about counseling.

It's "counselling", Brain, and what I loathe are people like you and
Lennie.

Try again, PuppetBoy.

Perhaps you'll come up with something believeable this time.....

Steve, K4YZ

Old March 24th 04, 10:54 AM
Steve Robeson K4CAP

From: (Len Over 21)
Date: 3/23/2004 9:47 PM Central Standard Time
In article ,

(Steve
Robeson K4CAP) writes:

I have shown you to be that which you loathe.

Self-hatred is an unhealthy thing. Think about counseling.

It's "counselling", Brain, and what I loathe are people like you and
Lennie.

Then wave your arms around, invoke the magic incantation, and
the world will be remade entirely to your desires.

Your imaginary world will be even better than you dreamed!

I again ask you as to which "imaginary" world you refer...?!?!

The one in which I am a licensed Amateur Radio operator? (oooopps! FCC
says I AM a licensed Amateur operator)

Or the one in which I am a licensed aviator? (oooop again! The FAA says
I got one of them, too!)

Perhaps you meant the imaginary world where I am a licensed nurse? (DRAT!
Got one active and two inactive licenses which says THAT'S true too!) I also
have the documents attesting to my participation in EMS (including past
licenses from California) and current endorsements in Advanced Cardiac Life
Support and Pediatric Advanced Life Support.

Anything else...?!?!

Meanwhile, back in REALITY, you will find that Webster's New
World Compact School and Office Dictionary allows the spelling
of the verb transitive form of "counsel" to be either 'counselling'
or 'counseling.' One or two Ls.

Either way, try to get some...mental health counsel.

Either way YOU care to spell it, Lennie, I am not the one in this forum
that is in need of it. That would be reserved for the guy who has no vested
interest in the Amateur Radio Service (or claims he doesn't, anyway) yet
persists in antagonizing those who do.

You and the rest of us will be aided by such.

Go waste someone else's time if you don't.

Remind me of your Amateur licensure again, Lennie?

WHOSE time is being wasted here?

Steve, K4YZ

Old March 24th 04, 11:17 AM
Steve Robeson K4CAP

From: (Len Over 21)
Date: 3/23/2004 9:47 PM Central Standard Time
In article ,

(Steve
Robeson K4CAP) writes:

It just eats away at Lennie and Brain's rants that those plans include
Amateur Radio to the degree that they do. No problem...Just makes them look
that much more foolish.

Not at all. Both Brian and I have explained what is actually used
in emergency communications and by what means.

No, what Brain has "explained" is nothing at all.

Brain has asserted that the unlicensed radio services play a "major role"
in "emergency comms", but ahs yet to provide even the first example or
reference of thier use.

The "degree to which amateur radio is used" is a secondary role,
one of several fall-back methods to use in case of loss of one or
more of the primaries. The primary method is use of existing
infrastructure and public safety services' communications already
in existance.

Yep. No one has claimed otherwise.

What is "foolish" is all the preening and posturing about your
self-defined "importance in emergencies" from having been granted
a license in what is basically an avocational radio activity, a hobby.

There's not "preening" or "posturing" here, Lennie.

I would suggest a check of your vision. You have lost perspective
in viewing amateur radio in the very large picture of other radio
services. You are exhibiting mental tunnel vision. Not good for you.

What I "saw" (or rather DIDN'T see..) was that neither Leonard H. Anderson
or Brian Burke were participants or consultants at Heartland Response 04. This
was a major effort put on by FEMA and TEMA and did involve several radio
services or nets, including Civil Air Patrol, ARES and SHARES. It included
agencies from four states and had observers from both the Pentagon and the
White House in addition to those agencies already cited.

Good for me since I was in the middle of it and had one heck of a good
time.

Steve, K4YZ

Old March 24th 04, 11:51 AM
Steve Robeson K4CAP

From: (Len Over 21)
Date: 3/23/2004 9:47 PM Central Standard Time
In article ,

(Steve
Robeson K4CAP) writes:

In article , JJ

writes:

Sure they do, but in the case of a 9/11 emergency they would be hard
pressed to use them. Cell phone are great during the planning, but when
the real emergency comes, they become useless for emergency comms.

Not always true.

You want to select the 11 September 2001 Attack on America as
a typical emergency but that was a very UNtypical emergency
that no one could foresee or plan for. In the "9/11" incident ALL
methods of communications were strained.

A point we can agree on.

That isn't up for any discussion.

OW!...Lennie can't stand being agreed with!

THAT had to hurt!

There are NO verifiable stories about amateur radio doing anything
to aid anyone in the first few hours of the Attack in New York City
on 11 Sep 01. Conversely, even though the NYC Emergency
Center was almost destroyed in that Attack, police and fire
department personnel were in constant communications before and
immediately after the Attack in and around the World Trade Center.
Add to that the medical people, NYC officials, and various utilities
and other businesses who got into immediate action. All of that is
quite well documented in many and various media outside of
hobby groups.

Now THAT we CAN'T.

There have already been a half dozen recriminating "inquests" as to why
various communications failures occured with FDNY, NYPD, PAPF, EMS and othr
agencies.

Exactly who was "recriminated?" There were investigations, yes, but
"inquests" also?

Too bad you don't subscribe to any EMS/Rescue journals, Lennie...Ya might
learn something about radio other than what you spew about in here.....It's a
bitter subject within Fire/EMS circles right now.

Recrimination is the act answering an accuser by accusing them
in return. That is what you do to others in here. Who and where
were the agencies doing this "recrimination?"

New York. NYPD. The Port Authority. FDNY. NYOES.

An inquest is specifically a judicial inquiry, as before a jury. Which
agency appeared at any inquest and at what time? What was the
ruling?

THAT has been reported in "USA Today" and other nationwide media
sources.

I don't read USA Today, only the Los Angeles and New York Times,
Time magazine, Newsweek, and sometimes the Wall Street
Journal and Variety. I don't recall the "inquests" or "recriminations"
you allege. Please supply details on specifics.

Perhaps you should read some Amateur publications. Even THEY have made
reference to some of the "boards" that have been called.

And almost every plan from the Department of Defense on down to "Podunk
Hollow USA" have some provision for including (or at least considering)
implementing Amateur Radio as a recourse.

As a secondary, not a primary use.

Lennie...

Only YOU and Brain keep trying to insinuate that Amateur Radio would be
"primary" communicaitons source.

And PLEASE note MY comment where I SPECIICALLY STATED "...implementing
Amateur Radio as a recourse"...Or do I need to define "recourse" for you?

The Auxilliary Communications Service of the state of California
accepts volunteers with or without amateur license and doesn't
even consider amateur radio as a primary fall-back medium for
large-scale emergencies.

You had better reassess using that "doesn't even consider amateur radio"
comment vis-a-vis ACS.

According to one of APCO's vice presidents (who happened to be at HR04),
ACS very thoroughly utilizes Amateur Radio and Amateur Radio operators.

Since he was part-and-parcel of the organization of ACS, I'd assume he
knows...

A case in point is the "other" "9/11" Attack on the Pentagon in
DC....(Snip to....)
After crash fire control and search and rescue was coordinated by on-
site military and civilian communications, not by amateur radio.

Lennie...why do you keep trying to make a point of this?

No one here has even remotely suggested that it was otherwise.

YOU have.

No, I've not. I've not made a single reference to the activities at the
Pentagon as it pertains to the events of Spetember 11th.

You will please cite the quote that you suggests that I did?

There are no viable
reports of amateur radio being used while that most definite
emergency situation was happening. (In reference to the 4th
hijacking...SR)

"SR?" That wasn't in my post. Why are you adding things?

I "added" a clarification that you were refering to the fourth hijacking.

I stated that clearly and added my initials as evidence that it was I, not
you that put that there.

If you are so feeble as to not be able to follow that without having to
requote the ENTIRE post, then I will, but it will just eat up bandwidth.

I don't think you are THAT idiotic, but if I need to do it to help keep
you focused, I'll be glad to do it in the future.

However Amateur Radio WAS employed in the post-incident recovery at the
site.

In WHAT NTSB "recovery?" The NTSB has its own investigators
and recovery procedures, such procedures limited to hired salvage
operators and military personnel.

Describe this "post-incident recovery" and tell us what the NTSB
has documented and where we might find all that for reference.

Try the press, Lennie.

Try the Pennsylvania Office of Emergency Services.

Try the Office of the Governor of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania who
issued a letter of appreciation to ARES for thier service at the site.

The "9/11" Attack is popular to espouse because of the enormous
emotional impact to all Americans. But, it was an ATTACK done
by other humans against all of us and definitely NOT some kind of
natural event emergency or disaster. The "kamikazi" nature of
this suicide attack was NOT anticipated by anyone and all were
in surprise and all had to work through the immediate aftermath
with whatever reseources were available.

Oh...so as long as the causal effect was "intentional", then we can
discount using Amateur Radio to receover from teh post incident effects,
Lennie...?!?!

No...because the amateur radio assistance was quite small
compared to the overall task of recovery, including the assistance
of other volunteer groups who aided the city of New York.

And you base this "small" quantification upon what reference? You having
not read about it in the LA Times?

The National Transportation and Safety Board does not "train
radio amateurs" to recover crash evidence. Try not to falsify your
exaggerations by spouting lies and assorted untruths.

The "mistruth" here, Lennie H is that you alledge that I suggested that
Amateurs "recover crash evidence."

You now have yet another lie to apologize for, Lennie.

And you can, in the same effort, cite where I allegedly said that Amateurs
were involved in "crash evidence" recovery.

Quick Lennie...an excuse...quick!

Steve, K4YZ